Hours Needed For Each Park

Gran Fiesta

I am going on a trip soon to Disney World in August and I was starting to plan out each day with park hopper and trying to maximize the time I have in the parks to try to do as many attractions as possible. We are a group of only 2 and we are going to spend 5 days in the park. I just wanted some advice on how should we distribute our hours in order to do everything in the parks? I didn't want to go to one park for too few hours or another too many hours. I know this is kind of a vague question since everyone does Disney differently, but we really want to try to go all out from rope drop until park closure all 5 days. Also our hours might change just based on how fast we get things done, thats the nice thing about park hopper.

So far our (planned) hours distribution so far is:

MK: 17
HS: 14
AK: 13
EP: 11

(Also I know I'm just splitting hairs here lol, but I am overall just interested to see which parks everyone spends the most time at compared to ones they don't)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Are you or your companion a new visitor to WDW ?
What sort of dining do you have planned ?
Any ride types y'all dont like ?

My wife and I are frequent visitors and spend the most hours in Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom for us are only about a half a day experience.

Upvote 0

UNCgolf

It's hard not to spend the most time at the Magic Kingdom because there's so much more there to do than there is at any of the other parks.

I probably spend the second most time at Animal Kingdom, although it's pretty close with EPCOT. DHS is definitely last; it's hard for me to spend more than half a day there once per trip. All the other parks have reasons for me to go back.

Upvote 0

NeedMoreMickey

Never planned a trip think about hours but I think I spend the least amount of time in MK. We stay at YC/BC or Boardwalk most of the time so we could be in and out of Epcot and HS multiple rimes a day. Some trips we skip AK

Upvote 0

yensid67

5 Days in the parks?

Day 1: MK(late entry Noon) Pick a few MUST DO attractions
Day 2: EP
Day 3: DHS
Day 4: MK(Rope Drop ALL DAY) Finish Must DO attractions and enjoy the rest of the day taking in the sights and sounds of MK OR head over to another park(DHS)

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
If you’ve never been before the most important thing to realise is that you cannot see and do everything.

But for 5 days I would do 2 at MK and 1 each elsewhere. Now if you’re a massive Star Wars fan you might want to change that to 2 days at DHS. Since you have park hoppers you can be more flexible .

However you really need to sit down and pick out the things you feel you really must do. Then you can see which park is going to need the extra day / half day.

Upvote 0

Gran Fiesta

Original Poster
Are you or your companion a new visitor to WDW ?
What sort of dining do you have planned ?
Any ride types y'all dont like ?

My wife and I are frequent visitors and spend the most hours in Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom for us are only about a half a day experience.
We have been before but it has been a while, and we just plan on doing all quick service. When we went Hollywood studios was only a 1/2 day for us as well but A LOT has changed since then. Toy story land, Star Wars land, and MMRR have all opened since then and I was wondering if I need more time there because of those things?

Upvote 0

Gran Fiesta

Original Poster
5 Days in the parks?

Day 1: MK(late entry Noon) Pick a few MUST DO attractions
Day 2: EP
Day 3: DHS
Day 4: MK(Rope Drop ALL DAY) Finish Must DO attractions and enjoy the rest of the day taking in the sights and sounds of MK OR head over to another park(DHS)
This is kinda exactly how we have our days layed out. I figured we would need the most time in MK for sure, but then after that I really don’t know which ones to spend our time in the most. I guess it just depends on preferences, crowds, and wait times

Upvote 0

Gran Fiesta

Original Poster
Another thing I’m kinda bummed about park hopper is that Epcot doesn’t open until 11:00am. So it’s either I get a park reservation for Epcot and lose 2-3 hours in the morning. Or we don’t get any park reservations for Epcot and can only park hop after 2:00 (eliminating lunch options from the food festival that is going on)

Upvote 0

Gran Fiesta

Original Poster
If you’ve never been before the most important thing to realise is that you cannot see and do everything.

But for 5 days I would do 2 at MK and 1 each elsewhere. Now if you’re a massive Star Wars fan you might want to change that to 2 days at DHS. Since you have park hoppers you can be more flexible .

However you really need to sit down and pick out the things you feel you really must do. Then you can see which park is going to need the extra day / half day.
Yeah we really want to do *everything* but we know that is not reality with only 5 days. But it’s going to be a while until we can coordinate time off and financially afford to go back again, so we are trying to make the most of it. As I mentioned earlier there is so many new things since we last went (especially at HS)

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Another thing I’m kinda bummed about park hopper is that Epcot doesn’t open until 11:00am. So it’s either I get a park reservation for Epcot and lose 2-3 hours in the morning. Or we don’t get any park reservations for Epcot and can only park hop after 2:00 (eliminating lunch options from the food festival that is going on)
You could hop between Epcot and DHS very easily. I would make one reservation for Epcot and maybe even try and enter by the IG to get to Ratatouille first (BC, YC, BW or Swan & Dolphin are all walkable). Be aware in general the gates are still opening earlier than stated, even though you may be held now at certain points.

Also with fireworks beginning at DHS, that would be a good time to get in line for rides like MMRR if you can forgo the fireworks show.

If you want to ride Rise of the Resistance then familiarise yourself with the procedure of getting a BG.

Upvote 0

Gran Fiesta

Original Poster
You could hop between Epcot and DHS very easily. I would make one reservation for Epcot and maybe even try and enter by the IG to get to Ratatouille first (BC, YC, BW or Swan & Dolphin are all walkable). Be aware in general the gates are still opening earlier than stated, even though you may be held now at certain points.

Also with fireworks beginning at DHS, that would be a good time to get in line for rides like MMRR if you can forgo the fireworks show.

If you want to ride Rise of the Resistance then familiarise yourself with the procedure of getting a BG.
I appreciate it! So you can hop between Epcot and HS with the skyliner right? I have heard it has had a lot of problems recently, would you still recommend it as being the faster way to get between each park?

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
I appreciate it! So you can hop between Epcot and HS with the skyliner right? I have heard it has had a lot of problems recently, would you still recommend it as being the faster way to get between each park?
I’d walk, or take the boat if one’s there. On the other hand if you want to ride the Skyliner then go for it.

Upvote 0

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Hmmm... 5 days and trying to do 'everything.' Here's my thoughts (assuming that all 5 days are FULL days).

Day 1: Magic Kingdom at opening. Seven Dwarfs then the rest of Fantasyland and then over to Frontierland/Liberty Square, then Adventureland. If you are really doing open to close, you should still have some time hit Circusland stuff. Leaving just Tomorrowland and repeating top attractions. And maybe do a couple more attractions during Happily Ever After or watch the show.

Day 2: Studios at opening and hopefully scoring Rise at 7am. MMRR first, then Tower and Rockin. Then back to Star Wars area and hit Star Tours and Muppets on the way back. Ideally you've got Rise in there and can do Millenium Falcon around the same time. Hit Midway Mania, Aliens, and then Slinky in the evening (shortest lines for Slinky tend to be almost closing time). You might have time to get a second ride on MMRR or something else in there. The night show at Studios

Day 3: Epcot - gives you a chance to sleep in one morning during the middle of the trip. Straight to either Test Track or Frozen at opening (you'll likely have to wait an hour or so for either one if you don't hit it at opening... unless you are willing to do Test Track single rider). Then do a second attraction before your first round of Food and Wine foods for lunch. Finish up the rest of Future World after lunch and then spend the whole afternoon and evening in World Showcase. Stick around for more food and wine and Epcot Forever.

Day 4: Animal Kingdom at opening. Flight of Passage and Navi and then around the park clockwise. Likely done by early evening so you can revisit Magic Kingdom or Studios for attractions and/or night show.

Day 5: Magic Kingdom at opening for Tomorrowland. Then revisit anything you've missed. Hop to any park where you still have something to get done.

Personally, I'm not an open to close person any more. I need that afternoon break most days - and if not a break back in the hotel, at least an hour sitting and chilling in a restaurant or pub - especially in August!

Upvote 0

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
The other two planners in my house offer up some more/different suggestions...

-don't open at Epcot, plan to hop to it twice: once after Magic Kingdom morning and once after Animal Kingdom (gives more time for Food and Wine)

-two mornings at Studios for more chances to get Rise o/t Resistance; also, Rockin' has been getting very long lines (often longer than MMRR) recently

-on Magic Kingdom morning #1, do Splash and Big Thunder right after Seven Dwarfs and Pan, then head back to Fantasyland to finish it out. Splash has been getting crazy lines and Big Thunder's line gets very hot mid-day.

Upvote 0

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
We have been before but it has been a while, and we just plan on doing all quick service. When we went Hollywood studios was only a 1/2 day for us as well but A LOT has changed since then. Toy story land, Star Wars land, and MMRR have all opened since then and I was wondering if I need more time there because of those things?

IMHO only Battu (Star Wars Land) would warrant any significant investment in your vacation time. Toy Storyland I'd recommend Slinky Dog Dash and Woody's Lunchbox but unless you're into ride history, I'd skip Alien Swirling Saucers (A.S.S.) as it's just a dual whip with lots of plastic fairing. The rest of the park is quite empty of shows and attractions.

Upvote 0

Gran Fiesta

Original Poster
The other two planners in my house offer up some more/different suggestions...

-don't open at Epcot, plan to hop to it twice: once after Magic Kingdom morning and once after Animal Kingdom (gives more time for Food and Wine)

-two mornings at Studios for more chances to get Rise o/t Resistance; also, Rockin' has been getting very long lines (often longer than MMRR) recently

-on Magic Kingdom morning #1, do Splash and Big Thunder right after Seven Dwarfs and Pan, then head back to Fantasyland to finish it out. Splash has been getting crazy lines and Big Thunder's line gets very hot mid-day.
I really appreciate all of the advice! This looks like a really good strategy to do the parks for the 5 days we will be there. Yeah the heat is one thing that will probably factor in how much we actually get done, we are going to try to do the indoor shows and park hop in the middle of the day when it’s the hottest to try to take a little rest to revamp ourselves for the rest of the day. I’ve been trying to look at wait times throughout the day on the app to try to plan accordingly, but I’m also hoping that in august a lot of schools have started back and it won’t be as crowded on the weekdays (our days are Tuesday-Saturday)

Upvote 0

Gran Fiesta

Original Poster
IMHO only Battu (Star Wars Land) would warrant any significant investment in your vacation time. Toy Storyland I'd recommend Slinky Dog Dash and Woody's Lunchbox but unless you're into ride history, I'd skip Alien Swirling Saucers (A.S.S.) as it's just a dual whip with lots of plastic fairing. The rest of the park is quite empty of shows and attractions.
Yeah with HS not having Indiana Jones show or fantasmic yet, it does reduce the amount of shows we would normally see. So would you suggest that Smugglers run is one thing we should try to do when we first get there or something else?

Upvote 0

yensid67

The question to ask is...
IS THERE ANYTHING AT EPCOT THAT IS A MUST? CAN IT BE DONE IN A HALF DAY?
Go to EP first and hope to MK that last day?(or another park that would be a half day!)
Yeah we really want to do *everything* but we know that is not reality with only 5 days. But it’s going to be a while until we can coordinate time off and financially afford to go back again, so we are trying to make the most of it. As I mentioned earlier there is so many new things since we last went (especially at HS)
I would PRIORITIZE what is a MUST DO attraction at each park and start from there. But I would start and end the week at MK!

Upvote 0

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Yeah with HS not having Indiana Jones show or fantasmic yet, it does reduce the amount of shows we would normally see. So would you suggest that Smugglers run is one thing we should try to do when we first get there or something else?
Smugglers Run is pretty consistent with its times of around an hour with the majority of the time in the shade or inside with AC. Its ride system has dual carousels so it moves right along. Slinky Dog Dash is the ride I'd line up for first as its wait time can be all over the place. There's no AC, just portions of the queue have overhead cover, so I'd recommend getting that out of the way while it's relatively cool and before the afternoon thunderstorms shut it down.

Don't forget the 7am and 1 PM lotteries for Rise of the Resistance!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom