News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Hawg G

Isn’t the problem more with the ride capacity than the queue? If the ride allows 1,500 people an hour to ride and the park is open for 11 hours that 16,500 possible riders but there are more than 16,500 people at DHS each day and pretty much everyone wants to ride so there aren’t enough slots for everyone. If they left the queue open longer wouldn‘t anyone who got in later just get a boarding group that will never get called? One possible solution is to limit guests to 1 boarding group a week. That would shut out locals on APs who go multiple times a week and also limit a guest visiting for a week and spending more than 1 day at DHS from riding more than once on their trip, but it would open slots for more overall people.
I wouldn't be surprised if the locals are a.BIG part of the problem.

And they don't care. A little boy bawls for an hour because he can't ride the one day he's there? Who cares, I'm hitting ride 75 today! I think s lot.of.locals, many living off their free extended unemployment, set an alarm almost daily. If they hit it, they go in for a couple hours. If they don't, they go back to sleep. There should be a hard number of not more than 10 for this year IMHO.

SoFloMagic

Isn’t the problem more with the ride capacity than the queue? If the ride allows 1,500 people an hour to ride and the park is open for 11 hours that 16,500 possible riders but there are more than 16,500 people at DHS each day and pretty much everyone wants to ride so there aren’t enough slots for everyone. If they left the queue open longer wouldn‘t anyone who got in later just get a boarding group that will never get called? One possible solution is to limit guests to 1 boarding group a week. That would shut out locals on APs who go multiple times a week and also limit a guest visiting for a week and spending more than 1 day at DHS from riding more than once on their trip, but it would open slots for more overall people.
For sure. They went slightly too complex and killed capacity.

It seems like the only way to fix it would be to build another copy (starting at the cells - another hallway out of the hangar a la soarin) behind it using what they've learned to raise capacity. 🤣🤣

rio

Is it ridiculous that the VQs are filled in less than 10 seconds? No doubt.

But here's the deal. If they didn't do them and just opened up a standby line, there would be people who would get in line at park open and not get to ride. And can you imagine the untold amount of **** Disney would get from people who paid $100+ to stand in line for 10 hours and not ride a single ride?

I'm not excusing the capacity or reliability - Disney absolutely should have built a ride with better reliability and capacity. But we are where we are, and the VQ system is the best that can be done. I absolutely understand the disappointment at not getting a BG. But at least you then get to pivot your plans and get to experience other attractions and shows instead of standing in a line for 10+ hours in 90+ heat and 90+ humidity only to do absolutely nothing for your $100+.
Then don’t build the ride. It’s a $150 lottery ticket that you can lose. I’m not a fan of gambling in general, and I certainly don’t want to do it on vacation.
Considering that Spider Man out at DCA uses the same system and they aren’t receiving the amount of complaints the system deserves, this system is probably going to become more common than most want to admit.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For sure. They went slightly too complex and killed capacity.

It seems like the only way to fix it would be to build another copy (starting at the cells - another hallway out of the hangar a la soarin) behind it using what they've learned to raise capacity. 🤣🤣
It worked for Soarin and TSMM.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wouldn't be surprised if the locals are a.BIG part of the problem.

And they don't care. A little boy bawls for an hour because he can't ride the one day he's there? Who cares, I'm hitting ride 75 today! I think s lot.of.locals, many living off their free extended unemployment, set an alarm almost daily. If they hit it, they go in for a couple hours. If they don't, they go back to sleep. There should be a hard number of not more than 10 for this year IMHO.
Disney should have stats on that and if it’s true they could/should do something about it. They limit you from getting 2 boarding groups in the same day so they could limit you from getting 2 in a week as well. I still think you have a capacity problem but if there’s enough capacity for 15,000 people a day and a number as high as 1,000 are filled with locals on their 75th ride then yeah, I’d say limit it. If the real number is 50 or 100 people a day from that group than it’s not worth changing it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Then don’t build the ride. It’s a $150 lottery ticket that you can lose. I’m not a fan of gambling in general, and I certainly don’t want to do it on vacation.
Considering that Spider Man out at DCA uses the same system and they aren’t receiving the amount of complaints the system deserves, this system is probably going to become more common than most want to admit.
If the rumors are true about what’s coming, this crazy demand plays perfectly into a system where people pay extra to guarantee a spot in a line🤑🤑🤑. I think that really sucks, but if you think it’s hard to get a spot now wait until half the people are willing to pay cash to secure their spot. If the rumors play out as suggested most rides will have a paid group and then on most days a virtual standby queue which won’t work exactly like boarding groups but will still eliminate a traditional standby line where people wait for hours.

UNCgolf

I think there are also far less people that care about riding the Spider-Man ride, especially given the middling to poor reviews.

pdude81

Complain about boarding groups all you want, but understand that standby pass would allow them for the first time to effectively kill a line before the park has closed. This is kind of the same behavior you have now as boarding groups close, but for every ride. But I just want to point out that changing the "lottery" aspect isn't going to add any capacity. At some point, when there are other new and impressive rides that open in the parks, demand will drop at RotR. But for now, and perhaps another year or two, this is the deal. I'd be afraid to move on to standby/fast pass with this ride in the foreseeable future.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Complain about boarding groups all you want, but understand that standby pass would allow them for the first time to effectively kill a line before the park has closed. This is kind of the same behavior you have now as boarding groups close, but for every ride. But I just want to point out that changing the "lottery" aspect isn't going to add any capacity. At some point, when there are other new and impressive rides that open in the parks, demand will drop at RotR. But for now, and perhaps another year or two, this is the deal. I'd be afraid to move on to standby/fast pass with this ride in the foreseeable future.
It happened with flight of passage. Maybe a combination of Tron and Guardians of the Universe of Eneegy will disperse people to other parks.

seascape

Disney should have stats on that and if it’s true they could/should do something about it. They limit you from getting 2 boarding groups in the same day so they could limit you from getting 2 in a week as well. I still think you have a capacity problem but if there’s enough capacity for 15,000 people a day and a number as high as 1,000 are filled with locals on their 75th ride then yeah, I’d say limit it. If the real number is 50 or 100 people a day from that group than it’s not worth changing it.
There should also be a way to guarantee someone staying on property for a full week with a 5 day or longer ticket gets a boarding group. There should be an advantage to forking over that much money.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There should also be a way to guarantee someone staying on property for a full week with a 5 day or longer ticket gets a boarding group. There should be an advantage to forking over that much money.
I wouldn’t be opposed to that since it would benefit me :)

Once the new paid fast pass system is in place they very well may sell a package that includes that guarantee and is exclusive to multi-day park tickets but it won’t be free with the purchase of a multi-day park ticket🤑🤑🤑

SoFloMagic

It worked for Soarin and TSMM.
I can't imagine they'd actually do it, but there's definitely space for it and it would likely solve the issue on many days if they could distribute twice the passes.

But it also opens up more questions. Can the preshows keep up with double the ride vehicles? My guess is if they called enough groups to keep the queue filled (and thus max capacity in the preshows) they could.

SoFloMagic

Imagine dumping a 90 minute queue for this ride and trying to accommodate later while still serving returning fastpasses.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
151 is the last group of the night, called around 7:05pm (4 groups more than yesterday).
With the park closing at 8PM they call the last group around 7:05. Next month when the park close goes up to 9PM will they potentially call more groups up until 8:05? If they are doing on average 150 groups in 10 hours will that add 15 more groups a day adding another hour? Do we know roughly how many people are in each group?

DCBaker

Premium Member
With the park closing at 8PM they call the last group around 7:05. Next month when the park close goes up to 9PM will they potentially call more groups up until 8:05? If they are doing on average 150 groups in 10 hours will that add 15 more groups a day adding another hour? Do we know roughly how many people are in each group?

Yes, groups should be calling for about another hour when the close moves to 9pm.

At last count from @lentesta back in late June, it was roughly 100 guests per group. It may be a little higher now just looking at the daily stats.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom