Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
No, I know -- but at some point they changed the fictional establishment date from 1852 to 1911. The current sign (well, maybe current?) says 1911.
In 1852 many countries still had slavery (including the U.S.). And though most had banned the slave trade by then, it was still happening illegally.

So, perhaps best not to set up the question of whether the JNC was involved in the slave trade with a 1852 establishment date and whether its founders owned or traded in slaves.

UNCgolf

In 1852 many countries still had slavery (including the U.S.). And though most had banned the slave trade by then, it was still happening illegally.

So, perhaps best not to set up the question of whether the JNC was involved in the slave trade with a 1852 establishment date and whether its founders owned or traded in slaves.

From a historical standpoint, 1911 isn't that much better than 1852 -- King Leopold's brutal use of the Congo as a nation wide slave camp had just ended a few years earlier.

It's as good an explanation as any, though.

Sir_Cliff

To my mind, the new design works well and fits the tone of the attraction. It is thematically and aesthetically consistent with the existing signage (except, perhaps, for the bite, which is a little cartoonish for my liking):
This is my only real reservation about the sign. They seem to have forgotten with a few elements of this refresh that they need to make the environment somewhat plausible rather than so obviously a wacky theme park attraction. That was kind of the thing Disney always seemed to understand better than its competitors.

It's a bit frustrating as they seem to get a lot right... then can't resist the urge to go for a wacky prop which kind of ruins the effect. I see they're also dismantling elements of the Adventureland sign and I really hope they don't go the same route with whatever they add to it.

brettf22

Premium Member
From what I've seen, I think the Jungle Cruise updates are a plus. But, given these updates, I was puzzled when I saw a snippet from the movie featuring one of the co-stars referencing "blow dart dodging." Wouldn't this run contrary to what they are attempting to "fix" with the ride updates? Here's a screen shot from the clip:

blowdart.jpg

The clip can be seen at

UNCgolf

From what I've seen, I think the Jungle Cruise updates are a plus. But, given these updates, I was puzzled when I saw a snippet from the movie featuring one of the co-stars referencing "blow dart dodging." Wouldn't this run contrary to what they are attempting to "fix" with the ride updates? Here's a screen shot from the clip:

View attachment 575232

The clip can be seen at

One of the other trailers addresses this.

The "natives" are hired by Dwayne Johnson's character to provide extra excitement to the people taking his cruise. They're in on it. I suppose they could have done something similar with the ride, but it would have been much harder to pull off without still making changes to the scenes.

I think that would still be considered problematic by some people, but I'd assume less so than actually playing it straight that the "natives" are really trying to kill them.

brettf22

Premium Member

The "natives" are hired by Dwayne Johnson's character to provide extra excitement to the people taking his cruise. They're in on it. I suppose they could have done something similar with the ride, but it would have been much harder to pull off without still making changes to the scenes.

I think that would still be considered problematic by some people, but I'd assume less so than actually playing it straight that the "natives" are really trying to kill them.
Makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Riverrafter21

A ride that might be around another 20+ years can’t have “problematic” cultural depictions as it will be under constant scrutiny. However a movie that everyone will forget in a year can have all the “problematic” story it needs to help the box office numbers.

Do as we say, not as we do and be sure to give us your money.

FigmentJedi

There's actually another native tribe in the jungle itself protecting the tree from the zombie conquistadors or something.

Incomudro

What would be wrong with the natives trying to kill them?
Honestly, things like that happened.
Can we no longer have the scenes in Pirates of the Caribbean II where Jack is persued and captured by the local people?

Last edited:

Riverrafter21

Well, apparently I can't read this thread anymore until I see the movie.

Thanks for all the spoilers!!

The boat goes down the river, The Rock is invincible, The Rock beats up the bad guys, they all tell bad jokes, Emily Blunt has a brave moment, they make it down the river, Emily kisses The Rock, we learn a lesson about life, and wave good bye at the dock as The Rock drives off into the setting jungle sun.

JoeCamel

Interesting that they changed the establishment date for JC from 1852 to 1911. Guessing it must've been changed in the mid 90's when both the DL and MK version of the JC received a solidified time period of the 1930's. Not sure why though.

I think a more specific art direction perhaps that helped with the major changes in the 90s. The music is old but familiar, khaki colors and excuses for technology and specific dramaturgy items that you see. It is not that the attraction ever took place in 1852, but the fictional company was established then.

No, I know -- but at some point they changed the fictional establishment date from 1852 to 1911. The current sign (well, maybe current?) says 1911.
The African Queen movie was set at the outbreak of WW1. The timeline might be then

Sharon&Susan

People will say Jungle Cruise is NOT basedon The African Queen but it so clearly is.
You're right the boats are inspired by the boat in African Queen. It does not make Jungle Cruise an IP based ride (if that's what your point is?) The "breathing" doors in HM are based on the ones on The Haunting, it does not make it Disney's The Haunting the Ride.

celluloid

View attachment 575232

The clip can be seen at

Yes, it is quite hypocritical.

Also, "toots" is a derogatory term.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom