News Early Theme Park Entry and Extended Evening Hours coming for resort guests

JAB

I guess I don't understand adding Swan/Dolphin and the new part, yet excluding the actual other on-site Disney resorts.

Does Disney make money off of Swan/Dolphin bookings?
A brief Swalphin history - it was commissioned by Michael Eisner who originally intended for it to be a Disney-owned convention resort. However, development company Tishman - who provided construction for Epcot - claimed their contract gave them exclusive rights to convention hotels on Disney property. So, after battling back and forth for a while, they compromised, and Disney leased the land (for 99 years) to Tishman who built and own the buildings and use the Disney name in exchange for Disney getting a cut of the revenue. Eisner chose the architect, and I believe Disney also has final approval on any design changes. So they're kind of Disney resorts, but not quite.

Disney is only offering the evening hours for deluxe resorts, and Swan & Dolphin are much closer to deluxe resorts than they are to moderates/values. When you put that together with the fact that, because of their unique position as "sort-of Disney," S&D guests have always had access to most of the Disney resort benefits, it makes sense to me that they would get the extra evening hours.

pdude81

The Swan Reserve across the street is kind of annoying. Certainly that new hotel wasn't grandfathered in on any old contracts.

dreday3

The Swan Reserve across the street is kind of annoying. Certainly that new hotel wasn't grandfathered in on any old contracts.

I don't get why Swan Reserve gets it, but still no Gran Destino. They are same level at least.

I called and asked - they told me no. :D

JAB

The way I understand the lease, Tishman isn't allowed to build any more resorts on the property. However, the land that Swan Reserve is built on was previously the tennis courts for the Swan, so that land is likely considered part of the Swan property as far as the contract goes. It was originally going to be called "The Cove at the Walt Disney World Swan" and ended up being "Swan Reserve" because in order to not violate the terms of their lease, it has to be considered an extension of the Swan. As such, it will very likely get whatever benefits the Swan gets.

pdude81

The way I understand the lease, Tishman isn't allowed to build any more resorts on the property. However, the land that Swan Reserve is built on was previously the tennis courts for the Swan, so that land is likely considered part of the Swan property as far as the contract goes. It was originally going to be called "The Cove at the Walt Disney World Swan" and ended up being "Swan Reserve" because in order to not violate the terms of their lease, it has to be considered an extension of the Swan. As such, it will very likely get whatever benefits the Swan gets.
They had to chop up part of the mini golf course though too I thought. I get what you're saying about it acting as an extension of the Swan though. I just don't love the continual watering down of whatever you'd consider Deluxe amenities to be. Then again, I have heard they considered a new Polynesian tower on the other side of the parking lot and that would have counted too.

UNCgolf

They had to chop up part of the mini golf course though too I thought. I get what you're saying about it acting as an extension of the Swan though. I just don't love the continual watering down of whatever you'd consider Deluxe amenities to be. Then again, I have heard they considered a new Polynesian tower on the other side of the parking lot and that would have counted too.

I don't think so -- I'm pretty sure the two Fantasia Gardens courses are still there the same as before.

Notes from Neverland

The mini golf courses were not changed. There were two event pavilions past the mini golf courses that were demolished, but the actual courses themselves weren't touched.

Goodeone

It's been posted in articles and press releases related to Swan/Dolphin and SoG getting the extra hours, so I take that as somewhat official without any explicit denial by the mouse.
I believe he's referring to what parks will have the benefit on what days.

I'm staying at the Dolphin myself from Oct.8th-11th and am very interested in finding this out ASAP myself. It would definitely help us to make some park reservation decisions.

pdude81

I believe he's referring to what parks will have the benefit on what days.

I'm staying at the Dolphin myself from Oct.8th-11th and am very interested in finding this out ASAP myself. It would definitely help us to make some park reservation decisions.
Oh ok, then I misunderstood.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here is the first published schedule for the Extended Evening Hours -

Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 4.05.34 PM.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom