Coranavirus Disneyland General Discussion

Vegas Disney Fan

Although, it should be note I am not antimask, I am antimandates. For example, I don't think that anywhere should be allowed to require proof of vaccination for employment or for their customers, just as nowhere should be allowed to say you have to wear a mask. They can encourage, sure,maybe even offer a discount to those that do, but not refuse service to those that don't.

I’m anti mandate also but prefer businesses make their own rules, the difference between a government mandate and a business mandate is choice, if you don’t like a businesses rules you can choose not to go there or work there (or choose to go there specifically because you like the rules)… if you don’t like a government mandate you have no other options.

I dislike the government anti-mandates also… if Disney Cruise Lines wants to require vaccinations they should be allowed to, or not, but it should be their choice, not the states or the feds.

What a business decides doesn’t affect your choice of getting a vaccination or not at all, it might affect where you can eat or shop or cruise but that’s about it. You still are free to make your own decision.

Lilofan

Going back to the original post, do we see Disney shutting down if numbers don't improve? I am sad because things were looking hopeful and returning to normal until last week.
Chapek will be on the public company earnings call w/ Wall Street on Aug 12. Wall Street does Q&A with him after Disney reports earnings.

BuddyThomas

Sooooo, the user named WDWMagic, whom I assume is the owner of this site, put the following warning on one of the Walt Disney World Coronavirus threads earlier today:

REMINDER - This thread is not to endlessly debate if masks work. This is specifically about WDW and mask policy. Anything other than that will be deleted.

All sorts of posts have been deleted, etc.

In the meantime, you Disneyland folks seem free to continue discussing everything under the sun, including politics, and without repercussions.

I'm all for free speech, but this site has various rules, and if you're only allowed to discuss Walt Disney World related matters on the Walt Disney World Coronavirus threads, why are there different rules down here?

Practical Pig

Sooooo, the user named WDWMagic, whom I assume is the owner of this site, put the following warning on one of the Walt Disney World Coronavirus threads earlier today:

REMINDER - This thread is not to endlessly debate if masks work. This is specifically about WDW and mask policy. Anything other than that will be deleted.

In the meantime, you Disneyland folks seem free to continue discussing everything under the sun, including politics, and without repercussions.

I'm all for free speech, but this site has various rules, and if you're only allowed to discuss Walt Disney World related matters on the Walt Disney World Coronavirus threads, why are there different rules down here?
My take: I think it has to do with scale. The mods need to exert a stronger hand to maintain order in the sprawling landscape of the WDW side of the forums due to the sheer numbers of people pushing the rules. Here in the single, intimate DLR forum, we comprise a small handful of fora fauna and present a much smaller challenge to the mods efforts to douse the fires.

Or something else.

BuddyThomas

My take: I think it has to do with scale. The mods need to exert a stronger hand to maintain order in the sprawling landscape of the WDW side of the forums due to the sheer numbers of people pushing the rules. Here in the single, intimate DLR forum, we comprise a small handful of fora fauna and present a much smaller challenge to the mods efforts to douse the fires.

Or something else.
Well site consistency would be nice, but then again, so would world peace, and we know that's never gonna happen, sooooooooo,,,,,,,,,,,

DLR92

I wonder what some of these people will do when a whole host of mRNA vaccines come out for different things that can save your life.

Human trials include HIV, influenza, Zika and rabies.

Malaria, tuberculosis, hepatitis B and Cystic fibrosis are the next focus along with some kinds of cancer.
Moderna already is in study trial with their mRNA vaccine for HIV.

milordsloth

That warning was given in the mask policy specific thread, not the general WDW and Coronavirus thread. The general coronavirus thread on that side goes on plenty of tangents also.

TP2000

For those who are dismissive of well, everything : Yikes.

That would seem to be more of an issue of hospital capacity in those poor Southern states. And both of those states sit on or near a major earthquake fault line that could bring widespread destruction at any moment. The New Madrid earthquake fault could generate up to an 8.0, worse than any 7.5 that California might face.

What have those poor states done to increase hospital capacity when that fateful day arrives? In the meantime, they can rely on the US Armed Forces to provide military field hospitals with only 24 hours notice if they need help caring for the willfully unvaccinated.

Mississippi (Population 2.9 Million) = 37.8% Vaccinated
Whites = 33.8% Vaccinated
Blacks = 32.0% Vaccinated

Arkansas (Population 3.0 Million) = 42.8% Vaccinated
Whites = 38.4% Vaccinated
Blacks = 30.1% Vaccinated

While there are huge social and economic differences between California and those two poor Southern states, there are demographic similarities between the two. Just like in fabulously wealthy Los Angeles County, population 10.1 Million, the most unvaccinated demographic are people of color living in working class zip codes. Get into those zip codes and get those folks vaccinated! Although Mississippi, as literally the poorest state in the union (perhaps West Virginia would contest that?) has many issues to deal with regardless of race or zip code. :(

Last edited:

unmitigated disaster

Well, right now (unless the Big One hits the New Madrid), it's the heart attacks. The car accidents. The work accidents. who are going to suffer. Sure we can point fingers at their not increasing hospital bed capacity, but really, why? Is that helpful?

truecoat

Until then.... wasn't that Covid vaccine approved quickly and efficiently and funded for every American in 2020? I wonder who did that? :cool:

The vaccine technology already existed​

Both the mRNA and adenovirus technologies behind the COVID-19 vaccines were built on decades of research and experience.

“The scientific community wasn’t starting from scratch. Adenovirus and mRNA technology has been used in humans for decades. These are not new technologies. It’s mature, safe technology that was tailored and employed to fight this pandemic,” Jordan said.

In fact, Burton added that Moderna has been working strictly on mRNA for years.

“From a technology perspective, what’s really interesting is in late January [2020], we were able to [detect the genome sequence of COVID] and put it on the internet, and researchers around the world had access to it, and that is unprecedented,” Jordan said.

truecoat

Well, right now (unless the Big One hits the New Madrid), it's the heart attacks. The car accidents. The work accidents. who are going to suffer. Sure we can point fingers at their not increasing hospital bed capacity, but really, why? Is that helpful?

Here's a doctor in Texas describing her situation...

We ran out of oxygen at my ER yesterday. We had to put ambulances in the parking lot and run tubing into the ER. I have no Remdesivir and no plasma as we are a freestanding ER. I’m out of Toradol. I’m rationing steroids.

I have a patient here: 21 years old and on BiPAP. We’re concerned about how much oxygen we can use up. Because we can’t give him all the O2 he needs we are struggling to get an O2 saturation over 88%. No one in the state of Texas has beds for him. Louisiana, Arkansas and Oklahoma are full. We are trying. I don’t have Vapotherm. Family is incredulous that there are no beds. We had one yesterday but overnight three nurses walked out on the shift they were on; so we lost the bed.

There are no favors left to call in. No one has anything. No one is special enough or sick enough to qualify for a bed. It hurts. It’s painful. I am not a good doctor today. I can not care for my patient the way he deserves.

TP2000

The vaccine technology already existed​

Both the mRNA and adenovirus technologies behind the COVID-19 vaccines were built on decades of research and experience.

“The scientific community wasn’t starting from scratch. Adenovirus and mRNA technology has been used in humans for decades. These are not new technologies. It’s mature, safe technology that was tailored and employed to fight this pandemic,” Jordan said.

In fact, Burton added that Moderna has been working strictly on mRNA for years.

“From a technology perspective, what’s really interesting is in late January [2020], we were able to [detect the genome sequence of COVID] and put it on the internet, and researchers around the world had access to it, and that is unprecedented,” Jordan said.

Yes, that mRNA tech has been worked on for years. And there are many vaccines in the development pipeline that will use it.

Malaria, a universal flu vaccine, a cancer vaccine, HIV, etc. are all being tested and developed by mRNA researchers.

But specifically, the Covid vaccines were rushed through development and freed from regulatory red tape and a few hundred million doses paid for in advance by the federal government in under a year's time. From unknown virus to multiple vaccines for hundreds of millions of Americans in under one year. That's extraordinary and unprecedented!

I wish things like the HIV vaccine could get the same treatment that Covid got in Washington DC, but that's another topic.

It took us years and years to get Shingrix approved for use in the USA, and Shingles is/was a horrible disease that the old Zostavax vaccine was rather crummy at fighting. I have a friend who got Shingles despite Zostavax, and it was awful for her. Shingrix works dramatically better, but was in regulatory hell for years and years before it was finally released for Americans in 2017.

Last edited:

TP2000

And for those keeping score at home... Orange County (population 3.1 Million, Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm) still has no mask mandate. Neither do we have a mask mandate here in San Diego County (population 3.3 Million, Sea World, San Diego Zoo, Legoland).

It's almost 4pm on a Thursday afternoon in August, which for bureaucrats is equivalent to a Friday afternoon the rest of the year. They won't be issuing any mask mandates anytime soon in either county. :cool:

So far, Los Angeles County (population 10.1 Million, Universal Studios and Six Flags) is the only county in SoCal with a mask mandate. It looks like it's going to stay that way.

Last edited:

milordsloth

And for those keeping score at home... Orange County (population 3.1 Million, Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm) still has no mask mandate. Neither do we have a mask mandate here in San Diego County (population 3.3 Million, Sea World, San Diego Zoo, Legoland).

It's a Thursday afternoon in August, which for bureaucrats is equivalent to a Friday afternoon the rest of the year. They won't be issuing any mask mandates anytime soon in either county. :cool:

So far, Los Angeles County (population 10.1 Million, Universal Studios and Six Flags) is the only county in SoCal with a mask mandate. It looks like it's going to stay that way.
Up here in Santa Clara County, we went back to a mask mandate earlier this week along with much of the Bay Area. I've had to go back to wearing a mask in my office even though everyone working here is vaccinated. I got so used to being done with masks!

I'm hoping Disneyland will be able to drop the indoor mask requirement by October, but keeping my expectations in check for my trip.

fctiger

America is now getting over 100,000 Covid cases a day again. A country that has more vaccine than any country by far and we're once again one of the sickest in the world. :rolleyes:

States, mostly southern ones, are dealing with hospital bed shortages again with those states the least vaccinated.

I have a trip to WDW already booked in two weeks. We thought things were going to be really turned around in Florida by then and instead it's getting worse than ever. We're thinking of cancelling and we're fully vaccinated.

This country sometimes, I swear.

SoCalDisneyLover

I have a trip to WDW already booked in two weeks. We thought things were going to be really turned around in Florida by then and instead it's getting worse than ever. We're thinking of cancelling and we're fully vaccinated.

This country sometimes, I swear.
I'm sorry to say, there is Zero chance things are going to be turned around in FL by 2 weeks from now. With 17K New Cases yesterday, and 20K today, it's a certainty that it will be worse.

Given the capacity DW is running at these days, I'd say you would be taking a risk. At least you're vaccinated, but at the moment, FL is probably in the Top 5 states where Covid is completely out of control.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom