Coranavirus Disneyland General Discussion

fctiger

I'm sorry to say, there is Zero chance things are going to be turned around in FL by 2 weeks from now. With 17K New Cases yesterday, and 20K today, it's a certainty that it will be worse.

Given the capacity DW is running at these days, I'd say you would be taking a risk. At least you're vaccinated, but at the moment, FL is probably in the Top 5 states where Covid is completely out of control.

Oh yeah you're completely right. When I said I was hoping things would turn around, I'm talking back in May when we decided to go and booked the trip. That was when the Covid vaccine was now available to everyone 18 and over. We just assumed (very very naively) that the country as a whole would be mostly vaccinated by the end of summer because after all, most people would be jumping to get this after an entire year of dealing with a deadly global pandemic and it would be our chance to get life back to normal again ASAP.

But instead....

We're still most likely going. We know we can't get REALLY sick since we're vaccinated (or at least the chances are very low) but we would still prefer not to get sick at all lol. Things are just so bad down there, but we will be on WDW property (Disney Springs) and AFAIK no big issues there and everyone is at least masked up again. We're even thinking of going to USO for two days (they never been) but might just cut that portion of the trip out and stay a little more contained.

But we did it ONLY with the option of a full refund and we don't have to even pay anything until 8 days before the trip so we still have time to decide.

Last edited:

truecoat

I'm sorry to say, there is Zero chance things are going to be turned around in FL by 2 weeks from now. With 17K New Cases yesterday, and 20K today, it's a certainty that it will be worse.

Given the capacity DW is running at these days, I'd say you would be taking a risk. At least you're vaccinated, but at the moment, FL is probably in the Top 5 states where Covid is completely out of control.

In the last 48 hours, 7 kids have died of Covid in Florida. Children are not invincible as they were in the beginning.

Emmanuel

So I looked up the other California Theme Parks for the Covid Safety guidelines as of now. Since theres some smaller theme parks, I've only included ones that are more familiar to any of us.

Masks Required indoors regardless of Vaccination Status

Disneyland Resort (TWDC Decision. OC has not implemented a mask indoor mandate)

Universal Studios Hollywood (Under LA County Mask mandate)

Six Flags Magic Mountain (Under LA County Mask Mandate)

Gilroy Gardens (Under Santa Clara County Mask Mandate)

Californias Great America (Under Santa Clara County Mask Mandate)

Masks optional for fully vaccinated guests

Knotts Berry Farm
Legoland (Still
required for employees regardless of vaccination status)
Seaworld
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Adventure City
Castle Park

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Something I noticed during my last visit was the different ways CM's went about enforcing the indoor mask policy. Most were polite and asked guests to please put on a mask or raise it- saying something like "don't forget your mask" or "please make sure masks are worn properly".

Others were quite rude- yelling that masks must be worn without a hint of politeness or courtesy, as if they alone will save guests from the plague.

I didn't notice any guests make a scene about having to wear masks.

TP2000

In the last 48 hours, 7 kids have died of Covid in Florida. Children are not invincible as they were in the beginning.

Were the children old enough to be vaccinated? And what were their co-morbidities they were suffering with?

I read of a Miami boy aged 11 who died of Covid. But he had many other serious health problems. It was a very touching story as he had been abandoned as a baby due to being born deformed and very sickly and needing constant hospital care, but he was adopted by a 74 year old man who was a Deacon at his local church. It was such a touching story of how this young boy was able to live his short life surrounded by a loving church community and an adopted father who adored him.

If I had the ability for human emotion, I might have even teared up a little. 🧐

waltography

Something I noticed during my last visit was the different ways CM's went about enforcing the indoor mask policy. Most were polite and asked guests to please put on a mask or raise it- saying something like "don't forget your mask" or "please make sure masks are worn properly".

Others were quite rude- yelling that masks must be worn without a hint of politeness or courtesy, as if they alone will save guests from the plague.

I didn't notice any guests make a scene about having to wear masks.
My last trip on the 31st I was at the load-in at Guardians when a cast member asked a guest with a neck gaiter if he had an approved mask. Guest made a small scene saying he was let through and it was an acceptable mask from the sign out front (which, obviously it wasn't) and CM said she'd check with her lead. When the elevator doors opened again she came out with a regular mask in hand. 😂

Shame that some CM's tempers are short right now, but I'm sure they're also exhausted dealing with noncompliant guests on top of the usual guest BS.

TP2000

America is now getting over 100,000 Covid cases a day again. A country that has more vaccine than any country by far and we're once again one of the sickest in the world. :rolleyes:

States, mostly southern ones, are dealing with hospital bed shortages again with those states the least vaccinated.

I have a trip to WDW already booked in two weeks. We thought things were going to be really turned around in Florida by then and instead it's getting worse than ever. We're thinking of cancelling and we're fully vaccinated.

This country sometimes, I swear.

Your statement here is a bit hard to follow. You are critical of Southern states for being less vaccinated, and yet you are going to travel to a Southern state for the purely decadent purpose of a Disney World vacation? If you feel going to a Southern state as a vaccinated person is a problem, that's confusing.

Personally, I'm fully vaccinated so I'm happy to go wherever I darn well please. I have no worries or hang-ups about traveling.

But switching that Disney World vacation to a Disneyland trip doesn't seem wise either, at least from the hard data and statistics of the past 18 months.

Perhaps the current stats after 18 months of Covid testing/tracking/statistics might ease your fears? Here's the overall Covid death rate per state. And remember, Florida has the 5th oldest population in the union, while California has the 5th youngest population in the union. The media age of death from Covid was around 80 years old in 2020.

I include the top 3 and bottom 3 states as a point of reference. Plus the two states that have Disneyland's in them, and Texas which is getting a Disneyland on a big patch of land outside Dallas, or so my Dallas real estate agent told me. :cool:

Covid Death Rate by State as of August 7th, 2021
#1 New Jersey = 3,000 Deaths Per 1 Million
(median age of state 40.1 years old)
#2 New York = 2,793 Deaths Per 1 Million (median age of state 39.2 years old)
#3 Massachussetts = 2,604 Deaths Per 1 Million (median age of state 39.6 years old)
#25 Texas = 1,858 Deaths Per 1 Million (median age of state 35.0 years old)
#26 Florida = 1,848 Deaths Per 1 Million (median age of state 42.5 years old)
#32 California = 1,640 Deaths Per 1 Million (median age of state 37.0 years old)
#48 Alaska = 533 Deaths Per 1 Million (median age of state 35.0 years old)
#49 Vermont = 417 Deaths Per 1 Million
(median age of state 35.0 years old)
#50 Hawaii = 383 Deaths Per 1 Million (median age of state 39.6 years old)

When you adjust for the median age of Floridians being a full 5.5 years older than the median age of Californians, the death rate is likely much better in Florida the past 18 months than it has been in California. Again, the median age of death for Covid patients in 2020 was around 80 years old. It kills primarily the old and the infirm.

California is currently ranked #18 with 53.3% of the population fully vaccinated.
Florida is currently ranked #24 with 49.3% of the population fully vaccinated.

Vermont is #1 with 67.7% fully vaccinated, and Alabama is #50 with 34.6% fully vaccinated.

Is it too late to book a trip to Vermont instead? If you are north of Montpelier, the first of the leaves may begin to change by mid September. :D

fctiger

Your statement here is a bit hard to follow. You are critical of Southern states for being less vaccinated, and yet you are going to travel to a Southern state for the purely decadent purpose of a Disney World vacation? If you feel going to a Southern state as a vaccinated person is a problem, that's confusing.

But switching that Disney World vacation to a Disneyland trip doesn't seem wise either, at least from the hard data and statistics of the past 18 months.

Perhaps the current stats after 18 months of Covid testing/tracking/statistics might ease your fears? Here's the overall Covid death rate per state. And remember, Florida has the 5th oldest population in the union, while California has the 5th youngest population in the union. The media age of death from Covid was around 80 years old in 2020.

#3 Massachussetts = 2,604 Deaths Per 1 Million (median age of state 39.6 years old)
#32 California = 1,640 Deaths Per 1 Million (median age of state 37.0 years old)

When you adjust for the median age of Floridians being a full 5.5 years older than the median age of Californians, the death rate is likely much better in Florida the past 18 months than it has been in California. Again, the median age of death for Covid patients in 2020 was around 80 years old. It kills primarily the old and the infirm.

California is currently ranked #18 with 53.3% of the population fully vaccinated.

Vermont is #1 with 67.7% fully vaccinated, and Alabama is #50 with 34.6% fully vaccinated.

Is it too late to book a trip to Vermont instead? If you are north of Montpelier, the first of the leaves may begin to change by mid September. :D

Dude I literally said we made these plans back in May when we thought things were going on the upswing with the vaccinations and the Delta variant was barely in the news. But now they are on the downswing again. And because of that, as I also said, we are thinking of cancelling since we still have several weeks to decide. I have no idea how that is confusing lol. We literally go back and forth on it every day on what to do. The kids naturally really really want to still go and it will be their first time.

The one saving grace is we are all vaccinated so I don't fear of getting majorly sick or anything (we wouldn't be going at all if we all weren't vaccinated), but it's still a concern. At least everyone is forced to wear masks indoors at WDW, so that's another positive. If it wasn't for that change, we probably would've just cancelled by now.

TP2000

So I looked up the other California Theme Parks for the Covid Safety guidelines as of now. Since theres some smaller theme parks, I've only included ones that are more familiar to any of us.

Masks Required indoors regardless of Vaccination Status

Disneyland Resort (TWDC Decision. OC has not implemented a mask indoor mandate)

Universal Studios Hollywood (Under LA County Mask mandate)

Six Flags Magic Mountain (Under LA County Mask Mandate)

Gilroy Gardens (Under Santa Clara County Mask Mandate)

Californias Great America (Under Santa Clara County Mask Mandate)

Masks optional for fully vaccinated guests

Knotts Berry Farm
Legoland (Still
required for employees regardless of vaccination status)
Seaworld
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Adventure City
Castle Park

That's interesting that Knott's Berry Farm has aligned itself with the County of Orange and thus has no mask mandate. They have plenty of indoor stuff at Knott's Berry Farm, but it's nice they are just doing the same thing as the local OC supermarkets and malls and restaurants.

So far here in San Diego County, I have yet to see a store or restaurant attempt a mask mandate on their own. I doubt they want to risk losing the business after a very economically destructive 2020.

ToTBellHop

Personally, I'm fully vaccinated so I'm happy to go wherever I darn well please. I have no worries or hang-ups about traveling.

I include the top 3 and bottom 3 states as a point of reference. Plus the two states that have Disneyland's in them, and Texas which is getting a Disneyland on a big patch of land outside Dallas, or so my Dallas real estate agent told me. :cool:

I already see some leaves changing and I’m in southern Connecticut…it’s been a very rainy and not terribly hot summer in New England, unfortunately. Apples should be glorious, at least (just picked blueberries last week and they were wonderful!).

TP2000

Dude I literally said we made these plans back in May when we thought things were going on the upswing with the vaccinations and the Delta variant was barely in the news. But now they are on the downswing again. And because of that, as I also said, we are thinking of cancelling since we still have several weeks to decide. I have no idea how that is confusing lol. We literally go back and forth on it every day on what to do.

The one saving grace is we are all vaccinated so I don't fear of getting majorly sick or anything (we wouldn't be going at all if we all weren't vaccinated), but it's still a concern. At least everyone is forced to wear masks indoors at WDW, so that's another positive.

I guess I'm just confused on why it would be a problem for you if you are vaccinated. You have a much higher chance of being killed in a car crash driving to the airport than you do of dying of Covid.

I say you should go and have fun! Why even care that Florida is nearly middle of the pack, #24 out of the 50 states on vaccinations? Let the non-vaccinated Floridians figure that out for themselves and just go have fun. It's Disney World for goshsakes, not a cancer ward.

Last edited:

TP2000

I already see some leaves changing and I’m in southern Connecticut…it’s been a very rainy and not terribly hot summer in New England, unfortunately. Apples should be glorious, at least (just picked blueberries last week and they were wonderful!).

Wow! I heard the Northeast had a mild summer, but didn't know it was that cool already.

We've had a very average summer here in SoCal, but the night temps are running lower than normal now because there was a massively huge upwelling of unusually cold water in the western Pacific the past 30 days. Or so I heard at a party I was at this weekend where I got stuck next to the piano with a retired marine biologist from Scripps who thought that was interesting party chatter. 🤣

ToTBellHop

Wow! I heard the Northeast had a mild summer, but didn't know it was that cool already.

We've had a very average summer here in SoCal, but the night temps are running lower than normal now because there was a massively huge upwelling of unusually cold water in the western Pacific the past 30 days. Or so I heard at a party I was at this weekend where I got stuck next to the piano with a retired marine biologist from Scripps who thought that was interesting party chatter. 🤣
Flying to California for the first time in 16 years tomorrow (wife and kids have never been)! This trip has been delayed quite a few times so I’m happy to come before the recall…who knows what will happen then!

waltography

Flying to California for the first time in 16 years tomorrow (wife and kids have never been)!
Are you here for Disneyland? If so, enjoy! I've heard crowds have been super light since school's starting to go back in session (and boarding groups have been relatively easy to come by!).

ToTBellHop

Are you here for Disneyland? If so, enjoy! I've heard crowds have been super light since school's starting to go back in session (and boarding groups have been relatively easy to come by!).
A few days in San Diego, then a day at USH, then 5 days at DL staying at the Grand (villas), then flying up to San Francisco for a few nights. It’s a bucket list trip for us since it’s so far and we want to do several Europe trips in the years ahead. I suspect we won’t return to SoCal until the 2028 Olympics (another item on the bucket list). Maybe they’ll build the Avengers E-ticket by then!

TP2000

A few days in San Diego, then a day at USH, then 5 days at DL staying at the Grand (villas), then flying up to San Francisco for a few nights. It’s a bucket list trip for us since it’s so far and we want to do several Europe trips in the years ahead. I suspect we won’t return to SoCal until the 2028 Olympics (another item on the bucket list). Maybe they’ll build the Avengers E-ticket by then!

That sounds fabulous! Enjoy it, and take lots of photos.

The weather this week here in San Diego is the typical August drumbeat; bright sun with a sea breeze and highs in the mid to upper 70's. Warmer inland (if you go to the Wild Animal Park).

That forecast is allegedly what we pay all this money in taxes for. 🤣

waltography

Ah, what a great itinerary, sounds like a blast! I'm also looking into Europe trips in the coming years - I really want to go back to Rome soon and would love to visit London and Brussels too. Hope I'll still be around in LA in time for the Olympics!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom