Disney World can Kiss my grits...

SteveAZee

So these type of post always leave me kinda of baffled. Is Disney really that much a part of your existence that folks throw hissy fits because they can no longer afford it? I mean if you can't afford the new audi or mercedes do folks get this upset? One of my favorite things use to be Broadway, it long ago got ridiculous in pricing. serious question. I do wonder how one spot on a map became so important to people's happiness.?? Or are these simply more of just rants due to frustration.

Anyhoo, I fully expect that at some point in the future, the mouseworld will become not worth my money, I'll sell my dvc membership and keep it moving. I fully suspect the company will survive with me. Right now I've got a trip by trip attitude. I've got a vacation for 10 days in two weeks and can't wait. If I get there and don't have a great time, I'll reevaluate. Next year we're going to Greece (God willing and covid let's up)

I don't make fun of them, simply don't understand it. I guess I'm more laid back. Disney is a vacation destination, no more no less. the company has the right to charge whatever it's little heart desires. It is not the only place to have a "magical" vacation,

Box of lies? wow. okay when you purchased the stuff were you not happy and having a good time? are they not associate with memories? lol you do realize that Annette was an actress right? not your bff. I get it, you're mad that you can't afford to go
There's clearly a lot of anger and frustration in the world (certainly in the US) right now. Yes, I think people look at Disney (WDW in particular) as an escape from reality for a little while... the bubble.. and now people are being priced out of it. I almost think it's less about the expense and more about the sense of being powerless to do much about it... which I think is the overarching frustration elsewhere and now it's a part of the Disney experience too. Clearly the expense is a big part too, but the solution is to go less often or for fewer days or spend less... which is why I think it's more of a heartfelt reaction rather than a logical one. I think people are just fed up with feeling like they lack control over things that are important in their lives... whether that control was illusion or real, doesn't matter.

aliceismad

So these type of post always leave me kinda of baffled. Is Disney really that much a part of your existence that folks throw hissy fits because they can no longer afford it? I mean if you can't afford the new audi or mercedes do folks get this upset? One of my favorite things use to be Broadway, it long ago got ridiculous in pricing. serious question. I do wonder how one spot on a map became so important to people's happiness.?? Or are these simply more of just rants due to frustration.

Anyhoo, I fully expect that at some point in the future, the mouseworld will become not worth my money, I'll sell my dvc membership and keep it moving. I fully suspect the company will survive with me. Right now I've got a trip by trip attitude. I've got a vacation for 10 days in two weeks and can't wait. If I get there and don't have a great time, I'll reevaluate. Next year we're going to Greece (God willing and covid let's up)

I don't make fun of them, simply don't understand it. I guess I'm more laid back. Disney is a vacation destination, no more no less. the company has the right to charge whatever it's little heart desires. It is not the only place to have a "magical" vacation,

Box of lies? wow. okay when you purchased the stuff were you not happy and having a good time? are they not associate with memories? lol you do realize that Annette was an actress right? not your bff. I get it, you're mad that you can't afford to go
I think a lot of people think Disney should be a Chevy/Ford (or I guess now Toyota since that's what sells the most in America) level vacation rather than the Audi/Mercedes that it's become. Given the current political climate and the growing chasm between economic classes, there's a lot of anger out there.

Also, it's ok for people to mourn something that they used to love and no longer love or see value in.

eliza61nyc

Well let's put it this way. I last went in July 2019 and I'm going in a few days and this will be the longest time away from a Disney park since I started going in 1988.
Its kinda in my DNA as I did go in the womb in 1985.
I have 4 Disney tattoos and looking to get more. So Disney is not just in my mind and heart but on my body.
I also haven't gone anywhere else since my last trip. Of course much of that has to do with Covid but I could have gone places and have chosen to not spend my money.
I've been to Europe twice and Hawaii once. Disney World tops those.
I can't say that I'd never have a good vacation but its unlikely I'd have a GREAT vacation anywhere else.
But you also have to consider I'm not the person complaining.
Thanks Queen,
lol I'm behind you two on the Disney tattoos. probably won't get anymore as my children say I'm too old. lol We purchased our dvc with the thought that we would be taking disney vacations for ever. ol

But here's my little story, a few years ago I asked my kids what their favorite memory of their dad was (unfortunately my husband lost his battle to cancer) and guess what Disney vacations didn't even pop up. !! we dumped all this money on Disney vacations and that's not what you remember. :p after that I realized Disney is a place, a vacation place. good times are pretty much wherever we are together.

eliza61nyc

There's clearly a lot of anger and frustration in the world (certainly in the US) right now. Yes, I think people look at Disney (WDW in particular) as an escape from reality for a little while... the bubble.. and now people are being priced out of it. I almost think it's less about the expense and more about the sense of being powerless to do much about it... which I think is the overarching frustration elsewhere and now it's a part of the Disney experience too. Clearly the expense is a big part too, but the solution is to go less often or for fewer days or spend less... which is why I think it's more of a heartfelt reaction rather than a logical one. I think people are just fed up with feeling like they lack control over things that are important in their lives... whether that control was illusion or real, doesn't matter.
Thanks Steve,
That makes a lot of sense. My niece is starting a GoFundMe page for her college tuition. When you got a kid trying to get up 20k for college, Disney vacation falls to the bottom.

Last edited:

aliceismad

But here's my little story, a few years ago I asked my kids what their favorite memory of their dad was (unfortunately my husband lost his battle to cancer) and guess what Disney vacations didn't even pop up. ***!! we dumped all this money on Disney vacations and that's not what you remember. :p after that I realized Disney is a place, a vacation place. good times are pretty much wherever we are together.
I completely agree with you. Disney is one of my favorite vacation places because for me it's a great escape from reality, but it's certainly not the only one. Even my 7-year-old won't always pick Disney when we ask where she'd like to vacation.

I'm glad you and your kids have great memories of their dad, at Disney and otherwise.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Thanks Queen,
lol I'm behind you two on the Disney tattoos. probably won't get anymore as my children say I'm too old. lol We purchased our dvc with the thought that we would be taking disney vacations for ever. ol

But here's my little story, a few years ago I asked my kids what their favorite memory of their dad was (unfortunately my husband lost his battle to cancer) and guess what Disney vacations didn't even pop up. ***!! we dumped all this money on Disney vacations and that's not what you remember. :p after that I realized Disney is a place, a vacation place. good times are pretty much wherever we are together.

Thankfully my dad is still with us. And while there are plenty of memories that do not involve Disney such as him carrying me on his shoulders at our local amusement park and me riding on the tractor with him at the farm. There are also Disney specific memories like him and my sister riding in the doom buggy behind myself, my mom and my other sister and he would always knock on the back of ours like there was a ghost.
I agree that memories are made anywhere anytime but I do have very specific Disney memories.

JIMINYCR

Yes, thats part of it. The other part is the thought that Disney is different than any other business struggling to stay afloat. They dont understand business, the costs involved or economics, so any price increase is a slap in the face. Anger comes out before reasoning. Even in my business and talking with my customers who are business owners... people are short tempered, angry, unreasonable and even violent as never before. I had a guy threaten me with a weapon and I had to call in the police one day. It doesnt take much to set people off and instead of acting reasonable and calm they resort to anger and threats.
To the OP, you may be upset at Disney and their policy changes and its your choice to walk away and never come back. Thats the consumers choice. Go ahead and dump every Disney thing you have. It may make you feel better but you are the one losing, not Disney or Chapek and the others. But it was a fun rant to read.

Wendy Pleakley

At the end of they day you paid for things and experiences and accepted the prices. Things change for the worse sometimes, but Disney doesn't owe us anything. There is no contract between Disney and guests that they'll meet a certain threshold of value now and forever.

So many people have bought into the Disney marketing machine that sells an ideal, a fantasy.

As much as many of us love Disney, we have to realize that Disney doesn't love us back.

SteveAZee

Yes, thats part of it. The other part is the thought that Disney is different than any other business struggling to stay afloat. They dont understand business, the costs involved or economics, so any price increase is a slap in the face. Anger comes out before reasoning. Even in my business and talking with my customers who are business owners... people are short tempered, angry, unreasonable and even violent as never before. I had a guy threaten me with a weapon and I had to call in the police one day. It doesnt take much to set people off and instead of acting reasonable and calm they resort to anger and threats.
To the OP, you may be upset at Disney and their policy changes and its your choice to walk away and never come back. Thats the consumers choice. Go ahead and dump every Disney thing you have. It may make you feel better but you are the one losing, not Disney or Chapek and the others. But it was a fun rant to read.
Yes, good point. When the pandemic hit and I saw cruises, movie theaters, and the parks shut down I was pretty sure Disney was going to be in a world of hurt for a really long time. Large companies like that are built for stability and this was a huge disruption in cash flow. From a business side, Disney has fared surprisingly well (at least to my estimation). It seemed clear that the whole Genie thing has been in the works for years, and the intent was focus on more money from less people at the parks... cut the crowds (for increased satisfaction per guest) but make greater profit per person by raising prices and/or pay-to-play for attractions.

Still, it hurts if you've made a financial and emotional investment in Disney (as the OP has) only to be tossed aside for those with bigger wallets. Painful. It's tough to reconcile... a company whose product is 'warm and fuzzy' not actually being warm and fuzzy at all.

JIMINYCR

Yes, good point. When the pandemic hit and I saw cruises, movie theaters, and the parks shut down I was pretty sure Disney was going to be in a world of hurt for a really long time. Large companies like that are built for stability and this was a huge disruption in cash flow. From a business side, Disney has fared surprisingly well (at least to my estimation). It seemed clear that the whole Genie thing has been in the works for years, and the intent was focus on more money from less people at the parks... cut the crowds (for increased satisfaction per guest) but make greater profit per person by raising prices and/or pay-to-play for attractions.

Still, it hurts if you've made a financial and emotional investment in Disney (as the OP has) only to be tossed aside for those with bigger wallets. Painful. It's tough to reconcile... a company whose product is 'warm and fuzzy' not actually being warm and fuzzy at all.
Thats the point. The product may be perceived as warm and fuzzy and all that Disney means to them is valid... but that doesnt change the fact that its a business being run with a bottom line that has to be accounted for. They want Disney to keep pace with Uni and keep evolving so they can enjoy it, with all the services in place, but they cant understand that those things they want comes with a price. I'd love it if everything I buy and everything I do costs the same as it did in the 1980s but nothing stays the same. Walt is gone and those days are gone so why cant they understand that? Disney isnt tossing anyone aside. Yes there are people with bigger wallets... thats always been true. Some can afford more than others.. thats always been true. Just because its going to cost more doesnt mean youre being targeted, you just have to realize that if you want it, you have to save for it, just like anything else that has gone up in price.

Goofyernmost

No, you are just more wealthy. You seem to miss that point completely. You, lost me at if things get tough, "I'll sell my dvc". I had to stop and check my records to see if I even owned a DVC much less been able to sell it to make me financially sound again.

It isn't that we wouldn't love to still be able to buy in, it is because we, after spending years living on the edge of the envelope to go to our favorite place in the world are now priced out. Why? Because we might have had some negatives in our lives that prevented us from obtaining wealth. We the people that originally made WDW what it is are now not wanted or needed, so like trash we are just cast aside. Do they know me personally, of course not, but it doesn't matter when you are left out of something you were once totally absorbed in very actively.

Goofyernmost

I think a lot of people think Disney should be a Chevy/Ford (or I guess now Toyota since that's what sells the most in America) level vacation rather than the Audi/Mercedes that it's become. Given the current political climate and the growing chasm between economic classes, there's a lot of anger out there.

Also, it's ok for people to mourn something that they used to love and no longer love or see value in.
It's still a chevy/ford place. Hell they have only scratched the surface on any change in the last decade, but clever as they are they decided to sell it as a Mercedes which it isn't. Even an actual Mercedes is highly overrated, so is the present Disney Park.

SSH

Who among us won't lose things & people we love at some point? (Family, friends, pets, special places, experiences that change or end?) Most totally out of our control. What else can we do but feel thankful for what we enjoyed and learn to let go/move on? The alternative only hurts us individually: unhealthy anger, stress, hurt.

I love my WDW memories from 40+ years of visits. But with only so much time left on earth - maybe less than I think - how can I get angry or worked up over some random CEO's stupid decisions? It's just noise & nonsense in the bigger scheme of life.

I may visit again one day if I feel like it. Or not. But I will also find plenty of fun & magic beyond WDW. (I do feel bad for new guests: they're spending a fortune & won't experience half the value & magic we all did.)

eliza61nyc

No, you are just more wealthy. You seem to miss that point completely. You, lost me at if things get tough, "I'll sell my dvc". I had to stop and check my records to see if I even owned a DVC much less been able to sell it to make me financially sound again.

It isn't that we wouldn't love to still be able to buy in, it is because we, after spending years living on the edge of the envelope to go to our favorite place in the world are now priced out. Why? Because we might have had some negatives in our lives that prevented us from obtaining wealth. We the people that originally made WDW what it is are now not wanted or needed, so like trash we are just cast aside. Do they know me personally, of course not, but it doesn't matter when you are left out of something you were once totally absorbed in very actively.
So you're mad that you're not unlimited wealthy??
We purchased our dvc knowing full well that, at the time meant giving up a lot of other things, that was a choice, it means nothing else.

Are you serious?? There are plenty of things I cannot afford. Why does everyone here feel that they are entitled to afford whatever they want. Lol I would love a beachfront property in Miami, guess what unless miracles occur it ain't happening. I usually have crabs a lot during the summer this summer not a one. The cost of those treats are out of my budget. Does that mean some evil crab executive is too blame? Nope it means I can't afford it. Plain and simple

Now I don't remember this magical time when Disney was cheap and everyone could go, personally I remember my parents complaining about the cost plenty so sorry I think it's selective memory.

There are always going to be folks financially better than me, there are always folks who are going to be financially worse than me. Sorry I will admit, this anger because someone can afford something I can't ESPECIALLY something as trivial as wdw. Health insurance yes?? College tuition check, cost of decent housing? I'll lead the revolution. Going to a fake large playground?? Nah.

Last edited:

SSH

1000%. Many people have seen their wages frozen or at most increased by 1% for YEARS as home, auto, health insurance, food, rent, etc skyrocket. Then they see their only source of comfort - the "WDW bubble" a special restaurant meal, a concert, a ball game - also all spiraling out of control cost wise - corporate greed far beyond any reasonable inflation rates. Add covid, other life stresses - and yeah...many of us are feeling angry, frustrated and unjustifiably targeted these days.

Goofyernmost

So you're mad that you're not unlimited wealthy??

Are you serious?? There are plenty of things I cannot afford. Why does everyone here feel that they are entitled to afford whatever they want. Lol I would love a beachfront property in Miami, guess what unless miracles occur it ain't happening

Now I don't remember this magical time when Disney was cheap and everyone could go, personally I remember my parents complaining about the cost plenty so sorry I think it's selective memory.
No, sense in going on, you just are not getting the emotional part of it for some of us. So you continue to go, spending probably twice as much as you once did, for less entertainment then before and when you go broke sell that DVC and make reservations. What money I have left has got to last me for the rest of my life. And this being the fantastically generous country that it is, I don't think I can rely on the goodness of mankind to support me if I live to long.

I didn't even say who we are angry with, it might even be ourselves for our life's failures. In the past we could scrape together enough money to go to our getaway. Now we can't and that makes us sad, depressed and abandoned. Sorry, that upsets you!

Goofyernmost

Who among us won't lose things & people we love at some point? (Family, friends, pets, special places, experiences that change or end?) Most totally out of our control. What else can we do but feel thankful for what we enjoyed and learn to let go/move on? The alternative only hurts us individually: unhealthy anger, stress, hurt.

I love my WDW memories from 40+ years of visits. But with only so much time left on earth - maybe less than I think - how can I get angry or worked up over some random CEO's stupid decisions? It's just noise & nonsense in the bigger scheme of life.

I may visit again one day if I feel like it. Or not. But I will also find plenty of fun & magic beyond WDW. (I do feel bad for new guests: they're spending a fortune & won't experience half the value & magic we all did.)
I'm glad that you can look at a loss so callously. The very fact that I, personally, do not know how much time I have left is part of the problem. If I knew I was going to die before the year is out, I would have already made reservations at my favorite, always wanted to stay in , resort, The Contemporary! I'm currently 73 years old, young to some, but it is an awkward age. Young enough to be considered that I may live to older age, but the promises are a whole lot more shallow now. It is much more likely that I am going to wake up dead tomorrow, than it was 40 year ago. Possible, yes, but not as likely. If I live beyond 85, right now, my extra money will run out, but hopefully my expenses will also become smaller. I can think that because my healthcare comes via the VA. If not for that I would have been broke now. There are a lot of reasons that I was unable to accumulate massive wealth, none of which are anyone else's business, but suffice it to say that 80% of that was not in my control.

eliza61nyc

No, sense in going on, you just are not getting the emotional part of it for some of us. So you continue to go, spending probably twice as much as you once did, for less entertainment then before and when you go broke sell that DVC and make reservations. What money I have left has got to last me for the rest of my life. And this being the fantastically generous country that it is, I don't think I can rely on the goodness of mankind to support me if I live to long.

I didn't even say who we are angry with, it might even be ourselves for our life's failures. In the past we could scrape together enough money to go to our getaway. Now we can't and that makes us sad, depressed and abandoned. Sorry, that upsets you!
All good. I've never been one to feel that a company owes me any thing based on some time in the long ago past.
My concerns are pretty much the same as the average Joe/ Jane, I too am retired and have to make the best decision I can to make it for the next 40 years. Lol I currently have a 101 yo, 95 yo and 92 year old aunt so longevity seems to run in my female gene.
I laugh though, some times it seems like folks are under the impression that if you can afford a Disney vacation or DVC you are some how rolling with Oprah Winfrey or Warren Buffett and don't have the same struggles. If only!!
I continue to go for one reason and one reason only, I still think it's worth what I am asked to pay and since vacations come out of the "extras" budget, along with eating out, theater and any other fun stuff we do, I take care of essentials first. When that is no longer the case I won't go.

I apologize your right I've never been one to get depressed about not being able to go to Disney and not because of being able to afford it, they have been tons of times we've said " maybe next time " because of finances, more because I try to live by being content. I was content when I was broke and in times of plenty.
What I hope I don't do is become a person that feels Disney "owes" me anything.
Now for me, after losing my husband at 50, my brother at 55 and battling cancer, yeah I do see a disconnect.
Happy trials everyone wherever you land

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom