Why is there no merch at WDW

MeekoFlit

Original Poster
Hello! I am currently in Disney World and realised there is no merch like before. AK has 0 dinosaur merch, MK has 0 Winnie the Pooh merch or barely.. They are no plushies, no "critters" merch in Frontierland, no animal stuff in AK, maybe 10 lame choices of magic band..Poor choice of POTC merch, Tower of Terror has no merch either, no yeti merch at Everest.... etc etc etc. It's the same boring stuff allover the resort. What's going on???
Looking at everyone in the parks, I swear, I don't see shopping bags on strollers or in people's hands. In the buses either. People are not buying the current merch.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

I'm trying to think back to our trip just before Easter and while there was some repeat merch, it wasn't the same stuff everywhere; there was plenty of variety at that time, iirc. That said, the offerings in some shops were sometimes slim, especially in the Japan pavilion and some of the clothing shops in HS. Hopefully what you're seeing has more to do with temporary supply chain disruptions and the like, vs TWDC deciding to generalize merch around/across the parks.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
You have to be making a bad joke because there is no other explanation for claiming there's no Pooh, Pirates, or TOT merch when they each have their own themed gift shops.

Last edited:

Raxel7851

A lot of it may be supply issues too. There’s a shortage of containers and truck drivers to deliver the containers. Most major US ports are having major issues.

aliceismad

A lot of it may be supply issues too. There’s a shortage of containers and truck drivers to deliver the containers. Most major US ports are having major issues.
I've also seen articles about the cost of clothes increasing due to demand because there have been shutdowns of factories overseas. Supply is low.

PolynesianPrincess

Hello! I am currently in Disney World and realised there is no merch like before. AK has 0 dinosaur merch, MK has 0 Winnie the Pooh merch or barely.. They are no plushies, no "critters" merch in Frontierland, no animal stuff in AK, maybe 10 lame choices of magic band..Poor choice of POTC merch, Tower of Terror has no merch either, no yeti merch at Everest.... etc etc etc. It's the same boring stuff allover the resort. What's going on???
Looking at everyone in the parks, I swear, I don't see shopping bags on strollers or in people's hands. In the buses either. People are not buying the current merch.

Well with COVID, lots of places, Disney included is having a hard time getting things. Also, they have definitely started moving to more generic merchandise, which you see in every single gift shop. It's a shame really. I love buying stuff but the last few trips my spending on souvenirs has decreased dramtically!

CntrlFlPete

My advice, just avoid buying the Mickey Hand Soap! It works well, but the family enjoys it too much, I think we went through the whole bottle in one night.

hs.jpg

dreamfinder

They have had a consolidation trend for a while, but that scale has to be supply chain related. Saw an article the other day that a container from Asia used to cost $2,000-3,000, now costs $20,000-30,000 to ship. And that was if your container wasn't bumped by someone willing to pay more. Until that shakes out, or supply chains shift to more domestic production, they will have to sell what they have on hand. They get a container of Mickey plush? They put out a container of Mickey plush. Things like that get ordered in much bigger volume to begin with, so ordered 10 containers of plush means odds are at least one gets delivered, but only one container of ToT merch, means there is a good chance it gets delayed.

Diamond Dot

I tried to buy some merch from the US Disney Store (D23 merch as I'm a member) and I got a message telling me they were not shipping to the UK or EU because of 'taxes', odd because I just got my D23 50th Anniversary package through. But, neither the EU countries or UK are on the shipping destination lists at checkout, but, Switzerland and some other European countries are. I have no idea what is going on.

jpinkc

Yes we were told this past week that right now ordering is the best option as there was very little merch anywhere on property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom