Disney World Rain Queue Stoppage? (Angry)

CaptinEO

Original Poster
Was in Disney World for 2 days last week. Towards the end of our day at Animal Kingdom we waited for Navi River Journey. After almost an hour of waiting it started pouring rain.

At this point the line stopped moving entirely. After being stuck for a half hour someone talked to an employee who told them that people were refusing to leave the rides exit due to the rain and that for capacity reasons they couldnt let anyone on the ride.

We had to be stuck an hour total (until the rain stopped) and then wait another 15 minutes for the ride to be running again.

So 75 minutes of additional waiting because Disney wouldn't kick people out of the ride's exit? Is this normal? Why can't security do something. Crazy since it rains a LOT in Orlando.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
I mean....welcome to Florida and a line of people who dont know what to do?
Is this a regular occurence? Only our 3rd time at Disney World but we've been through worse and never hung out at a ride's exit, we had ponchos, rain coats, and umbrellas.

Does Disney not use security to kick people out? They'd rather keep a long stopped for a long period of time?

wdwjmp239

Most people will have ponchos, rain coats, umbrellas, and just suck it up as they move about the park. But, I think as a safety precaution, Disney cast members should've said something to these people to "move it along" because a back up at the exit can have reverberating effects right up to the entrance queue. Does security need to get involved? If there's resistance about leaving, then yes.

For those of you who like to back up traffic on a ride because of rain? It's water people! It just comes down a little harder here than it does where you may be visiting from. The only thing I would be worried about (and I've lived down here for 30+ years now) is the thunder. If you hear thunder, then there's lightning nearby. We have a saying down here, "When thunder roars....get indoors" (and this does NOT mean blocking the exit to a ride thankyouverymuch) ;)

Hcalvert

Something similar happened to me during one of my rides on the Rise of the Resistance this past June. It was pouring, so they ushered us all to be under an overhang before we entered the ship. It was still pouring when we were getting off the ride. I think the castmembers were prepared for this as they were offering free ponchos (the cheap ones not the ones they roll out when it rains) so people would leave the exit area. It worked. People put on their free poncho and went out the exit.

Lilofan

Was in Disney World for 2 days last week. Towards the end of our day at Animal Kingdom we waited for Navi River Journey. After almost an hour of waiting it started pouring rain.

At this point the line stopped moving entirely. After being stuck for a half hour someone talked to an employee who told them that people were refusing to leave the rides exit due to the rain and that for capacity reasons they couldnt let anyone on the ride.

We had to be stuck an hour total (until the rain stopped) and then wait another 15 minutes for the ride to be running again.

So 75 minutes of additional waiting because Disney wouldn't kick people out of the ride's exit? Is this normal? Why can't security do something. Crazy since it rains a LOT in Orlando.
That's all too common. When the daily rains come, the guests inside the attraction do not want to go into the rain thunder and lightning after riding thus shutting down the ride for future riders to ride.Welcome to WDW.

yankspy

The funny thing is that there are plenty of places within a few feet of anywhere where you can take shelter In The parks. Stores, QS locations, etc. I remember waiting out a storm under the peoplemover that was out of the way of everyone.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
Most people will have ponchos, rain coats, umbrellas, and just suck it up as they move about the park. But, I think as a safety precaution, Disney cast members should've said something to these people to "move it along" because a back up at the exit can have reverberating effects right up to the entrance queue. Does security need to get involved? If there's resistance about leaving, then yes.

For those of you who like to back up traffic on a ride because of rain? It's water people! It just comes down a little harder here than it does where you may be visiting from. The only thing I would be worried about (and I've lived down here for 30+ years now) is the thunder. If you hear thunder, then there's lightning nearby. We have a saying down here, "When thunder roars....get indoors" (and this does NOT mean blocking the exit to a ride thankyouverymuch) ;)
I mean in this case it was 60 minutes of people refusing to exit the ride so you'd think security would be called at some point. Unless this is a normal occurence.

We're from California and we are prepared and can suck it up and deal with rain. I'm amazed people were just hanging out at the exit not leaving. It sets a bad precedent if Disney can't get this situation figured out, since it rains so much in Orlando.

Anyone in ops know the procedure for this?

celluloid

I mean in this case it was 60 minutes of people refusing to exit the ride so you'd think security would be called at some point. Unless this is a normal occurence.
If it was a Lightning situation, and Disney makes them leave cover to get hit, than that would not look good on the company.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
If it was a Lightning situation, and Disney makes them leave cover to get hit, than that would not look good on the company.
Didn't see any lightning during this storm. I'm curious what Disney's policies are in this situation.

I guess they'll inconvenience their guests waiting in line as long as possible to not look like they are forcing people into rain? If it's a multihour storm will they do the same?

wdwjmp239

A little Disney "bro" tip for you? Instead of paying $$$ for ponchos, if you have garbage bags....you can cut out holes for the head and arms and bring a few with you. What brand of garbage bag? Doesn't matter. I'm big on the Costco Kirkland Signature brand, but any will do....even the cheap-o bags from your local dollar store. :)

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
People always think they are going to melt when it rains.
If they have ponchos they wouldn't.
I've never seen where people lingering at the exit actually caused a back up in the queue but then again most of the time it only rains for like 15 minutes at a time.
But even when in July 2019 it rained pretty much all day 2 our of my 3 park days I was never held up in a line due to it.
They are still short staffed. Honestly have been for a few years but its worse right now.
And CM's these days no longer seem to have a backbone to say listen I have authority of you because they are worried there's gonna be a crazy Karen encounter.
5 years ago in line for Space Mountain line cutting was not allowed... 3 years ago at least 10 people walked past me as I waited saying "my baby is up there I can't let my little one go on alone". I tried to get a CM's attention and nothing was done.

celluloid

Didn't see any lightning during this storm. I'm curious what Disney's policies are in this situation.

I guess they'll inconvenience their guests waiting in line as long as possible to not look like they are forcing people into rain? If it's a multihour storm will they do the same?

You don't have to see lightning for it to be in the area. There are times where there is not a drop of water and it is as hot as any summer day, but Lightning can be within a mile. Essentially, the lightning strike capital of the world.

MickeyLuv'r

We once entered Buzz before it rained. When we went to exit, downpour. The giftshop of Buzz was very crowded, long before covid-era, so we had some idea something was up, but we were eager to leave.

Unfortunately, the pavement by the exit had a pothole, and my companion's sneaker went right to the bottom! Instantly soaked. If visiting WDW in summer, it pays to wear water tolerant walking shoes!

I'm no water whimp though. I chuckle sometimes to see folks STILL wearing ponchos in the FL summer heat a full hour after the rain has ended, drenched in their own sweat. Eww! 🥵

Instead of just ponchos, we love our pocket-fold raincoats. These are raincoats that fold down into one pocket and are very light. When folded, they are only slightly bigger than plastic ponchos, but much more comfortable to wear. Our rule of thumb is to carry an emergency poncho if rain risk is below 50%, and pocket-parka if it is above 50%. Even then, we mostly prefer getting wet to busting out the plastic. Pocket rain jackets are sold by a number of places this time of year. Uniqlo in Disney Springs has some foldable jackets that are inexpensive, but theirs don't really work for rain. (more windbreakers).

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
What about the people at the entrance line? How does being stuck in front of the ride differ from being forced to leave at the exit?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom