News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

LittleBuford

You guys get on me for saying modern Imagineering is inferior (with some exceptions) while admitting that they can’t build lengthy rides nowadays and excusing it. Don’t expect me to have faith in them ruining my favorite attraction when you yourselves don’t even trust them.
I don’t think anyone is saying that they can’t, rather that they no longer do.

Kirby86

So this was a spur in the moment decision to change the ride because that's what I'm reading
I'm sure there were discussions and pitches for a change to this theme ahead of time. Since the announcement artwork looks way to good to be thrown together quickly. But I don't think they had the go ahead for any real planning until recently.

SailorMercury

I'm sure there were discussions and pitches for a change to this theme ahead of time. Since the announcement artwork looks way to good to be thrown together quickly. But I don't think they had the go ahead for any real planning until recently.
Bob Iger has wanted the thing gone forever. No one else did. Whenever Twitter was championing for it’s removal, Iger used that to get his way.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I just wish he world could see this ride the way my 3 year old does ( and I still do).. a story about a rabbit whose love for adventure gets him in trouble with a bear and fox.
eb26492a6e4cdc6d798eb1ee3e482feb.jpg

MrPromey

I could make the very same argument regarding an Inside Out attraction for example. I personally really enjoyed the film, music, & characters myself and honestly think it’d be fun to see a multimedia show (a theatre show with a mixture of animatronics, spfx, and screens. (Think something along the lines of Cranium Command & Muppet*Vision 3D) but absolutely ‘despise’, no, ‘LOATHE’ the idea of it being a retheme of Journey Into Imagination (the first 2 attempts at a film IP retheme have sucked. So why the heck would they go that direction a third time? Just ludicrous..). The original was a beloved timeless classic that nearly ‘everyone’ enjoyed. So it seems really stupid they wouldn’t try to restore back its former glory instead with enhanced spfx & tech. But yeah.

The original Journey was one of my all time favorite attractions but we are never getting that back.

They will either close this and it will sit empty or just as a gift shop and movie theater or they will retrofit something else, yet again, into the space, maybe continuing to use the partial existing ride system or maybe not.

Kirby86

You guys get on me for saying modern Imagineering is inferior (with some exceptions) while admitting that they can’t build lengthy rides nowadays and excusing it. Don’t expect me to have faith in them ruining my favorite attraction when you yourselves don’t even trust them.
I don't think it's they can't build longer attractions rather they are choosing shorter attraction times. If you optimistic it's because they want to get as many people on as possible. However if you're Cynical it's because the more time you're on rides the less money you're spending. I lean towards the latter.

DisneyDodo

I don't think it's they can't build longer attractions rather they are choosing shorter attraction times. If you optimistic it's because they want to get as many people on as possible. However if you're Cynical it's because the more time you're on rides the less money you're spending. I lean towards the latter.
I think it's neither - longer rides don't mean less capacity and the amount of time people spend on rides is negligible compared to the amount of time they spend in line. The reason IMO is that longer rides cost more to build - more track, more themed elements, bigger show building etc. - but the extra length doesn't really do much to attract more guests. People may wish 7DMT were longer, but I doubt WDW attendance would be noticeably higher if it were twice as long. People will show up for Tron regardless of how long it is, so why spend extra money to make it longer?

ppete1975

honestly the retheme for splash should have been pocahontas.. its a no brainer.. But that wouldnt have helped the PR dept (call it what you will, but the choice of princess was intentional regardless if the switch makes sense). Change the ride vehicles to canoes.. and youre well on your way. BUT how long will pocahontas be PC? And is the movie popular enough to warrant it. This was a knee jerk publicity move that i think will be regretted if for no other reason, money that should have been spent elsewhere for more effect.

btw ive never seen pocahontas... just looking at the ride dynamics and potential fits.

cookiee_munster

honestly the retheme for splash should have been pocahontas.. its a no brainer.. But that wouldnt have helped the PR dept (call it what you will, but the choice of princess was intentional regardless if the switch makes sense). Change the ride vehicles to canoes.. and youre well on your way. BUT how long will pocahontas be PC? And is the movie popular enough to warrant it. This was a knee jerk publicity move that i think will be regretted if for no other reason, money that should have been spent elsewhere for more effect.

btw ive never seen pocahontas... just looking at the ride dynamics and potential fits.
I think re-theming it to Pocahontas would be even more problematic. The "Disney" story of Pocahontas takes it into the same grey area that Song of The South's own controversial elements are criticised for. it would be like going one step forward and two steps back.

What they really should do is just not try to shoe horn an I.P. into it and just bring the classic characters into it like mickey and minnie etc and just add a bit of whimsy here and there. There's no real cohesive story to Splash, other than a smattering of critters and brer bear and brer fox being outfooled by brer rabbit.

seabreezept813

I still think most do.
I’m an English teacher and I find it hard to argue there’s any allegory to it, it’s much more a fable to teach about not putting your foot in your mouth or straying too far from safety. Disney really did a doozy locking the SotS movie away. With context, it could have survived like any other movie you see on TCM as a product of its time that nowadays would and should do better.

RSoxNo1

So you’re excusing modern Disney’s inability to create lengthy attractions? You have to ruin another ride to get a “new” lengthy attraction because you don’t trust Disney enough to make a new one from scratch?
Yes.

I think that if they said they were replacing Splash Mountain with a Princess and the Frog attraction and they were demolishing the mountain, I would have less faith in the project.

LittleBuford

With context, it could have survived like any other movie you see on TCM as a product of its time that nowadays would and should do better.
I very much doubt it, for two reasons:

1. It's a pretty bad movie, except for the animated sequences.

2. It's Disney, and therefore expected to be suitable for children.

These conditions make the film far more difficult to redeem than, say, Gone with the Wind, which is a critically acclaimed movie primarily aimed at adult audiences.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom