Peak Summer = Walls!?

Mickeyboof

Original Poster
I’m actually livid that during the peak of summer, with ticket prices as they are, that Disneyland is wall city again.

WHY was this work not done during the park closure?

Cars Land, the Lagoon and now this monstrosity in New Orleans Square has me rethinking my five day park hopper next week. A day or two at knotts and universal sounds much more appealing. Awful showmanship.

57DAF2EE-70F1-44F5-A94E-1F3065832175.jpeg

A1902106-5EF3-4599-AF12-14E537212F43.jpeg

SplashGhost

I was there on Saturday and the parks are a total mess right now. Outside of this construction going on, they can't even get all the quick service restaurants open, and most of the restaurants that are open require you to deal with mobile order, and you can't always get a time to pick up food right away. I know this is because of staffing issues, but it is a lesser experience that is being offered right now.

Even worse are the crowds and the early closures. Closing at 10 means everyone leaves at the same time, and what is worse is that it doesn't give you that peaceful 10PM-12AM time where the lines are much shorter. I have been to Disneyland on many crowded days, but Saturday was one of the busiest days that I have ever been there. The only thing that made it quasi manageable was the lack of Fastpass making standby waits longer and causing even more people to be in the walkways. Knott's is also insanely crowded though, and as crowded as DLR is right now, the lines won't be as bad at DLR as they are at Knott's.

SoCalDisneyLover

Knott's is also insanely crowded though, and as crowded as DLR is right now, the lines won't be as bad at DLR as they are at Knott's.
I don't feel the need to do everything at Knott's in 1 day when I go right now. I know I'll be able to go when it gets slow in September, October & November with my Annual Pass, and the lines won't be as bad.

SplashGhost

I don't feel the need to do everything at Knott's in 1 day when I go right now. I know I'll be able to go when it gets slow in September, October & November with my Annual Pass, and the lines won't be as bad.

I would have felt much better about my day at Disneyland if I had an AP, because if I did, I could have easily gone the next day for a couple of hours to do some important things that I missed without it costing me anything extra. APs definitely help make theme park visits a lot less stressful since you don't feel the pressure of having to do everything in a set amount of time.

Mickeyboof

Original Poster
i'd rather have walls and scrims everywhere than attractions killing people like in the early 2000s...

Sigh… good point. Disneyland is in incredible shape today. The upkeep has been tremendous. It’s all an investment for the future. I like your perspective!

Californian Elitist

I don’t think this is awful showmanship at all. If there are scrims, that means work is being done. Is it so bad that work needs to be done? They could close the parks and reopen them when all the work that needs to be done is completed, if that’s better.

I remember being a CM and hearing some of the most trivial complaining from guests. If it’s so bad, then leave. It got to a point where I started tell guests that because it was very annoying.

Mickeyboof

Original Poster
I don’t think this is awful showmanship at all. If there are scrims, that means work is being done. Is it so bad that work needs to be done? They could close the parks and reopen them when all the work that needs to be done is completed, if that’s better.

I remember being a CM and hearing some of the most trivial complaining from guests. If it’s so bad, then leave. It got to a point where I started tell guests that because it was very annoying.

You’re right, sure. The timing is very bad on this project, though. It’s summer. Ticket prices are insane. There’s no reason this massive obstruction should be suddenly erected during this time of year, after opportune months where projects could have been completed out of sight.

Mickeyboof

Original Poster
(I personally would rather the scaffolding be scrim-less. I’d still like to see the buildings and enjoy the painters working, as I often do on Main Street mornings watching the painters finish up!)

wdrive

You’re right, sure. The timing is very bad on this project, though. It’s summer. Ticket prices are insane. There’s no reason this massive obstruction should be suddenly erected during this time of year, after opportune months where projects could have been completed out of sight.

Ticket prices are always insane. I see no reason why facade work can’t be done at anytime of year. Is it perfect if you’re visiting? No. But I’d rather something was always being refurbed than letting things fall to bits.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

As a Chapek/WDI critic, even I’ll admit it’s refreshing to see some basic maintenance work being done.

With 4th of July behind us an most school seasons starting in just a couple of weeks are the “dog days” of summer really the busiest season anymore? Assuming we see Halloween and Holiday crowds this coming Fall and early winter and likely a relaunch of the new “membership” program early next year, it’s possible this may be a lighter time of the year anyway.

Californian Elitist

How do you know these buildings needed work done this entire time? Is it not possible that whatever is going on with the buildings is a fairly new issue?

Ticket prices have been insane for years. I don’t see how the season has anything to do with it either, honestly. There are scrims on some buildings. I could see your point if over half the rides were closed for refurbishment. But if something like scrims makes you as livid as you say you are, the good thing is you don’t have to return until they’re gone. Either way, the work needs to get done and it will get done.

ToTBellHop

Summer typically means fewer ride closures but has no impact on maintenance of this nature. People complaining about scrims are being ridiculous. They don’t intend to close again for any extended periods again, so work will take place while guests are in the park.

Be happy the parks are back open. Or go somewhere else.

Mickeyboof

Original Poster
Summer typically means fewer ride closures but has no impact on maintenance of this nature. People complaining about scrims are being ridiculous. They don’t intend to close again for any extended periods again, so work will take place while guests are in the park.

Be happy the parks are back open. Or go somewhere else.

Go somewhere else is the plan! :) Pretty absurd to fly clear across the country, pay premium Disney prices to see the same scaffolding that has been covering my Manhattan street for the last four years.

I wouldn’t mind the work if it wasn’t being done in the middle of summer.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I’m actually livid that during the peak of summer, with ticket prices as they are, that Disneyland is wall city again.

WHY was this work not done during the park closure?

Cars Land, the Lagoon and now this monstrosity in New Orleans Square has me rethinking my five day park hopper next week. A day or two at knotts and universal sounds much more appealing. Awful showmanship.

View attachment 573650

View attachment 573648
Why wasn’t this done during the closure? Some will say COVID, some will say NEWSOM, I say CHAPEK.

In reality, TWDC does not care, folks will show up and pay anyway, especially after being locked in their homes for a year..

Keep in mind, Disney has been ignoring the guest experience for years! This is not new.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom