Universal Studios Florida desperately needs new BGM

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Universal Studios Florida has terrible background music loops, aside from the main entrance and Diagon Alley. Most of them are the exact same loops from 1990, and they weren't great to begin with. For instance, New York has a collection of pop songs, TV themes, and movie themes that vaguely fit the theme, but so much of it is cliche' or outdated. The Godfather theme. That's Amore'. Some 1960's pop hits. The freakin' ODD COUPLE theme, a show no one born after 2000 has ever heard of.

Then you have San Francisco, where it's a collection of 1970's rock formerly used for Jaws, but then for some reason U2 and Santana and a few other random selections are in there. Random classic songs with no theme just screams "regional theme park".

Or the Men in Black area, where the loop is late 90's/2000's hits for no reason. They weren't even in the film! Fun fact - Men in Black was intended to have 1960's World's Fair appropriate music as the BGM.

Rip Ride Rockit - well, all of it and not just the BGM - hits that they never updated from the 00's. Who doesn't cringe at Limp Bizkit - Rollin'?

The Simpsons area is just whatever ending credit themes they could scrounge together. It feels very low effort.

And to be honest, I don't even like the Potter BGM. It's also low effort - they just used the scores from the movies, but it means you hear the main themes playing over and over. It's too in your face and commands you to remember the films rather than actually feel like you're in the actual world of Potter.

It all needs an overhaul. Proper BGM should be carefully selected to enhance the mood of the area by being thematically appropriate - not a reference to something thematically appropriate.. "Hey, that TV show/movie took place in New York" is not atmospheric, it's just a reference. A BGM refresh can also make a park feel fresh and new again. For instance, the recent overhaul of DHS's area music loops helps give the park a new, modern, classy feel while still being thematically appropriate.

IOA's BGM is fine!

JT3000

Universal Studios Florida has terrible background music loops, aside from the main entrance and Diagon Alley. Most of them are the exact same loops from 1990, and they weren't great to begin with. For instance, New York has a collection of pop songs, TV themes, and movie themes that vaguely fit the theme, but so much of it is cliche' or outdated. The Godfather theme. That's Amore'. Some 1960's pop hits. The freakin' ODD COUPLE theme, a show no one born after 2000 has ever heard of.

Then you have San Francisco, where it's a collection of 1970's rock formerly used for Jaws, but then for some reason U2 and Santana and a few other random selections are in there. Random classic songs with no theme just screams "regional theme park".

Or the Men in Black area, where the loop is late 90's/2000's hits for no reason. They weren't even in the film! Fun fact - Men in Black was intended to have 1960's World's Fair appropriate music as the BGM.

Rip Ride Rockit - well, all of it and not just the BGM - hits that they never updated from the 00's. Who doesn't cringe at Limp Bizkit - Rollin'?

The Simpsons area is just whatever ending credit themes they could scrounge together. It feels very low effort.

And to be honest, I don't even like the Potter BGM. It's also low effort - they just used the scores from the movies, but it means you hear the main themes playing over and over. It's too in your face and commands you to remember the films rather than actually feel like you're in the actual world of Potter.

It all needs an overhaul. Proper BGM should be carefully selected to enhance the mood of the area by being thematically appropriate - not a reference to something thematically appropriate.. "Hey, that TV show/movie took place in New York" is not atmospheric, it's just a reference. A BGM refresh can also make a park feel fresh and new again. For instance, the recent overhaul of DHS's area music loops helps give the park a new, modern, classy feel while still being thematically appropriate.

IOA's BGM is fine!

NY's music SHOULD be outdated. There's a few inconsistencies here and there, but it's supposed to evoke classic NY, not modern NY.
Same reason you hear older, cliche music in Hollywood. They would be improving the loop by cutting out all the newer songs. It would be nice to have unique music made especially for the park, like IOA, but I don't think having pop songs is that big of a sin considering these areas are representations of real world cities. They're trying to evoke a certain place and time, they just don't always do the best job of it.

MIB should stick to the movie soundtrack.

Rockit should have updated its playlist a long time ago. I'm starting to wonder how long they'll wait.

I don't see a problem with Potter or Simpsons using their respective scores. They could probably make their loops longer, but evoking the source material is exactly what they want. I'm not sure what else you'd hear in the Wizarding World anyway.

celluloid

IOA's BGM is fine!

I love it. Unlike Disney, it provides an inexpensive way to provide references to works besides anything after The Little Mermaid that WDW seems to mainly provide.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
NY's music SHOULD be outdated. There's a few inconsistencies here and there, but it's supposed to evoke classic NY, not modern NY.
Same reason you hear older, cliche music in Hollywood. They would be improving the loop by cutting out all the newer songs. It would be nice to have unique music made especially for the park, like IOA, but I don't think having pop songs is that big of a sin considering these areas are representations of real world cities. They're trying to evoke a certain place and time, they just don't always do the best job of it.

MIB should stick to the movie soundtrack.

Rockit should have updated its playlist a long time ago. I'm starting to wonder how long they'll wait.

I don't see a problem with Potter or Simpsons using their respective scores. They could probably make their loops longer, but evoking the source material is exactly what they want. I'm not sure what else you'd hear in the Wizarding World anyway.

I agree that it should evoke classic NY, but 70's TV sitcom themes that took place in NY don't really evoke this. Hollywood's loop is a bit better. I think at the very least, both deserve a look into a refresh, maybe replace some of the tracks.

Agreed about MIB and Rockit.

I suppose there's not much else they could do for Simpsons and Potter aside from doing an all original score, I just wish we didn't hear the handful of most recognizable themes from the films repeated so often.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
I love it. Unlike Disney, it provides an inexpensive way to provide references to works besides anything after The Little Mermaid that WDW seems to mainly provide.

They're not referencing Universal works though, just, in New York's case, movies and TV shows that took place in New York. "Friends" takes place in New York, but does "I'll Be There For You" evoke New York? They don't use that, just an example.

One of the worst offenders is "Higher and Higher" from the Ghostbusters soundtrack. Pure 80's, zero New York vibe, but it was used in Ghostbusters 2 which takes place in New York.

Ok, yes there originally was a Ghostbusters attraction there, but, this is an example of something that should have been omitted or replaced ages ago.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Hey, while we're here, does anyone know what artist did "The In Crowd" song in used New York? It's not any of the famous versions.

celluloid

They're not referencing Universal works though, just, in New York's case, movies and TV shows that took place in New York. "Friends" takes place in New York, but does "I'll Be There For You" evoke New York? They don't use that, just an example.

One of the worst offenders is "Higher and Higher" from the Ghostbusters soundtrack. Pure 80's, zero New York vibe, but it was used in Ghostbusters 2 which takes place in New York.

Ok, yes there originally was a Ghostbusters attraction there, but, this is an example of something that should have been omitted or replaced ages ago.

You are arguing with yourself. The park has always referenced works beyond just Universal's catalogue since opening day having a partnership with other studios for more films and television referenced. The songs you hear in the NY area all evoke sounds from movies and television/show business that take place in the big city setting of fiction. From Broadway, television and film/popular culture itself.

For your worst offender, Nah, that one you referenced is one of my favorites. Ghostbusters 2 gave that song a huge revival and is great that it can still be referenced. You are clearly in the minority in your own thread. It compliments the NY Public Library Facade and the Spook Central Background as well as being one of the most famous movies to feature much of the New York City we all hope to visit but never will. It was never designed to be a real New York City.
Music is a great way to expand things beyond its own.

Last edited:

Coolbert

1626629037204.png

I kinda like the BGM of Studios. I will agree, though, that a few are in dire need of an update, specifically World Expo, both Kidzone loops, and Central Park (currently plays DreamWorks pop garbage just like The Lost City area did until recently).

Also, gonna pour one out for the Amity loop if current rumors are to be believed.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
You are arguing with yourself. The park has always referenced works beyond just Universal's catalogue since opening day having a partnership with other studios for more films and television referenced. The songs you hear in the NY area all evoke sounds from movies and television/show business that take place in the big city setting of fiction. From Broadway, television and film/popular culture itself.

For your worst offender, Nah, that one you referenced is one of my favorites. Ghostbusters 2 gave that song a huge revival and is great that it can still be referenced. You are clearly in the minority in your own thread. It compliments the NY Public Library Facade and the Spook Central Background as well as being one of the most famous movies to feature much of the New York City we all hope to visit but never will. It was never designed to be a real New York City.
Music is a great way to expand things beyond its own.

Either explain how The Odd Couple theme evokes “New York City vibes” or stop replying.

I’m not arguing with myself, you’re avoiding my argument. Referencing a piece of media that took place in New York is not the same as music that actually evokes the vibe of New York. If someone has never seen The Odd Couple or Ghostbusters 2, then they do not evoke any vibe and just seem like random odd song choices.

Last edited:

celluloid

Why would they be interested in evoking a real New York City over a piece of media that takes place in a romanticized New
York? it is a movie studio theme park. The Odd Couple was a Broadway Play, movie and television show all take place in New York City. Much of the type of buildings you see in the park are the old 60s New York Façade style It fits in the same way I don't mind seeing a fictional Orphanage from Annie or the Pet Store from Rocky rather than seeing a real place referenced on all of the facades. You can have an opinion that it is outdated, but those are facts of what and why it is there.

The same way no one in Walt Disney's childhood was singing about the Wells Fargo Wagon coming down the street like the Music Man Soundtrack evokes, but that song and others have played in Mainstreet USA.

Somehow your point has changed to you want a movie studio park to evoke a non pop culture New York City vibe over movies and media that take place in the backlot like New York City you are walking through?

Why?

Now you are poorly arguing with yourself.

When you don't like someone points, you ask them to stop replying?

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Why would they be interested in evoking a real New York City over a piece of media that takes place in a romanticized New
York? it is a movie studio theme park. The Odd Couple was a Broadway Play, movie and television show all take place in New York City. Much of the type of buildings you see in the park are the old 60s New York Façade style It fits in the same way I don't mind seeing a fictional Orphanage from Annie or the Pet Store from Rocky rather than seeing a real place referenced on all of the facades. You can have an opinion that it is outdated, but those are facts of what and why it is there.

The same way no one in Walt Disney's childhood was singing about the Wells Fargo Wagon coming down the street like the Music Man Soundtrack evokes, but that song and others have played in Mainstreet USA.

Somehow your point has changed to you want a movie studio park to evoke a non pop culture New York City vibe over movies and media that take place in the backlot like New York City you are walking through?

Why?

Now you are poorly arguing with yourself.

When you don't like someone points, you ask them to stop replying?

Well, ok. Fair, if they want it to be seen as a movie set. But they also kind of don’t. It’s a movie set, but also you’re really in New York. But it’s a movie set 😉.

At the very least I think it deserves an examination because hearing The Odd Couple theme and a few others are just horribly dated IMO. I don’t think suggesting that 31 year old music loops should be refreshed is such an extreme take that it gets opposition, TBH.

champdisney

Interesting topic. I tend to agree that a lot of the background music loops have grown tiresome and it would be nice to switch it up to something new. It's actually surprising to me that these loops remained the same after all these years considering that Comcast purchased Universal and NBC before that.

You would think they would. Especially, in the case of Comcast, who has had its hand in tweaking little aspects of the park here and there. I suppose the background music loops was something that they easily overlooked or perhaps Comcast digs it enough to keep it.

I lost count on the amount of times I have heard "Drops of Jupiter" by Train and Lenny Kravitz's "Fly Away" in the San Francisco area, or Nelly's "Ride Wit Me" hit from the early 2000s along with the other hip-hop tunes outside of MIB. Those are songs I typically enjoy but hearing them every time at Universal? You know... you start wanting something different.

It would be nice if Universal composed it's own background music for USF besides solely relying on musical scores and hit songs from movie soundtracks. There seems to be some on this thread that do not care about this which is alright with me. I just think Universal could've gone a little more creative with their choices of music loops.

At the Magic Kingdom, my favorite loops of all time is the one heard in Tomorrowland. It mixes in some original scores while inserting some familiar tunes heard in the films. While the music pulled from these films do not have the exact same sound from the movies, just by hearing it you know where that melody comes from. Pull this loop up on YouTube and listen in to when it begins to play "You've Got a Friend In Me". Still the same song, just played with electronics to capture the futuristic sense of Tomorrowland.

What I'm saying is, this is something that could've been or could be done with areas in USF. Wizarding World can have its score taken from the films but they technically could mix that in with some orchestral scores crafted specifically for USF. Same goes for The Simpsons and throughout the rest of the park.

Bairstow

Not only does Universal need new loops, they need longer loops. Like, a lot longer.

I'm pretty sure neither the Camp Jurassic nor Port of Entry loops break 20 minutes.
My heart goes out to the poor team members that have to listen to that.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Not only does Universal need new loops, they need longer loops. Like, a lot longer.

I'm pretty sure neither the Camp Jurassic nor Port of Entry loops break 20 minutes.
My heart goes out to the poor team members that have to listen to that.

Yeah you're right. I believe most of the IOA loops are 20 minutes or less. Or some might be longer, but are just variations on the same melodies, like Port of Entry. While I love them for being mostly original, especially the "music box" themes of Port of Entry, it definitely gets repetitive fast.

macefamily

As a spinoff of your subject, how about the Christmas music loop for the holidays ? Every time I hear "All I Want for Christmas" by Mariah Carey I would immediately think of Universal Studios. There were holiday trips where I couldn't get that damn song out of my head because I'd hear it 10 times a day ! Then one year went down I warned the family about that song, and they didn't play it once. I was wondering if there were some royalty issues going on.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
That's another good point. When they do the holiday music or the Mardi Gras music, they play it EVERYWHERE, and it's too monotonous.

champdisney

As a spinoff of your subject, how about the Christmas music loop for the holidays ? Every time I hear "All I Want for Christmas" by Mariah Carey I would immediately think of Universal Studios. There were holiday trips where I couldn't get that damn song out of my head because I'd hear it 10 times a day ! Then one year went down I warned the family about that song, and they didn't play it once. I was wondering if there were some royalty issues going on.
That's another good point. When they do the holiday music or the Mardi Gras music, they play it EVERYWHERE, and it's too monotonous.
My problem with the Christmas BGM is that a lot of the tracks Universal plays on its loop list for the Holiday Season are the exact same tracks that Disney has on theirs! I get that there are probably only a dozen or two Christmas songs in existence but you can at least give me a different artist signing it.

On a stranger note, on my last visit to Universal for Madri Gras (April 30th)... Universal was blasting Christmas tunes in the parking garage! It was an all day affair too as I heard it entering into CityWalk and exiting many hours later. I wonder what the reasoning behind that was.

Anyone else ever experienced something like this in the past?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom