Jungle Cruise Update

Sharon&Susan

Beg everyone's pardon here, but I can't seem to find what the surprise that they were saving for the sixteenth was. What did I miss?
Just these monkeys fighting over Christmas decorations and some stuff in the queue.
1626726999965.png

D.Silentu

I am baffled how fans are applauding the attraction changes and are going to see the movie which has scenes that reference the natives the attraction had.
In the trailer it appears the natives are getting paid to put on an act for the tourists. Whether the native's complicity in reinforcing such a stereotype is a positive thing or not remains up to the viewer.

Last edited:

VJ

"Behind The Attraction" just arrived today on Disney+ and dropped the first 5 episodes. With Jungle Cruise being the first episode.
i think the series is part of the marketing budget for the movie considering the rock is an executive producer

WEDfan9798

But its stupid. for the 60 plus years the ride has operated we never needed it. The Hippos were always enough. Now the stupid boat and crates detract from this classic scene for no reason. They said they were only going to replace the problematic black people on the ride with monkeys (how is that in itself not problematic?) not alter other scenes. Why change the hippo scene?? how does this make the ride more "INCLUSIVE"???? It doesn't. It's Kim Irvine going " there should be a boat the hippos attacked there. I am going to add one" missing the point of the scene that has been there for OVER 60 YEARS.
Kim Irvine has a bunch of ideas that end up having worse results than expected sadly

WEDfan9798

If a change to a beloved attraction is 'lateral', that means it's a step back.

That the new Fantasmic, with 20 years of new technology and progress in show design could be considered a 'lateral' move and not a bona fide improvement really demonstrates how far Disney Creative has fallen.

But to the larger point- if Disney is going to say an existing scene or attraction is negative and problematic, they need to make dang sure what they're replacing it with is the best they've done. The new Auction scene doesn't do that. Pixar Pier didn't do that. Time will tell if the Jungle Cruise changes did that- but so far it looks like they recycled the 'chimps overran the camp' gag already present in the attraction, just this time with a boat.
Exactly. We need perfection, not cheap replacements.

180º

Wasn’t the Ganesha statue an authentic item rather than a fabricated prop, or was that just an urban legend? Either way, I wonder what happened to it.

Speaking of Indian religious symbols, they should bring back the Swastika on the plane in the Indiana Jones stunt show.
View attachment 574387
“Bring back the swastika” is quite a leap from “Speaking of Indian religious symbols.” 🙄

Rich Brownn

All this kvetching about the changes is kind of ironic, since many people were upset with the changes in the 1960s adding humor to what was supposed to be a realistic ride. What goes around.....

mickEblu

Just watched the first episode of Behind the Attraction today. Love all the old footage. I’ve seen most of it but imagine it’s the first time seeing a lot of that for many non die hards.

Honestly made me remember how much better of a finale Trader Sam is to the dumb new lost and found. It was one of those signature funny/ macabre Disney things that still Managed to be suitable entertainment for the whole family. It’s one of those things that you kind of take for granted when it’s there and only realize how important it was after it (and all skulls, natives etc) are gone and your left with much more of one dimensional ride. Does it vastly change the core experience? No. But Disneyland is all about the small things. Those wonderful things that we may not even notice but only feel on a subconscious level. And for me this “new” Jungle Cruise is just another example of declining by degrees. Of course Jungle Cruise will always be great for me as long as the Jungle and the elephant bathing pool are still there.

Anyway, all they had to do was put a mask on him and problem solved. But the ridiculous inclusion committee wrecking crew decided he and all the skulls in Adventureland had to go. Seriously , the hanging man in HM is toast unless this country makes a hard right.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Also did this episode not get a mastering session? What is that obnoxious brain rattling sound that comes through when they re trying to elicit an emotional response during the “dramatic” parts? It’s hard to Hear what anyone is saying. Is it just my TV?

britain

Wasn’t the Ganesha statue an authentic item rather than a fabricated prop, or was that just an urban legend? Either way, I wonder what happened to it.

“Bring back the swastika” is quite a leap from “Speaking of Indian religious symbols.” 🙄
Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but the swastika does have Hindu roots.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom