Disney Genie/Genie+ On Their Way to Anaheim

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

My iPad autocorrected Atmos into Atmosphere.
My point still stands. You are only paying for skipping the standby line. Nothing else. once you get your ride even if a element is not working, you are not entitled to a refund. are you entitled for a refund when you pay for a full day and 5 attractions have effects not working and big thunder is down for repair? no.

CaptinEO

But I also respect how it is now fully transparent the level of private disdain the executives have for their customers and hourly employees, many of which will likely never return to the staffing levels pre-pandemic levels and will be in the uncomfortable position of hanging to explain these confusing new layers of complexity.
This is what is great. The transparency in their greed has truly come full circle. I had 10 people
messaging me about this because they were so upset, many havent been to Disneyland in years either.

They not only don't care about their guests or hourly employees, they don't care about their major actors/actresses as well apparently. The arrogance is so thick in TWDC you can feel it.

I will enjoy watching this from the sidelines and just hope at least the remaining good elements of their parks don't get destroyed.

mickEblu

Is Lightning Lane just Genie + with tier 1 rides or is Lightning Lane more of a front of the line pass and Genie + like the old max pass system?

Stevek

Is Lightning Lane just Genie + with tier 1 rides or is Lightning Lane more of a front of the line pass and Genie + like the old max pass system?
I believe Genie+ is Maxpass. Then there are 2 rides per park that are basically Genie++ where you pay an up charge to enter. Here is the rumored list for WDW magic Kingdom park where 7 dwarfs and Space Mtn would be an up charge

Magic Kingdom​

• “it’s a small world”
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
  • Dumbo the Flying Elephant
  • Enchanted Tales with Belle
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Mad Tea Party
  • Mickey’s PhilharMagic
  • Monsters Inc Laugh Floor
  • Peter Pan’s Flight
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (*LL only)
  • Space Mountain (*LL only)
  • Splash Mountain
  • The Barnstormer
  • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
  • Tomorrowland Speedway
  • Under the Sea – Journey of the Little Mermaid

el_super

I believe Genie+ is Maxpass. Then there are 2 rides per park that are basically Genie++ where you pay an up charge to enter.

Just in case anyone needs it...

Lightning Lane: New name for the Fastpass queue.

Genie: New service provided via the Disneyland App, that creates personalized itineraries and provides popups and notifications when you should ride certain attractions to avoid the longest waits. Genie is free.

Genie+: Add on feature to Disney Genie that allows access to the Lightning Lane at several attractions. User can book the next available time (like the old MaxPass) to gain entry. Genie+ will cost $20 per guest/per day at DLR and include unlimited Photopass downloads (like MaxPass) but will exclude some high demand attractions.

Individual Selection: Allows you to purchase access for up to two, select "HIGH DEMAND" attractions. Price will vary based on day/time and attraction.

The name and wording around the Individual Selection program is ... poor to say the least. My reading of it would be that the guest is able to book 2 rides per day, not that there are only 2 rides per park, although depending on the definition of high demand, it may still be only one or two rides per park that offer the service. Considering the test at Indy earlier this summer, I wonder if an attraction that WOULD be offered through Genie+ were to become booked out for the day, would you have the option to pay to gain access to those attractions too? Admittedly that is just speculation right now.

There are a lot of other unknowns too, as in whether you will be able to book multiple visits to the same attraction using Genie+ or if you will be limited to one ride per attraction/per day.

Tamandua

I believe Genie+ is Maxpass. Then there are 2 rides per park that are basically Genie++ where you pay an up charge to enter. Here is the rumored list for WDW magic Kingdom park where 7 dwarfs and Space Mtn would be an up charge

Magic Kingdom​

• “it’s a small world”
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
  • Dumbo the Flying Elephant
  • Enchanted Tales with Belle
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Mad Tea Party
  • Mickey’s PhilharMagic
  • Monsters Inc Laugh Floor
  • Peter Pan’s Flight
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (*LL only)
  • Space Mountain (*LL only)
  • Splash Mountain
  • The Barnstormer
  • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
  • Tomorrowland Speedway
  • Under the Sea – Journey of the Little Mermaid
Space Mountain? I went on MK's Space Mountain earlier this year. I don't understand what makes it so special that it needs an upcharge. I walked on to the ride with no wait twice. Did they basically just roll the dice to see which rides cost more?

Mickeyboof

Just in case anyone needs it...

Lightning Lane: New name for the Fastpass queue.

Genie: New service provided via the Disneyland App, that creates personalized itineraries and provides popups and notifications when you should ride certain attractions to avoid the longest waits. Genie is free.

Genie+: Add on feature to Disney Genie that allows access to the Lightning Lane at several attractions. User can book the next available time (like the old MaxPass) to gain entry. Genie+ will cost $20 per guest/per day at DLR and include unlimited Photopass downloads (like MaxPass) but will exclude some high demand attractions.

Individual Selection: Allows you to purchase access for up to two, select "HIGH DEMAND" attractions. Price will vary based on day/time and attraction.

The name and wording around the Individual Selection program is ... poor to say the least. My reading of it would be that the guest is able to book 2 rides per day, not that there are only 2 rides per park, although depending on the definition of high demand, it may still be only one or two rides per park that offer the service. Considering the test at Indy earlier this summer, I wonder if an attraction that WOULD be offered through Genie+ were to become booked out for the day, would you have the option to pay to gain access to those attractions too? Admittedly that is just speculation right now.

There are a lot of other unknowns too, as in whether you will be able to book multiple visits to the same attraction using Genie+ or if you will be limited to one ride per attraction/per day.

So we got

Standby
Lightning Lane Individual Access
Lightning Lane Genie+
Boarding Groups
Perhaps Virtual Queues….?

I really feel for the casual guests. Between this ridiculous bizarre cocktail of terminology and Mobile Ordering, a trip to the Disneyland Resort is almost certainly about to become the most frustrating vacation on earth.

el_super

Is Genie like TouringPlans?

I think that's the general idea, but to be fair I'm not entirely sure how Touring Plans work internally.

Presumably, with the amount of data Disney has collected over the decades now, they would be in a far better position to map current crowd patterns, and also manipulate them to the desired effect. Disney could, as an example, take the group of people that want to ride Peter Pan and Space Mountain, and divide them up and suggest they return at staggered times, while also taking into account any attraction capacity issues at both.

In reality it will probably just tell you to visit The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh over and over again.

Mickeyboof

In reality it will probably just tell you to visit The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh over and over again.

Oh you got it exactly, gagging! One would imagine they have incredible data points… however I also don’t think they will employ it in a meaningful way, as this far they never have implemented sooicated tech with success (except magic bands are pretty awesome).

I imagine in four or five years Genie free will be sunsetted. These sort of services are just gimmicky and cold to the touch.

el_super

Oh you got it exactly, gagging! One would imagine they have incredible data points… however I also don’t think they will employ it in a meaningful way

Yeah... they are bad at implementing technology.

I don't really think the Genie concept is bad either... I think it makes a lot of sense to take some of the guess work out of the process to make things easier for people that don't want to hyperplan everything. I just don't really see the need of having it branded and marketed as a separate product (aside from touting to investors).

SoCalDisneyLover

Speculation:

Disneyland: Rise Of The Resistance & Space Mountain

CA Adventure: Radiator Springs Racers & Web Slingers

Would they still do a virtual queue for Rise?

And is Web Slingers going to popular enough, that it would be the ride they choose to monetize?

Only other ride at Disneyland I could see them doing, if they chose not to have Rise in this program, would be Indiana Jones. At DCA, the most likely option aside from Web Slingers, might be Soarin'. Then, when they do a special limited time swap in of the California version, they could get Key holders to pony up extra dough to ride. (Insert Disney Executive Evil Laugh Here).

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Speculation:

And is Web Slingers going to popular enough, that it would be the ride they choose to monetize?

Only other ride at Disneyland I could see them doing, if they chose not to have Rise in this program, would be Indiana Jones. At DCA, the most likely option aside from Web Slingers, might be Soarin'. Then, when they do a special limited time swap in of the California version, they could get Key holders to pony up extra dough to ride. (Insert Disney Executive Evil Laugh Here).
Why not do all 3 attractions in each park?

Since Disneyland has almost an equitable number of attractions as WDW and more APs doing 3 LL up charges vs 2 at the WDW parks makes “more sense” (insert Disney Executive Evil hysterical, falling out of your chair, caviar-shooting-out-of-your-nose, laughter).

milordsloth

Speculation:

From reading Josh D'Amoro's comments on this, he made it sound like there will still be a virtual queue for Rise.

Quote from the D23 article: "Now there’s another option on top of the virtual queue so if Rise of the Resistance is the reason you’re at Disneyland or Disney’s Hollywood Studios, there may be an option for you to purchase Rise of the Resistance."

Tamandua

I was reading some comments about this program on another website unrelated to anything Disney but primarily made up of people with plenty of expendable income. It seems like the response is pretty much universal outrage. I see a lot of people saying they're going to cancel their annual trips to WDW. I haven't really seen anyone say "Nice... Now I can skip the lines for more money."

No Name

It’s interesting that during Darth Chapek’s entire 5 years as head of Parks and Resorts, every competitor was charging additional for skipping lines and Disney wasn’t. Then our handsome beloved Prince D’Amaro comes along and well whadayaknow….

SplashGhost

It’s interesting that during Darth Chapek’s entire 5 years as head of Parks and Resorts, every competitor was charging additional for skipping lines and Disney wasn’t. Then our handsome beloved Prince D’Amaro comes along and well whadayaknow….

Well, Chapek is now CEO so he has even more power, but D'Amaro is just a better actor than Chapek is so it makes it easier for him to trick people into thinking that he cares about the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom