Jessica Rabbit removed from Trunk- Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin

TP2000

Now that Disney is changing rides and making announcements after the fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Lincoln and the Tiki Room were both gone or significantly changed before the end of next year.

Heck, they could be re recording the Tiki Room right now for all we know.

This really is my genuine fear. That they seem to do this stuff quickly and quietly, and then announce it after the work has already begun or things have been removed.

I'm thinking the following attractions are in deep trouble and on the HR committee's radar, in no particular order;

Enchanted Tiki Room
Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln
Tom Sawyer Island
It's A Small World
Mark Twain Riverboat
Sailing Ship Columbia
Dumbo The Flying Elephant
Peter Pan's Flight
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Alice In Wonderland
Sleeping Beauty Castle Diorama

Sharon&Susan

af04bce47b56add36920306076913a6f.jpg
Looks like Popeye's dream girl friend.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

This really is my genuine fear. That they seem to do this stuff quickly and quietly, and then announce it after the work has already begun or things have been removed.

I'm thinking the following attractions are in deep trouble and on the HR committee's radar, in no particular order;

Enchanted Tiki Room
Tom Sawyer Island
It's A Small World
Mark Twain Riverboat
Sailing Ship Columbia
Peter Pan's Flight
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Alice In Wonderland
While it’s certainly possible we will see modifications to these by the end of the decade if there’s one thing I’ve noticed it’s that most of the “major” rethemes and layovers have been Eisner-era attractions. Whereas older attractions like JC and POTC have seen more minor modifications.

In part because I imagine there’s perceived to be “less emotional attachment” and also because it’s part of the Iger v. Eisner “tinkling” match.

Think of GMR and Hollywood Studios, Splash, Screamin’, large swaths of DCA, Tower of Terror (DCA), and now Toontown/RRCTS.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Enchanted Tiki Room
Tom Sawyer Island
It's A Small World
Mark Twain Riverboat
Sailing Ship Columbia
Peter Pan's Flight
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Alice In Wonderland

We have to wonder what the long term impact of the last 5 years, and the next 5 years will be. Galaxy's Edge was when I was like 'huh, Disney doesn't really get how to properly execute Disneyland these days, do they?'

But to change so many classic and iconic attractions that have defined the park since the 50s and 60s, Disney runs the risk of crumbling whatever it is about Disneyland that allows it to connect with it's guests in a way no other venue in the world seems to be able too.

The Jungle Cruise eliminated carefully staged Marc Davis scenes and replaced them with crowded and sloppy chimp gags that rely on different iterations of the same joke- repeating a gag already present at the beginning.

Zip a Dee Doo Dah was second only to When You Wish Upon a Star in terms of enduring popularity for Disneyland music. It's been played by the Disneyland band for decades, and to many is quintessential Disney. But because the lyric sounds kinda sorta similar to an old Civil War era song no one has heard, the whole song must go. Splash Mountain uses Marc Davis character designs, music approved by Walt Disney, and was brought to life by some of the best creatives Imagineering has ever had- but now it's offensive and a blight on the park. Not sure what that says about fans of the ride, either- or the fact that it's so bad it must go but not bad enough to just close straightaway.

Pirates is good and remains popular despite the changes made since '97, not because of.

Now we can't be referred to as Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls but are instead 'friends' or 'dreamers' or whatever the new term is, which is far less formal then the announcement the park had been using since the debut of Fantasy in the Sky decades ago.

lazyboy97o

EDIT: And I don't get the impression that Spielberg wants to work with Disney right now with how he's not working on IJ5.
West Side Story is being distributed by Disney through 20th Century.
I watched it a few months ago and was surprised at how 'adult' the film was. It was definitely made more for adults who grew up watching the classic animation depicted in the film.
Who Framed Roger Rabbit, like The Nightmare Before Christmas, was originally a Touchstone release.

TP2000

Zip a Dee Doo Dah was second only to When You Wish Upon a Star in terms of enduring popularity for Disneyland music. It's been played by the Disneyland band for decades, and to many is quintessential Disney. But because the lyric sounds kinda sorta similar to an old Civil War era song no one has heard, the whole song must go.

Is that why Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah got erased from park playlists? I hadn't heard that as a reason. To be honest, the only thing I think of when I hear Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah besides Splash Mountain's finale' scene is this favorite old commercial from the 1980's. This was everywhere on TV back then!

What's still hysterical is that the source material for this song continues to operate daily on both coasts, cycling a few thousand people an hour in floating logs past all those hateful singing chickens. Does the HR Committee even know the log ride is open still? Or where in the park they would find it?

SuddenStorm

Is that why Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah got erased from park playlists? I hadn't heard that as a reason. To be honest, the only thing I think of when I hear Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah besides Splash Mountain's finale' scene is this favorite old commercial from the 1980's. This was everywhere on TV back then!

What's still hysterical is that the source material for this song continues to operate daily on both coasts, cycling a few thousand people an hour in floating logs past all those hateful singing chickens. Does the HR Committee even know the log ride is open still? Or where in the park they would find it?

A few years ago a popular podcast did a series on Song of the South, and asserted that Zip a Dee Doo Dah was inspired by an old minstrel song 'Old Zip C**n'. In the song, there's a lyric 'oh zip a dee dun day' or something. This idea has gained popularity this past year.

The minstrel song is performed to Turkey in the Straw which is interestingly still used in the park.

I think it's a stretch, but so is removing Splash Mountain for being offensive so what do I know.

TP2000

A few years ago a popular podcast did a series on Song of the South, and asserted that Zip a Dee Doo Dah was inspired by an old minstrel song 'Old Zip C**n'. In the song, there's a lyric 'oh zip a dee dun day' or something. This idea has gained popularity this past year.

The minstrel song is performed to Turkey in the Straw which is interestingly still used in the park.

I think it's a stretch, but so is removing Splash Mountain for being offensive so what do I know.

That's the problem with this stuff. You have to sit and listen to long historical explanations and academic presentations before you can get offended.

If you have to create an academic syllabus on why someone should be offended by something they didn't know was offensive, then is it really offensive? My gut tells me it isn't.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and a singing robot chicken is just a singing robot chicken.

americasings_showboat2009ah.jpg

Sharon&Susan

There's a 5th Indiana Jones coming out??? That's gonna fuel the 25 year old rumors of an Indy Land at DHS, I'm sure. :cool:
Indy Land at DAK to replace Dinoland, I believe is the current rumor on the WDW side of the board.

It'd make sense since they already have something pretty close to IJA (Dinosaur) and Dino-Rama is weak, still I don't think it's a great idea in the long term. I'd like to see more Dinosaurs that wooden coaster rumored years ago sounded cool.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

What's scary about this is that it's never announced. It just happens overnight randomly, and you go to Disneyland in the morning and things have been erased and are missing. Never an explanation, never any warning.

Is removing Jessica from the Roger Rabbit ride a huge deal? No. But it's ominous.

What honestly really scares me is stuff like the Tiki Room, things many of us have more emotional attachment to. Will they announce it when they close the Tiki Room to turn it into a dumbed-down and charmless celebration of Aviary Inclusion?

Or do we just show up one random Tuesday this November and find the Tiki Room behind construction walls for three months while they gut the place and turn Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room, Presented by Dole into National Geographic's Inclusive Winged Celebration, Presented by Beyond Meat Patties.

With only the exception of the Splash Mountain announcement, obviously made in a panic years before the ride was ready to be re-Imagineered, all of these erasures and removals happen in the dead of night without warning. That tells you something. And it makes me worry for true icons like the Tiki Room, Mr. Lincoln, It's A Small World, etc.
Well said

WEDfan9798

Yes the person who did the podcast is the wife of Rian Johnson, director of Star Wars The Last Jedi.

Her degree is from a "pay to win" institution, not a state school.

Enchanted Tiki Room
Tom Sawyer Island
It's A Small World
Mark Twain Riverboat
Sailing Ship Columbia
Peter Pan's Flight
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Alice In Wonderland
I am also afraid of Haunted Mansion and Country Bear Jamboree being in danger as well. The only attraction that should have anything done would be Peter Pan and that would be the only change from this list I would support and it would be to fix that one scene. Nothing else.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

It's not just change. I'm not opposed to change per se.

It's erasure. Removal. Cancellation. Replacing an animatronic with non-sensical barrels.

Jessica Rabbitt was placed in that trunk for impactful storytelling purposes by professional Imagineers. She was removed from the trunk by a committee of hacks from HR who couldn't tell a story if their lives depended on it.

The stories that Disneyland tells do not get better when you remove and erase key elements from them. The stories get weaker, become irrelevant, and the park suffers for that.
"A hen for a ten" in the new auction scene on Pirates is a perfect example of what you are talking about

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

From my experience in corporate America the irony of these HR committees is that they usually are created with the best of intentions. Typically with the broad goal to try to create a more diverse workforce with representation from underrepresented associates and diversifying the ranks of company leadership.

However when senior executives are reluctant to “give up” their own salaries/positions in the interest of promoting real representation and inclusion, most of these HR D&I committees then become “busy work factories” that have to focus on a litany of special projects that necessitate the continuance of their existence. I’ve seen this firsthand, unfortunately.
Some of the worst moments in human history were done 'with the best intentions"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom