News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I'm sure this has been posted but can someone point me to some kind of visualization of how traffic will flow once this thing opens? There's not a whole lot of room between Space Mountain and the Speedway and I'm just picturing a gigantic bottleneck.

James Alucobond

I'm sure this has been posted but can someone point me to some kind of visualization of how traffic will flow once this thing opens? There's not a whole lot of room between Space Mountain and the Speedway and I'm just picturing a gigantic bottleneck.
I don't think anyone knows much beyond what the renderings show, which suggest the paths from Storybook Circus and Tomorrowland Light and Power Co. are the only access points.

Personally wouldn't mind if Light and Power eventually goes kaput whenever they refurb Space Mountain in order to expand the access corridor.

TrainsOfDisney

I’m guessing the pathways will be one way.

While I’m all for expansion, and the MK needs it. This is a poor way of doing it imho. take away a nice peaceful walkway and replace it with another over crowded area.

Johnny D

If they get rid of the banked slope on the side of the turn on the speedway, then there would be plenty of room.

BaymaxFan

Beyond Space Mountain the pathways appear to be dramatically wider than the former quiet path that used to be there. As for the section next to the gift shop, it looks like maybe the wider pathways beyond will help with crowds? I don't really know.

Then again, this art isn't 100% accurate as you can see by the way the Speedway looks.
Screenshot_20210907-180609_Google.jpg

ToTBellHop

Beyond Space Mountain the pathways appear to be dramatically wider than the former quiet path that used to be there. As for the section next to the gift shop, it looks like maybe the wider pathways beyond will help with crowds? I don't really know.

Then again, this art isn't 100% accurate as you can see by the way the Speedway looks.
View attachment 585493
It is baffling that they didn’t just remove that useless gift shop and build a combined retail shop for Space and TRON closer to Power Run.

JoeCamel

For the first nine months the only way to approach the ride is two by two due to the length of the line. Might run out to NFL

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It is baffling that they didn’t just remove that useless gift shop and build a combined retail shop for Space and TRON closer to Power Run.
That's what I always assumed they were doing, once we learned that the Speedway would remain unmolested.

As it is, it feels like Tron is completely pinched off from the rest of Tomorrowland. You can sort of tell that it's there, but not what it is or how to get to it.

UNCgolf

As it is, it feels like Tron is completely pinched off from the rest of Tomorrowland. You can sort of tell that it's there, but not what it is or how to get to it.

This is why I don't think the outdoor swoop/canopy part of the ride is going to work nearly as well as it does in Shanghai.

It shouldn't affect the experience of the ride itself, but it's not going to add a bunch of kinetic energy to Tomorrowland. It's back in a corner and won't be visible (or will be just barely visible) from many parts of the land.

ToTBellHop

This is why I don't think the outdoor swoop/canopy part of the ride is going to work nearly as well as it does in Shanghai.

It shouldn't affect the experience of the ride itself, but it's not going to add a bunch of kinetic energy to Tomorrowland. It's back in a corner and won't be visible (or will be just barely visible) from many parts of the land.
Yeah, it is a pity that it won’t add kinetics unless you are literally headed to TRON for a ride. You don’t have to ride Astro Orbitor to benefit from its aesthetics at night.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

Yeah, it is a pity that it won’t add kinetics unless you are literally headed to TRON for a ride. You don’t have to ride Astro Orbitor to benefit from its aesthetics at night.
Oh you fellas like kinetics in Tomorrowland? Wait until I tell you about the planets around Astro Orbiter. Or the concrete block of depression that is Disneyland's PeopleMover.

Last edited:

DonaldDoleWhip

I honestly don't think WDW Tomorrowland needs the additional kinetics of a more integrated Tron. The PeopleMover is constantly weaving through the land, the centerpiece is a spinner, and the Speedway vehicles are always on the move. Even with shuttered and aging attractions, it's one of the most visually active lands there is.
Also, you won’t have to actively ride Tron to admire the coaster soaring overhead or the glowing canopy lights. I spent a few moments there simply because it was cool taking it in.

UNCgolf

I honestly don't think WDW Tomorrowland needs the additional kinetics of a more integrated Tron. The PeopleMover is constantly weaving through the land, the centerpiece is a spinner, and the Speedway vehicles are always on the move. Even with shuttered and aging attractions, it's one of the most visually active lands there is.

I don't think it needs it either -- that wasn't really my point. It was more a comment on the fact that the ride was designed with that as a specific consideration for Shanghai and it doesn't do that for WDW. It's another reason the exact clone doesn't make a lot of sense.

UNCgolf

Also, you won’t have to actively ride Tron to admire the coaster soaring overhead or the glowing canopy lights. I spent a few moments there simply because it was cool taking it in.

That's what I'm saying, though. You won't get that at WDW because it's in a corner. That's not going to be visible from most of Tomorrowland.

DonaldDoleWhip

That's what I'm saying, though. You won't get that at WDW because it's in a corner. That's not going to be visible from most of Tomorrowland.
Not what I’m referencing in this case - completely agreed that you won’t get the same extended approach, but you can absolutely hang out and admire the canopy action without getting in the queue to ride:

1631064477021.jpeg

UNCgolf

Not what I’m referencing in this case - completely agreed that you won’t get the same extended approach, but you can absolutely hang out and admire the canopy action without getting in the queue to ride:

View attachment 585513

Oh sure. I just don't know how much that will happen because of the location -- it won't draw your attention the way it does at Shanghai. I think the vast majority of people who are over there will be people who are planning to ride.

They should have redesigned it to work better in WDW's Tomorrowland, although I suppose that would defeat the point of making a cloned attraction to begin with.

DonaldDoleWhip

Oh sure. I just don't know how much that will happen because of the location -- it won't draw your attention the way it does at Shanghai. I think the vast majority of people who are over there will be people who are planning to ride.

They should have redesigned it to work better in WDW's Tomorrowland, although I suppose that would defeat the point of making a cloned attraction to begin with.
While a Shanghai-like approach would have been ideal, it’s the picture above that reminds me how cool it was simply being there while the colors changed. Fingers crossed the whole area isn’t blocked off unless you’re in the VQ.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom