Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

You keep posting the death numbers for children, but where are the numbers for other negative outcomes? You are confident that COVID is not a risk for children, so you must have also looked at those numbers. I would be interested in seeing them.

Also, as has been discussed many times, large numbers of unvaccinated people getting sick also impacts the vaccinated indirectly in many ways.

As for "Then what", the answer is, we don't know yet. There is no easy answer to getting out of the pandemic, we need to take it a step at a time, and keep adjusting our approach until we find answers.
And we haven't even fully committed to the first step yet.

Touchdown

Remember when Florida's stats on cases, positivity, and hospitalization started to decline from this current wave and a bunch of people were like all "whew! let's focus on projections of when this nightmare ends!"? Even *before* those stats crested, people were pointing to the day it will be done with and all will be right.

Well... they were forgetting something.... the lagging death rate:

View attachment 588727

BTW, that still over 8,000 people in the hospital every day with severe illness or close-to-death suffering from COVID.

And that's just Florida.

So, maybe instead of being anxious about the positivity rate in Orange County so you don't have to wear a mask to watch PhilharMagic, we can keep some perspective that we're still in the middle of a world-wide pandemic.
However, those people already died 2 weeks ago, because FL takes forever to report deaths. The way things are going FL is going to be the safest place to be in the country in a month (with respect to Covid) due to the high immunity.

aliceismad

What's going to happen when some percentage of essential workers for military contractors decide to quit because of it and put our military supply at risk? My friend said they were already having trouble filling open positions before the mandate due to the current situation where too many people have opted to remain out of the work force.
Yeah. I know enough essential military contractors to feel it will be just fine.

Chip Chipperson

With COVID raging through the country , how well do you think we'd manage right now if a hypothetical war broke out? Something has to give, and if it takes mandates and finding new people to fill slots, so be it. We can't continue with a situation where a crucial part of our ability to deploy and support military personnel could suddenly shut down due to a largely preventable illness.

And just to provide some bona fides, I was an army active duty physician in my previous life. Got deployed three times, did thousands of pre-and-post deployment physicals for soldiers and civilians. So, you might say I know a little bit about keeping the fighting force healthy.

Exactly! There have been supply chain disruptions in various sectors for the past 18 months. There are people waiting 7-9 months for a new couch. There have been meat shortages because COVID outbreaks forced companies to shut their plants until it was safe enough to reopen and they had enough healthy employees to operate. Every time I go to the grocery store, there are signs up in different aisles alerting shoppers to supply shortages for various products. The assertion that it's more likely to have a mass walkout of employees over an OSHA mandate than it is for those same employees to experience a COVID outbreak in their workplace is a serious stretch at best and outright dishonest at worst.

DisneyDebRob

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Now we have a story of a couple being kicked out of a restaurant for wearing a mask to protect their child. This is incredible.

I think (hope) places like this are in the minority and may be doing it just to get free publicity.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
However, those people already died 2 weeks ago, because FL takes forever to report deaths. The way things are going FL is going to be the safest place to be in the country in a month (with respect to Covid) due to the high immunity.

U.S. Coronavirus Data: Frequently Asked Questions​

What is the source of this data?
Since late January 2020, The Times has tracked coronavirus cases and deaths as they are announced using data released by countries, states and local health officials. Times staff work around the clock to create, verify and maintain this data.​
And that's why the NYT death totals are more up to date than the state, which has an admitted two week lag. E.g., from the FL dashboard... at least it did since I can't find an official FL dashboard any more. From their weekly .pdf...

1632419147693.png

ABQ

I think (hope) places like this are in the minority and may be doing it just to get free publicity.
I agree, though I wonder just how well the husband's mask is functioning with that beard of his.
1632419160727.png

Never mind that the mom's mask is hardly properly fitting either.

correcaminos

What is level is "acceptable?" It is likely that your definition is a lot lower than mine.

I picked 80%-85% because 0-4 y/o aren't going to be eligible anytime soon so that's some percentage. Then there are the medically unable to be vaccinated of a few percent and there's always going to be at least 5% who just won't get vaccinated no matter what on some religious justification or something.

Also, the advisory committee basically said these are the recommendations for now and they will revisit. I'm not anti-booster if the studies show that they are required but mandating a vaccine that has to be constantly boosted is very different from one that is a two dose and done. IF boosters end up being required every 6-8 months to be considered fully vaccinated, the mandate would end up being for an ongoing medical treatment.
0-4 with moderna should be soon. Same with Pfizer. Well 6 mo plus.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Exactly! There have been supply chain disruptions in various sectors for the past 18 months. There are people waiting 7-9 months for a new couch. There have been meat shortages because COVID outbreaks forced companies to shut their plants until it was safe enough to reopen and they had enough healthy employees to operate. Every time I go to the grocery store, there are signs up in different aisles alerting shoppers to supply shortages for various products. The assertion that it's more likely to have a mass walkout of employees over an OSHA mandate than it is for those same employees to experience a COVID outbreak in their workplace is a serious stretch at best and outright dishonest at worst.
Indeed, there were supply shortages for months and months and months before any sort of mandates.

Businesses that have reported walk-outs and quitting due to mandates have said that it is a very small minority of their employees that leave. After all, it's unlikely to be more than the 25% of the population currently 'vaccine hesitant.' One of the airlines just reported that after their employee mandate, they are at 97% compliance. WDW just had employees stage a protest over mandatory vaccines, and there were just 25 that showed up.

The idea that mandates will wreck the economy due to people quitting is never going to be the case. Especially since, at this time, exemptions and recourse to weekly testing is still in the mix.

Heppenheimer

I agree, though I wonder just how well the husband's mask is functioning with that beard of his.
View attachment 588733

Never mind that the mom's mask is hardly properly fitting either.
I'll stop yelling at the kids on my lawn in a minute, but allow me this one rant. I lived overseas for most of the period of 2008-2014, and I was sent to Afghanistan twice during that period. So, imagine my shock when I returned to the US in 2014 to find that the Taliban-style beard had become a popular fashion choice in the US (it wasn't in Europe at the time, at least when I lived there). This would be like WWII veterans returning home to find that German army uniforms were in style.

I thought, well, at least this look will probably die out soon... and yet here we are in 2021.

All right kids, I'm going back inside to watch Lawrence Welk on the television machine. You stay off my lawn!

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I'll stop yelling at the kids on my lawn in a minute, but allow me this one rant. I lived overseas for most of the period of 2008-2014, and I was sent to Afghanistan twice during that period. So, imagine my shock when I returned to the US in 2014 to find that the Taliban-style beard had become a popular fashion choice in the US (it wasn't in Europe at the time, at least when I lived there). This would be like WWII veterans returning home to find that German army uniforms were in style.

I thought, well, at least this look will probably die out soon... and yet here we are in 2021.

All right kids, I'm going back inside to watch Lawrence Welk on the television machine. You stay off my lawn!
Problem is that the men who caught onto a fashionable trimmed beard or stubble in the past two decades got lazy during the pandemic and grew unkempt, long 'pandemic beards.'

Hopefully, going back to work in person or getting back into the dating seen will change that.

I don't know how those who have partners aren't hounded by them daily to get back to normal grooming.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Florida on Thursday reported 1,213 more deaths and 4,215 additional COVID-19 cases to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, according to Miami Herald calculations of CDC data.

All but 131 of the newly reported deaths — about 89% — occurred since Aug. 26, according to the Herald analysis. About 56% of the newly reported died in the past two weeks, the analysis showed. The majority of deaths happened during Florida’s latest surge in COVID-19 cases, fueled by the delta variant."

"In the past seven days, on average, the state has added 328 deaths and 8,227 cases to the daily cumulative total, according to Herald calculations of CDC data."

"There were 7,928 people hospitalized for COVID-19 in Florida, according to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Thursday report. This data is reported from 260 Florida hospitals. That is 259 fewer patients than Wednesday’s report, but also from 24 more reporting hospitals than the previous 236.

COVID-19 patients occupy 13.57% of all inpatient beds in the latest report’s hospitals, compared with 14.99% in the previous day’s reporting hospitals.

Of the people hospitalized in Florida, 2,041 people were in intensive care unit beds, a decrease of 87. That represents about 31.24% of the state’s ICU hospital beds compared with 32.84% the previous day."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom