Best ride?

• Doctor Doom's Fearfall

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Incredible Hulk Coaster

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Frankenstein79

Whose voting for Storm's teacups?

Spiderman and the Hulk are the only good rides in this section. The other two are off the shelf (they should have put it back) rides.

Frankenstein79

Spiderman looks even better than it did when it first opened. It's so clear and the effects (water and fire) are amazing. It's so much better than the lame Disney version in DCA.

jonnyc

I usually skip Dr Doom's Fearfall, then every few years I'll think - "it can't have been that underwhelming, I must have remembered it wrong" and give it another go.

And every time I get off the ride, I realise that I was right all along.

lebeau

Whose voting for Storm's teacups?

Spiderman and the Hulk are the only good rides in this section. The other two are off the shelf (they should have put it back) rides.

I'll go to bat for the off-the-shelf rides. I'd rather have four top-tier originals, but Dr Doom and Storm serve the purpose of filling out the land and the park. We've ridden the X-Men tea cups way more than we have The Hulk.

JT3000

I'll go to bat for the off-the-shelf rides. I'd rather have four top-tier originals, but Dr Doom and Storm serve the purpose of filling out the land and the park. We've ridden the X-Men tea cups way more than we have The Hulk.
The thing that bothers me about Fear Fall is that there was originally enough space there and behind it to build something larger & better, rather than settling for an off-the-shelf ride. Then they just built the storage shed that got used for HHN a couple of times behind it & now it's too late to expand on anything in Marvel.

lebeau

The thing that bothers me about Fear Fall is that there was originally enough space there and behind it to build something larger & better, rather than settling for an off-the-shelf ride. Then they just built the storage shed that got used for HHN a couple of times behind it & now it's too late to expand on anything in Marvel.
I'm no expert but I have heard it is still possible to expand. Although they didn't build it there were plans for an Iron Man ride not that long ago.

Could they have put in something better than Fear Fall? Absolutely. But I don't hate it.

JT3000

Disney doesn't have a time machine. They can't go back and stop Marvel from licensing those characters to Universal.
So what do you think stopped them from adding the Iron Man ride they had designed? Or literally anything besides Hulk's rebuild? I'm open to suggestions, but I think it's pretty obvious why the land has been frozen in time.

lebeau

So what do you think stopped them from adding the Iron Man ride they had designed? Or literally anything besides Hulk's rebuild? I'm open to suggestions, but I think it's pretty obvious why the land has been frozen in time.

It's actually very simple. Universal had more pressing priorities. The Marvel land more or less works as intended. It needed updates, but other lands needed new attractions more than Marvel Superhero Island did. And let's not forget, Universal was also expanding its hotels, building a water park and planning a third park. They figured they could get better ROI on other projects.

For your theory to be correct, Universal would have to be stupid enough to plan an attraction they didn't have the legal right to build. That seems unlikely, doesn't it? Not to mention the contract has been available online for ages. I've read it. There is no provision that would allow Disney to prevent Universal from expanding the land. If Disney attempted to do so, it would go to arbitration and there's no way they would win that.

The only power Marvel/Disney had was to prevent Universal from misrepresenting their characters. So they couldn't make a ride that showed Captain America as an agent of Hydra... or no, wait. I guess they could. Well, they can't make a ride in which Gwen Stacey is Deadpool... errr.. umm.. They couldn't portray the Punisher as a supernatural avenging angel? Ummm.... Okay, actually Universal has a lot of leeway.

Frankenstein79

Yeah, I agree.

It is better to have 4 attractions (2 solid ones, 2 shelf ones) than just 2 attractions (2 solid ones). Storm is not my cup of tea, but I'm sure it's a lot of others.

For example if Toy Story Land had Paratroopers and the R.C. ride. It would be an even better land than it is.

Bairstow

It's actually very simple. Universal had more pressing priorities. The Marvel land more or less works as intended. It needed updates, but other lands needed new attractions more than Marvel Superhero Island did. And let's not forget, Universal was also expanding its hotels, building a water park and planning a third park. They figured they could get better ROI on other projects.

For your theory to be correct, Universal would have to be stupid enough to plan an attraction they didn't have the legal right to build. That seems unlikely, doesn't it? Not to mention the contract has been available online for ages. I've read it. There is no provision that would allow Disney to prevent Universal from expanding the land. If Disney attempted to do so, it would go to arbitration and there's no way they would win that.

The only power Marvel/Disney had was to prevent Universal from misrepresenting their characters. So they couldn't make a ride that showed Captain America as an agent of Hydra... or no, wait. I guess they could. Well, they can't make a ride in which Gwen Stacey is Deadpool... errr.. umm.. They couldn't portray the Punisher as a supernatural avenging angel? Ummm.... Okay, actually Universal has a lot of leeway.
I would add to that,

1.) Anything Marvel that Universal could build would necessarily look and sound very different from the "Marvel" most of the general public likes and expects. They own the rights to the characters generally, but not to the derivative works created since the agreement. An Avengers-themed ride that can't use the likenesses of any of the actors or music that people associate with the brand might annoy Disney, but it would also come across as weird and second-rate to park guests.

...unless it was really, really well-designed.

2.) Investments by Comcast/Universal in Marvel would to a certain degree be negative corporate synergy, as they would be promoting their competitor's movies and products instead of their own. It's far more profitable for Universal as a whole to encourage kids to buy Velociraptor action figures than Spider-Man ones, nectar because doing the latter is putting pennies into Disney's pocket.

That being said, I'm sure there's a way Universal Creative and their contractors could put together a really engaging attraction based on non-MCU versions of the Marvel characters (the X-Men, being a semi-dead property right now might be a safer route) but whether this would yield as many dividends for the company as investments in their own IP is a bigger consideration.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom