News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I am also concerned about them not doing Tiana justice. They let Brer Rabbit AND Splash Mountain rot. What's to say the tiana attraction won't? They trivialized a figure that has religious significance to multiple groups of people, what makes anyone think that they aren't going to do a cheap and shoddy job with Tiana? That's another concern I have, is that kids are going to look to this attraction for representation and seeing themselves in this world, and it's going to be dilapidated in 6 months of operation. 😭
I think that's pretty much unavoidable with a water attraction like Splash. Humidity wrecks havoc on it, regardless of the theme. Sure they do refurbs, but it'll still crumble after a while.

Dizmentia

...You underestimate Disney's ability to indefinitely delay.

Also I didn't say it wouldn't go through, just that they left the WDW one alone. Seems the most likely scenario. It saves them tens of millions, and nobody can say they didn't do it.

Lastly, just because a few websites write articles about it doesn't mean Disney cares about negative press. Have you heard of Genie+?... There are limits to what any company can do to appease the mob.
The Florida version of Princess and the Frog Splash Mountain is currently full steam ahead in the works. They are not waiting on California's to open to decide if they want to do it in Florida too.

I can remember seeing "Tiana's Showboat Jubilee" in Frontierland in 2009----funny how that show sort of predicted the future.

Kirby86

I have concerns with your views on what boys may like.

Perhaps boys are being taught by adults that they shouldn’t like a princess movie?

All I know is I loved them when I was a little boy.
28 year old guy here I personally loved a lot of the princess movies as well. My sister and I watch them a lot growing up. She also typically liked a lot of the "boy franchises". She called me up one day and said wouldn't it be cool to see Atlantis get a second chance one day.

Dear Prudence

28 year old guy here I personally loved a lot of the princess movies as well. My sister and I watch them a lot growing up. She also typically liked a lot of the "boy franchises". She called me up one day and said wouldn't it be cool to see Atlantis get a second chance one day.
Atlantis had some of the best representation in any Disney media of all time. Dr. Strongbear Sweet is iconic. Now THAT is some phenomenal representation everyone should be hyping up. 💜💚

Kirby86

I am also concerned about them not doing Tiana justice. They let Brer Rabbit AND Splash Mountain rot. What's to say the tiana attraction won't? They trivialized a figure that has religious significance to multiple groups of people, what makes anyone think that they aren't going to do a cheap and shoddy job with Tiana? That's another concern I have, is that kids are going to look to this attraction for representation and seeing themselves in this world, and it's going to be dilapidated in 6 months of operation. 😭
That's an issue with water rides and log flumes in general. Adding water to any ride system will make it harder to maintain and speed up the wear and tear. Jurrassic Park in Universal Studios has similar problems. Disney Parks have two major problems with maintaining a ride like this.
1. Unlike Parks up north Disney isn't seasonal they don't have a true off-season to do refurbishments on their rides so a log flume up north will have six months compared to splashes two or three.
2. At least in Florida it's humid year round so even during the refurbishment period you still have humidity makeing a mess of the show buildings.

Dan Deesnee

The Florida version of Princess and the Frog Splash Mountain is currently full steam ahead in the works. They are not waiting on California's to open to decide if they want to do it in Florida too.

I can remember seeing "Tiana's Showboat Jubilee" in Frontierland in 2009----funny how that show sort of predicted the future.

Are you an insider? If not, then believe what you want. I've been following Disney for a long time. Right now they are looking at cutting whatever costs possible. WDW Splash is still extremely popular. Replacing it with a Tiana version for 50 million dollars AND having to close one of your headlining attractions for possibly years doesn't gain them much.

Sure they will advertise it, but as soon as people that don't follow Disney much look into it and realize that all they did was replace Splash mountain with a tie into a movie that wasn't extremely popular (and still isn't) I don't think that's going to move the needle for them financially.

I honestly think doing it in WDW hurts them in several ways both immediately and in the long run more than it will help.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member

Source?

matt9112

The average guest doesn’t care in the first place, and the guest who cares enough to go to Tokyo instead for a single attraction is probably one in multiple millions.

Valid however its well known how much of a better product tokyo is. This is just another potential reality. Im just glad the OLC gets to make there own local decisions and not have things forced upon them by TWDC.

Dan Deesnee

I think people are just trying to convince themselves Tiana's Bayou Blast isn't coming to FL yet it clearly will.

The new figures in the ride may not have as much wear and tear because they won't be furries. Animatronics have come a long way since Splash opened.

I am also eagerly anticipating the Mary Poppins attraction, Woody's Roundup BBQ Restaurant, the Spaceship Earth reimagining, etc.

Anything announced pre pandemic that isn't actively being BUILT is fair game to be reduced in scope / cancelled.

I think there's a decent chance only DL gets the Tiana ride. Guess we'll see.

Kirby86

i wonder if the DL version is gonna get a complete ride system upgrade to the side by side seating in FL?
The 2nd concept art picture showed the single file log. If they are planning on keeping those logs as the ride vehicle I don't see them changing the ride system. It could be a Matterhorn situation where building codes come into play. The current structure being grandfathered in and they can make changes to the theme and for general maintenance and repairs but you can't do anything major to the structure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom