News Space 220 Restaurant dining experience at Epcot's Future World

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you’re gonna try to make it fair from a price standpoint you can’t get the two “cheapest” items on the menu. I think that’s pretty obvious. Hazy IPA is a great beer so not sure what you consider good beer.

This won’t be somewhere I go to often. But a birthday or special occasion? Definitely.

Three of us went to Le Cellier in June. 3 filets and a bottle of wine was $240, and the interior is fine but nothing overly unique. It was a special occasion and we loved the meal. This isn’t supposed to be an every day lunch spot and shouldn’t be treated like one. I’m typically pretty critical of Disney prices but this one doesn’t bother me.
It’s interesting that the comparison you make is the most overpriced restaurant on property not to feature fuzzy heads…
…just ironic.

disneygeek90

It’s interesting that the comparison you make is the most overpriced restaurant on property not to feature fuzzy heads…
…just ironic.
I was just trying to compare prices and quality. Character and buffet meals are a complete joke to me, but I’m not the target audience.

La Hacienda is on average $35/person per entree, no appetizers. Maybe they’ll drop the required selections in the future but for a new restaurant with a probably high demand, I think it’s fair they don’t want a table of 4 splitting two entrees and having four waters just so they can experience the spot.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was just trying to compare prices and quality. Character and buffet meals are a complete joke to me, but I’m not the target audience.

La Hacienda is on average $35/person per entree, no appetizers. Maybe they’ll drop the required selections in the future but for a new restaurant with a probably high demand, I think it’s fair they don’t want a table of 4 splitting two entrees and having four waters just so they can experience the spot.
My problem is that prix fixe is meant to do the opposite of what this is doing. This is locking people into minimum bills….the intent should be coupling the meal for a complete approach.

UNCgolf

My hope is that demand eventually lessens after it's been open for a while (as I mentioned above) and they drop the prix fixe so I can check it out. Unless I see video that makes the experience alone worth paying extra for stuff I may not eat/probably wasting food, but it doesn't seem at that level to me thus far.

Or I can potentially have a snack in the lounge, I suppose.

donsullivan

Premium Member
My hope is that demand eventually lessens after it's been open for a while (as I mentioned above) and they drop the prix fixe so I can check it out. Unless I see video that makes the experience alone worth paying extra for stuff I may not eat/probably wasting food, but it doesn't seem at that level to me thus far.

Or I can potentially have a snack in the lounge, I suppose.
I'll be surprised (and disappointed) to see the prix fixe go away any time soon. This is another of those locations that people want to experience without regard for the menu. Keeping it with this model allows them to keep a good solid menu and not have guests taking up a table for desert and a drink which is one of the things that messed up Be Our Guest.

It also prevents the guests who come in and then complain there is nothing they like causing the menu to get homogenized down to the boring mess we get so many other places. If you don't like the menu (which is your choice), there are lots of other restaurants to choose from in Epcot. Don't choose a restaurant for the atmosphere and then complain about the menu selections.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'll be surprised (and disappointed) to see the prix fixe go away any time soon. This is another of those locations that people want to experience without regard for the menu. Keeping it with this model allows them to keep a good solid menu and not have guests taking up a table for desert and a drink which is one of the things that messed up Be Our Guest.

It also prevents the guests who come in and then complain there is nothing they like causing the menu to get homogenized down to the boring mess we get so many other places. If you don't like the menu (which is your choice), there are lots of other restaurants to choose from in Epcot. Don't choose a restaurant for the atmosphere and then complain about the menu selections.
Also, there's a bar. Just go for drinks and an app if you just want to check it out.

markham

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but the design callback to the architecture of the central spine buildings with the supports between the windows at Space 220 is a nice touch. Subtle and clever. I’m noticing it now with the repainting of the buildings. Assuming it actually looks like this ha.
85A12CBA-5836-4FE7-9794-6984A62424E9.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Wow

UNCgolf

I don't think you have to worry about the latter. It's a pretty standard menu; there's not really anything flashy or out of the ordinary on it. It'd be hard to make it much less adventurous (and no, I'm not suggesting it's a bad menu). When I mentioned paying for things I may not eat, it had nothing to do with the menu selection and everything to do with requiring an appetizer (and dessert at dinner). I usually don't want both an appetizer and an entree at lunch, and I generally don't want dessert.

The menu is actually another potential issue with prix fixe at a restaurant like this -- restaurants often don't want to get too out there and drive away potential customers. You can do that at high end restaurants run by chefs who change the menu regularly, but tough to pull off at a more casual establishment like this if you're trying to keep the place busy (and get people there with the DDP). In this case, though, there's a lounge, so people can go see it without being forced to eat prix fixe if they just want to see the interior. That makes it less of a concern here than at other places.

Last edited:

Epcot82Guy

Gotta say I'm really underwhelmed by the menu. It feels like very standard convention hotel fare, and the pictures support that. Obviously the price is going to the space, not the food. But I'm not entirely sure who the audience is here based on that menu. Reception of this will be interesting.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Half the people complaining the menu is standard and underwhelming and half the people complaining the menu is too out there, so I’d say the menu is probably just right.
I’m kind of hoping the menu is evolving and changing somewhat regularly vs being static for many years.

TikibirdLand

Don't choose a restaurant for the atmosphere and then complain about the menu selections.
That's really the issue, isn't it? How does these two ideas connect? I'm happy that there are many on here with adventurous palates; my family doesn't fit that category. Do we want to check out this experience. ABSOLUTELY. There's some excellent food choices that won't insult your food tastes that others can enjoy too. There are salad, steak, chicken and seafood choices that are more main street that are as worthy of the $55/$79 price point as the offerings here.

Muffinpants

I actually think the apps look good, and I don’t even know what category of imbecile I’m being placed in by the collection of people here who haven’t eaten any of it. Am I too fancy or too low-brow?
I won't eat any of the apps. Would love just a simple wing offering. My husband and son will just get my app so not a huge issue.

Muffinpants

Picky eaters take on the "lift offs" my opinion only. (Don't come at me)

[BIG BANG BURRATA
Burrata di Mozzarella, Grilled Artichoke Hearts, Arugula, Sunflower Seed Romesco]

Cheese ball w/Artichoke hearts and arugula not something I would eat. A charcuterie board would have fit the bill better for me.

[STARRY CALAMARI
Fried Calamari, Italian Cherry Peppers, Spicy Marinara, Roasted Pepper Citrus Aioli]

Seafood is not something I think of when I think space friendly food. But the whole menu is full of it. Fried ravioli would have been a better all around option for me.

[BLUE MOON CAULIFLOWER
Tempura Fried Cauliflower, Housemade Hot Sauce, Blue Cheese Dust]

Healthier friend onion blossom? If this was a friend space onion with space dust it would be the same product but more accessible.

NEPTUNA TARTARE*
Yellowfin Tuna, Yuzu Ginger Miso, Soy, Avocado, Raddish, Apple, Sesame Crackers]

More seafood. Not a big fan of raw fish. Wing platter would have been nice here for an overall crowd pleaser.

[CENTAURI CAESAR SALAD
Miniature Romaine, Classic Caesar Dressing, Parmigiano Reggiano]

This would be my go to option on this list.

[SPACE GREENS
Bibb Lettuce, Dried Cranberries, Roasted Pears, Spiced Pecans, Apple Cider Dressing]

Salad number 2, so far this is the 3rd option with leafy greens. Children above 9 are meant to eat here and have the adult menu.

[GALAXY GRAIN SALAD
Quinoa, Beluga Lentils, Roasted Red and Golden Beets, Oranges, King Oyster Mushroom, Cashew Hummus]

3rd salad grain salad but still a salad.

Final thoughts.
These apps are not accessable to family's with children in the 9-16 range that are still developing there tastes. My son will eat it all and he's 12 but I feel like he's an outlier. I really wanna like this menu but as a person who dosnt like fish and only simpler tastes I have about 1 option. I feel 1 more simple app would have made it feel Abit more forgiving.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

My kids are 8 and eat salad, calamari, and would likely eat the fried cauliflower (fried anything dipped in sauce is good). But I know they aren’t every child. You need to be a bit adventurous to eat these apps. At least they aren’t identical to everywhere else. I despise the homogenization of the Disney signature restaurant. They all seem to have the same menus with the same 5 proteins. Boring!

And to be clear, a lot of vegetables make sense in space. You can grow vegetables in space. Not many cows up there, however.

I find it more strange that the kids’ menu lacks apps. Kids get to watch their parents eat? I guess they are supposed to be looking at their free trading cards.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Sorry, it's all neato-keeno and such, but at these prices, I don't want to eat lunch* or dinner with a bunch of smelly tourists who have been baking in the sun all day, reapplying sunscreen every couple of hours, dripping their bodily fluids from every crevice and pore and generally looking pretty crispy themselves.

* maybe lunch during the cooler months, but definitely not dinner...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom