News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanfze55

If J&J is a crappy vaccine it shouldn’t be offered.
J&J does appear to be less effective than Moderna and Pfizer against all variants. I wouldn’t call it “crappy” in absolute terms - but maybe in relation to the mRNA vaccines. My point is, we should not say the lambda variant evades vaccines if Pfizer and Moderna remain relatively effective - they constitute the vast majority of vaccines in the US. Seems more like an addiction to panic than anything else.

StarWarsGirl

I’m wondering everyones opinion on this.

Once kids have the opportunity to be vaccinated and 35 percent of the population is still not vaccinated do we just let it rip?

Or do we just play mask on mask off games forever, whenever we have another spike among the unvaccinated?
I plan to wear a mask from now on when it's cold/flu season. I used to catch everything that came around the pike and it's been so nice not even having a cold for the past year.

Ponderer

So I’m not sure why we are concluding the lambda variant totally evades our vaccines with such certainty. Maybe they evade the crappy vaccines

The mRNA ones certainly do a better job, which I’m sure is part of why Lambda is labeled a Variant of Interest instead of a Variant of Concern. But the thing is, the Chinese vaccine in Chile had one of the highest acceptance rates in the world. It was highly effective against the original virus and Alpha. Lambda figured how to game it.

Did you ever see WarGames, where the supercomputer is trying every possible launch code to set off all the US nuclear missiles? That’s not too dissimilar to what’s happening here. Our vaccine is better, but Delta has already dented its remarkable effectiveness. And it’ll keep going. According to the University of Washington, they’ve discovered that every single variant we have now descends from a *single mutation.* And that’s led to chaos.

It’s not like the mutation needs to transform the virus into a completely different thing. All it needs to do is find the right mutation in a spike protein. If the virus finds it, cells won’t have the blueprints from the mRNA vaccine to detect the virus. That is not such a fantastically unlikely possibility.

Hey, I want people to get vaccines in bulk numbers too. But right now, we’re in a situation where we need to blunt the impact and slow transmission and mutations as much as possible. In every region of the planet, until we can get global vax numbers in that 75-80 percent range. Seatbelts AND airbags.

Masks, masks, masks. Especially in high traffic areas like Walt Disney World and all those human targets.

Anyway, that’s the last I‘m gonna talk abt the virus in general. Would love to continue over in the general thread but lost privileges last year, so anyway. I believe in masks and I believe in the mask policy at WDW.

Incomudro

The mask is required.

Debate over how necessary they are isn't the main issue here.

These people need to grow up and follow the rules.

Wear a mask or stay home. Act like an adult. Something too many people are incapable of doing.
Debate over how necessary - how effective something we are forced to wear - is absolutely important.
Not questioning the efficacy of something as in "Wear a mask or stay at home" is not adult.
It's actually something children do.
Do masks do something?
Sure, probably in certain situations - and that no doubt varies under conditions of crowd density, duration of time, who's carrying and who isn't, and on and on.
It's the certainty of the "mask up" statement that really gets under my skin.

Parker in NYC

Allow me to recap. My reply was a reply to a post where the family drive from Texas to to to Universal Orlando and the Dad contracted COVID somewhere during the vacation. So looking on the positive side:
  • Dad will recover.
  • I am not a Dr. but Dad looks to be overweight which probably contributed to his complications that sent him to the hospital rather than simply recovering at home like the rest of the family.
  • No ventilator! just some oxygen, pretty standard. It looks like we are learning how to properly treat this and not just sticking folks on ventilators to die.
  • He probably got it at Universal for all you Universal hating Disney fans.
They did say in the article they had a great vacation, so there’s that, plus there probably other good things to list as well.
I still don’t understand the car accident rebuttal. But, you do you.

Lilofan

Debate over how necessary - how effective something we are forced to wear - is absolutely important.
Not questioning the efficacy of something as in "Wear a mask or stay at home" is not adult.
Do masks do something?
Sure, probably in certain situations - and that no doubt varies under conditions of crowd density, duration of time, who's carrying and who isn't, and on and on.
I say just wear the mask. A number of people are actually anti intellectual motivated by fear and conspiracy theories on many matters covid.

TehPuddingMan

I’m going next week regardless of the the mask situation. It’s my anniversary and me and the wife have been looking forward to a couple days without the kids. We have dinner at Narcoossies and California Grill.

I also have trip planned the last week of September with my oldest daughter. I’m using dvc points that expire Sept 30th, so we will probably just do a food and wine trip. The thought of standing outside in a line with a mask on in September is not appealing in the least.

I’m over masks. Hopefully things will be better by then.

Trauma

Yeah…not to nitpick (here goes…)

but you said you’d cancel if they made YOU wear a mask…$41,000 was too much to pay….

but now they make managers get vaccines and you say “I’m in!!!”

I guess “self baiting and switching” works!?…you do you 👍🏻
I would agree Walter 41k is to much to pay don’t you think 😀

I get what your saying in a way your right.

Look I haven’t been able to say in my head
“Disney is doing something positive here” in a long time

If you reflect on it, can you admit that just maybe your desire to point out my Hypocrisy is fueled in part by your current dislike for the parks, that has nothing at all to do with Covid ?

Wendy Pleakley

Do masks do something?

You miss the point. Debate all you want. Discuss all you want. Write letters. Make phone calls.

The point is Disney has set a rule and if you cannot follow it stay home until it changes.

Trauma

The mRNA ones certainly do a better job, which I’m sure is part of why Lambda is labeled a Variant of Interest instead of a Variant of Concern. But the thing is, the Chinese vaccine in Chile had one of the highest acceptance rates in the world. It was highly effective against the original virus and Alpha. Lambda figured how to game it.

Did you ever see WarGames, where the supercomputer is trying every possible launch code to set off all the US nuclear missiles? That’s not too dissimilar to what’s happening here. Our vaccine is better, but Delta has already dented its remarkable effectiveness. And it’ll keep going. According to the University of Washington, they’ve discovered that every single variant we have now descends from a *single mutation.* And that’s led to chaos.

It’s not like the mutation needs to transform the virus into a completely different thing. All it needs to do is find the right mutation in a spike protein. If the virus finds it, cells won’t have the blueprints from the mRNA vaccine to detect the virus. That is not such a fantastically unlikely possibility.

Hey, I want people to get vaccines in bulk numbers too. But right now, we’re in a situation where we need to blunt the impact and slow transmission and mutations as much as possible. In every region of the planet, until we can get global vax numbers in that 75-80 percent range. Seatbelts AND airbags.

Masks, masks, masks. Especially in high traffic areas like Walt Disney World and all those human targets.

Anyway, that’s the last I‘m gonna talk abt the virus in general. Would love to continue over in the general thread but lost privileges last year, so anyway. I believe in masks and I believe in the mask policy at WDW.
Request your privileges back.

I don’t agree with your point of view but hate to see it silenced.

With all the crazy stuff that gets posted in there with no consequences, I’m sure whatever you did does not warrant a permanent ban.

Trauma

I’m response to the bulk of this post I don’t think you can link masks at Disney, or anywhere for that matter, to vaccination percentages.

I just don’t think we are going to hit the numbers required.

If we link mask wearing at Disney to vaccine percentage then they are going to be around a long long time.

Chi84

Premium Member
Am I the only one who finds it incredibly rude for people to keep telling others to stay home? It's not as though this is a new or original thought, and it adds absolutely nothing to the discussion except bad feelings. Can't we agree that everyone already knows they can stay home instead of visiting WDW?

Trauma

Am I the only one who finds it incredibly rude for people to keep telling others to stay home? It's not as though this is a new or original thought, and it adds absolutely nothing to the discussion except bad feelings. Can't we agree that everyone already knows they can stay home instead of visiting WDW?
Sorry if you don’t like my response you can just stay home.

Did I do it right?

Trauma

Why is this relevant to Disney.

This is basically where I live and masks are now recommended but not required.

Ive been out all day, shopping out to eat etc.

Maybe 5% of people in masks if I’m being generous.

If they don’t mandate it for everyone it’s basically a no mask zone.

Now what’s the right thing to do is up to debate, but I can say for sure that without a firm mandate masks will not be worn.

disneygeek90

I was there with 2 other fully vaccinated people today from 10am-7pm, Hollywood and Epcot. Yes they’re being enforced, no it’s not the end of the world. Would I cancel a trip because of them? No. Not if masks are the only reason for cancelling.

It seems like the most responsible thing they can do considering their competitors don’t want to step up and the state recorded their highest number ever.

Magic Feather

The one tricky thing I’ve seen about the current policy is defining where masks start being required. Some outdoor extended queues require masks, while others don’t. Even some instances where you still don’t need it after passing under the marquee. I know it’s hot, but for simplicity, I wish they would just make masks required from the start of the line for an attraction, regardless of where it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom