Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

ppete1975

When it takes close to a year to complete a margarita Kiosk in front of the Mexico pavilion, I can't imagine this being anywhere near close to opening in 5 months considering they are still pushing dirt around...
or 6 years to build an entirely enclosed roller coaster......

pdude81

or 6 years to build an entirely enclosed roller coaster......
9ac476de26acc1acee1ec4be52aadb7d.jpg

When it takes close to a year to complete a margarita Kiosk in front of the Mexico pavilion, I can't imagine this being anywhere near close to opening in 5 months considering they are still pushing dirt around...

Yeah unless there’s an enormous fire or multiple fires placed under the right butt(s) I’m not laying any money on that timeframe even at 10000000 to 1. I could be wrong but I know of no precedent for such a thing (and please correct me if there is). Moreover even if this was indeed the case I can’t see the value in prioritizing this of all things.

Getting the center of EPCOT to not be a massive dirt pile might be a motivator. 🤷‍♂️
I wish I shared the same optimism management actually cared about that. To a lesser degree I’m sure they do, but there was no possible way given the original plans early 2022 was in the cards to begin with. It might be pessimist as hell but I don’t think management in current form cares outside of seeing it as a sink cost with little immediate impactful ROI to begin with.

Bocabear

There will realistically be no ROI... No one will go to EPCOT specifically to walk through the Moana out-of-place Journey Of Water...Or to visit the Journey of Vacant Land that will complete the park hub. People will come for the new attractions...The other additions are vague at best... Dreamers Point...No idea what that is except a statue of Walt and a fountain and a very vague "Wishing Tree" whatever that is... No Festival Center... Just a lot of vacant land... None of this sounds inspiring or like a fresh new change...

pdude81

There will realistically be no ROI... No one will go to EPCOT specifically to walk through the Moana out-of-place Journey Of Water...Or to visit the Journey of Vacant Land that will complete the park hub. People will come for the new attractions...The other additions are vague at best... Dreamers Point...No idea what that is except a statue of Walt and a fountain and a very vague "Wishing Tree" whatever that is... No Festival Center... Just a lot of vacant land... None of this sounds inspiring or like a fresh new change...
True, but I don't think people were specifically going for the character spot either, and the other stuff that was hidden in those buildings. Nobody visits MK for the hub, but it needs to look decent as you navigate the area.

I call this "Placeholder of Water" as I think it's kind of opening up passageways and future expansion opportunities for other renovations. But honestly the project is so confusing that I'm in "wait and see" mode to figure out exactly what it's purpose is.

ppete1975

Does Disney actually care all that much about Epcot's 40th? I know it matters to us as fans, but in marketing land won't they want to have the focus clearly on the 50th celebration and therefore try and get away with fairly minimal fan service for Epcot's 40th?
Sure they do, its an advertising thing. Think of the merch!! In realiity the front might be done, moana, guardians, space 220, rat and the new show in time for the 40th.

Sir_Cliff

Sure they do, its an advertising thing. Think of the merch!! In realiity the front might be done, moana, guardians, space 220, rat and the new show in time for the 40th.
Oh, I have no doubt at all they will aggressively merchandise it! I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the commemorations are aimed almost exclusively toward the fans while the wider world is still just being told to come celebrate WDW's 50th Anniversary. If that's true, the anniversary may not play much of a role in their considerations regarding construction timelines.

Last edited:

Bocabear

True, but I don't think people were specifically going for the character spot either, and the other stuff that was hidden in those buildings. Nobody visits MK for the hub, but it needs to look decent as you navigate the area.

I call this "Placeholder of Water" as I think it's kind of opening up passageways and future expansion opportunities for other renovations. But honestly the project is so confusing that I'm in "wait and see" mode to figure out exactly what it's purpose is.
They weren't going for the character spot or what was languishing in those buildings... They DID need to add new attractions and things into the existing buildings, but didn't need to actually tear them down... And frankly, the Character Spot was what was hidden in the buildings was 1000% more engaging than a vacant even lawn. I don't understand how a vast empty space is preferable to having the mega Starbucks, Club Cool and some running exhibits that reeded refreshing... It would have been MUCH cheaper to have added a new key attraction into the massive Innoventions space and cleared the center between the buildings for the new "Dreamers Point" or whatever they are calling it this week.. They could have moved Club Cool to the other side and taken that space and put a second story party roof deck on top ... Many things could have been done...

bshah365

wait so you drew a diagram on a map as your proof that Journey Of Water will terminate with a "Choose Your Path" orientation? I could take a map and draw arrows on it showing it leading to the creations shop, but that doesn't make it true....
It's not "proof"... it's an example/guess. What it replaced was a walkway to the two pavilions so I would assume it have the same function. But I like your idea better anyways;)

Sir_Cliff

DOES it though?? I think I see a tumbleweed next to that ladder.
Yes... I mean, sure, the pandemic slowed things down, but it looks like they've done next to nothing. People are paying full price to get into that park with a big chunk of it currently demolished, and Disney seems in no hurry to open any of it up. Even things like the shop and quick service restaurant that should generate revenue seem to have just been crawling along all year.

This gets me more than the decision to delay opening Ratatouille, which is at least a new addition located about as far out of the way of guests as it could be. In this case, they demolished the center of the park and have guests navigating walls around giant construction zones and seem happy to just leave it like that for as long as possible to save money.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom