News Ohana reopening July 9th

RollerCoaster

It's as if you never witnessed a Disney crowd eating. Your experience you just wrote is what you witness in pretty much every eatery on property :joyfull:
I can't disagree with you, but the "all-you-can-eat" or as they say "all you care to eat" places really deserve the attention versus the rest. I have definitely witnessed hyenas chowing down on buffalo carcasses a few times while dining at the all-you-can gorge breakfast-fest at Animal Kingdom Lodge. However, the animals seem to be better behaved when there is a buffet they can revisit over and over versus obtaining their grub from a server. I think the fear that the server will not come around again is why people take so much at once at Ohana.

GimpYancIent

I can't disagree with you, but the "all-you-can-eat" or as they say "all you care to eat" places really deserve the attention versus the rest. I have definitely witnessed hyenas chowing down on buffalo carcasses a few times while dining at the all-you-can gorge breakfast-fest at Animal Kingdom Lodge a couple of times. However, the animals seem to be better behaved when there is a buffet they can revisit over and over versus obtaining their grub from a server. I think the fear that the server will not come around again is why people take so much at once at Ohana.
Whew, you make it sound as if the servers are in fear of being devoured along with the food.

Parker in NYC

I can't disagree with you, but the "all-you-can-eat" or as they say "all you care to eat" places really deserve the attention versus the rest. I have definitely witnessed hyenas chowing down on buffalo carcasses a few times while dining at the all-you-can gorge breakfast-fest at Animal Kingdom Lodge. However, the animals seem to be better behaved when there is a buffet they can revisit over and over versus obtaining their grub from a server. I think the fear that the server will not come around again is why people take so much at once at Ohana.
I have never seen any behavior like that at Boma. Lucky me.

Wendy Pleakley

Reminds me of the post-dinner buffet they serve on Pirates night on DCL. How do people eat so much food when they literally had dinner an hour or two ago?

The buffets at WDW are so pricey I can understand why people pig out. It's a waste of money if you don't. Personally, if I do a buffet I try and do a late lunch and combine lunch/dinner. I can eat a bit more than average without overdoing it too much.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Ate dinner there last night. Noodles, salad, dumplings, and wings were all delicious and exactly as I remembered. I liked the scones more than the old bread.

Unfortunately, the other meats were just meh. The baked chicken was just that- baked chicken I could have made at home with some kind of sauce on it. The kielbasa was tasty enough, but didn’t fit the theme and seemed to be identical to what you get at Whispering Canyon across the lake. The steak was chewy and not flavorful.

The shrimp casserole they are serving now appears to have ditched the breadcrumbs entirely. No idea if that’s permanent or if they just ran out. It’s now in a cheese/butter sauce. I took a picture of it to show everyone, because it looks nothing like their photos:
BBE9796E-3648-40CE-95A6-97BA336B0025.jpeg

Joesixtoe

Ate dinner there last night. Noodles, salad, dumplings, and wings were all delicious and exactly as I remembered. I liked the scones more than the old bread.

Unfortunately, the other meats were just meh. The baked chicken was just that- baked chicken I could have made at home with some kind of sauce on it. The kielbasa was tasty enough, but didn’t fit the theme and seemed to be identical to what you get at Whispering Canyon across the lake. The steak was chewy and not flavorful.

The shrimp casserole they are serving now appears to have ditched the breadcrumbs entirely. No idea if that’s permanent or if they just ran out. It’s now in a cheese/butter sauce. I took a picture of it to show everyone, because it looks nothing like their photos:
View attachment 574156
I would ask them to cook the meat medium rare. The steak when I dipped in the sauce it came with I thought was really good. The chicken again I thought was very tender and tasted great with the sauce. Chicken wings were a bit tough, sausage was sausage, shrimp was decent, and the bread was awesome. Everything else was as good as it used to be I thought. Just my take.

skypilot2922

View attachment 574156

That looks nasty.

Wendy Pleakley

I guess I can say that shrimp in cheese isn't as cheap as shrimp in bread crumbs?

I've had similar Mexican dishes, meat or shrimp in cheese served with tortillas for wrapping. However, in those dishes the cheese is seasoned and such, so it's a decent dish. This looks incredibly laze.

The dish pictured above is just so rich and greasy, I can't fathom it being served at one of their signature restaurants.

TrojanUSC

View attachment 574156

I just don't get it. They have a wonderful wood-fired grill that has been the centerpiece of the restaurant for 25+ years. Why are they serving baked chicken and kielbasa? The chicken is the same slimy stuff you can get at any of the family style restaurants now (Cape May, Trails End, Whispering Canyon, etc). They had a sausage on the menu years ago, but at least it was grilled and in addition to the other meats.

aladdin2007

I just don't get it. They have a wonderful wood-fired grill that has been the centerpiece of the restaurant for 25+ years. Why are they serving baked chicken and kielbasa? The chicken is the same slimy stuff you can get at any of the family style restaurants now (Cape May, Trails End, Whispering Canyon, etc). They had a sausage on the menu years ago, but at least it was grilled and in addition to the other meats.

They are now buying the same generic products property wide and sticking them in all the restaurants and menus. Disney has hit rock bottom as far I'm concerned. They will now use the pandemic as an excuse for every change like this and as long as people keep buying into it its going to work. But that horrid shrimp casserole might be a tipping point as far as ohana anyway, a friend said its been nothing but negative remarks. Lets hope there are changes. You can only fool the public so much Disney and word is out...so get on the ball and your heads out of the dirt...uggg.

Zummi Gummi

They are now buying the same generic products property wide and sticking them in all the restaurants and menus. Disney has hit rock bottom as far I'm concerned. They will now use the pandemic as an excuse for every change like this and as long as people keep buying into it its going to work. But that horrid shrimp casserole might be a tipping point as far as ohana anyway, a friend said its been nothing but negative remarks. Lets hope there are changes. You can only fool the public so much Disney and word is out...so get on the ball and your heads out of the dirt...uggg.
I got a survey after the meal (via email) and made sure to indicate the quality of the food had fallen, and that I would not be returning for a bit until they made some improvements.

Preemiemama

Yep. We were there a week ago. That shrimp casserole is basically mac and cheese with shrimp instead of macaroni. Not worth the $55 per person it costs right now. Plus the waiters/waitresses seem even more stressed than usual- too many tables per server and not enough time to help them all. We were nice to our server- she was sweet but she was running all over the place! I felt bad for her!

Zummi Gummi

Yep. We were there a week ago. That shrimp casserole is basically mac and cheese with shrimp instead of macaroni. Not worth the $55 per person it costs right now. Plus the waiters/waitresses seem even more stressed than usual- too many tables per server and not enough time to help them all. We were nice to our server- she was sweet but she was running all over the place! I felt bad for her!
I noticed the same thing with Cousin Debbie, our server. And they must be REALLY understaffed, because half the tables were deliberately kept empty! Imagine what it would have been like if they had booked the whole restaurant!

Preemiemama

I noticed the same thing with Cousin Debbie, our server. And they must be REALLY understaffed, because half the tables were deliberately kept empty! Imagine what it would have been like if they had booked the whole restaurant!
I know! They are typically running around some, but this was beyond normal. We literally had to catch her as she raced by to get drink or food refills. I can't imagine what would have happened if the restaurant were full! I just felt really and for her- she was trying but just could not keep up!

skypilot2922

Its all about the Benjamins, to use that grille they need a chef and sous chefs who know what they are doing and they expect to be paid for that knowledge.

With current menu it can be prepared cheaply in bulk, flash frozen and reheated in boiling water by anyone with a pulse who can set and respond to a timer…

skypilot2922

I guess I can say that shrimp in cheese isn't as cheap as shrimp in bread crumbs?

I've had similar Mexican dishes, meat or shrimp in cheese served with tortillas for wrapping. However, in those dishes the cheese is seasoned and such, so it's a decent dish. This looks incredibly laze.

The dish pictured above is just so rich and greasy, I can't fathom it being served at one of their signature restaurants.
I’d stick with greasy, Rich does not fit this dish

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom