Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

pdude81

I saw in a post on the DIS forum that said the HM equivalent of a 4 hour marathon will be 1:53:45. I have not emailed myself to find out so I can't say how accurate this is. Seems to be in line with some of the calculators I've researched, so I believe it.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I saw in a post on the DIS forum that said the HM equivalent of a 4 hour marathon will be 1:53:45. I have not emailed myself to find out so I can't say how accurate this is. Seems to be in line with some of the calculators I've researched, so I believe it.
I wish they would specify (not that I’m at all likely to get a half near that pace before October), the stipulations would have me worried that they’d stick me in the last corral if I was on that borderline and turned out to be wrong! 😁

839BA117-C2CF-4D9B-9FD8-4292B4904CE3.jpeg

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I wish they would specify (not that I’m at all likely to get a half near that pace before October), the stipulations would have me worried that they’d stick me in the last corral if I was on that borderline and turned out to be wrong! 😁

View attachment 573635

I'd think if you submit a PoT, even if it's not under their threshold, but still a good pace, you should not be put in the last corral. Especially when you tell them this isn't your first half or full. Why ask the question if it won't be relevant to corral placement?

pdude81

I'd think if you submit a PoT, even if it's not under their threshold, but still a good pace, you should not be put in the last corral. Especially when you tell them this isn't your first half or full. Why ask the question if it won't be relevant to corral placement?
Well I think that if you don't do the PoT you get a different drop down with expected finish pace. So they want you either putting in a time that meets the criteria, or self-seeding. Now if you put in a 1:55 half marathon, I think it's reasonable to believe you could pull off a 4 hour marathon and they wouldn't penalize you. But that's not the letter of the law, so they could do whatever they want. Really if they are crazy about these numbers they should tell you the exact time you need to be under for a ten miler or a half marathon.

pdude81

View attachment 573635
Yeah, I don't love the way they try to scare you into submission on that. Honestly I'm just going to put down an expected finish time that's realistic, and then try to get my proof of time to go under 4 and update the registration if I make it. The race I plan to use is actually the last weekend of Sept so the timing works out.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
My Princess half is just over 2hrs by a couple minutes (I think 5)... I stopped for pics a couple times and each time I stopped my watch and phone. They both were under 2 hours, which is what I have always ran for half marathons.
My splits for the race show my pace is under 2 hours too, will they take that into account also and not just the finish time?

Well I think that if you don't do the PoT you get a different drop down with expected finish pace. So they want you either putting in a time that meets the criteria, or self-seeding. Now if you put in a 1:55 half marathon, I think it's reasonable to believe you could pull off a 4 hour marathon and they wouldn't penalize you. But that's not the letter of the law, so they could do whatever they want. Really if they are crazy about these numbers they should tell you the exact time you need to be under for a ten miler or a half marathon.
I worry about others self-seeding themselves minutes faster than they usually are to get ahead of the balloon ladies. I'd like to believe for runners that have run a rD race before, rD will check those times and if your average is 14 minutes and you self-seed yourself at 9:30 they'll place you in 13 or 12 minute coral group. And to those who've never ran a rD race and don't have a POT will be placed in the last coral... that's usually how it goes with all other non-rD races, you don't have a time - you are placed in the back.

Demarke

Premium Member
My Princess half is just over 2hrs by a couple minutes (I think 5)... I stopped for pics a couple times and each time I stopped my watch and phone. They both were under 2 hours, which is what I have always ran for half marathons.
My splits for the race show my pace is under 2 hours too, will they take that into account also and not just the finish time?
You can use non-Disney proof of times, if one of your sub-2 hour ones was from a certified live race in the last couple of years (or whatever the window is), you can use that and provide a link to your results.

pdude81

I worry about others self-seeding themselves minutes faster than they usually are to get ahead of the balloon ladies. I'd like to believe for runners that have run a rD race before, rD will check those times and if your average is 14 minutes and you self-seed yourself at 9:30 they'll place you in 13 or 12 minute coral group. And to those who've never ran a rD race and don't have a POT will be placed in the last coral... that's usually how it goes with all other non-rD races, you don't have a time - you are placed in the back.
I don't think there is any way they are assuming you stopped for pictures in the race and factoring that in. You would have had to run that princess in under 2 hours for a HM PoT or 1:53 and change for a marathon PoT to work.

You'd need to pull a time from another certified race. I wonder how people in different countries get seeded since I assume USATF is not measuring races overseas. They must not really care too much about the explicit certification.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
You can use non-Disney proof of times, if one of your sub-2 hour ones was from a certified live race in the last couple of years (or whatever the window is), you can use that and provide a link to your results.
Oh I get that we can use POT from races outside rD races. For me 2019 was a recovery from 2018 and training for the 6 half marathons I planned to run in 2020 (I got to Princess and covid happened), so in 2019 I ran 5k's, 10k's and marathon relay's. My POT for half marathon is a 53 min 10k, but the only race I have (that falls within their timeline) for the marathon POT is Princess half right now. So I'm looking at running a half in September to submit, with hopefully a below a 1:53:-- as @pdude81 stated for the marathon.

pdude81

Oh I get that we can use POT from races outside rD races. For me 2019 was a recovery from 2018 and training for the 6 half marathons I planned to run in 2020 (I got to Princess and covid happened), so in 2019 I ran 5k's, 10k's and marathon relay's. My POT for half marathon is a 53 min 10k, but the only race I have (that falls within their timeline) for the marathon POT is Princess half right now. So I'm looking at running a half in September to submit, with hopefully a below a 1:53:-- as @pdude81 stated for the marathon.
I double checked the post (the guys name on the other board is DopeyBadger, I want to at least give credit where credit is due). The exact cutoff they told him was 1:53:45. Honestly if I am able to pull off anything under 1:55 I might stick that in the field and see how it goes.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
I double checked the post (the guys name on the other board is DopeyBadger, I want to at least give credit where credit is due). The exact cutoff they told him was 1:53:45. Honestly if I am able to pull off anything under 1:55 I might stick that in the field and see how it goes.
I just signed up for a Half in September that promises to be a flat and fast race, hoping I too can pull off something close to 1:53 and under 1:55. And this race just adds to practice and training anyways, so I get a medal and a timed USATF race to add.

striker1064

That poster has been around for a while and always gives great running tips and info, so I'm inclined to believe it's true.

I'm just venting at this point because I've never run a marathon, and I was really hoping for corral C. But thanks to the club, that won't happen.

My best HM is 1:58 and I don't have enough time to train and register for a better HM to get to B. I think given enough time I could do it, but I've been working through injury the past year-ish. Oh well, maybe next time around.

pdude81

That poster has been around for a while and always gives great running tips and info, so I'm inclined to believe it's true.

I'm just venting at this point because I've never run a marathon, and I was really hoping for corral C. But thanks to the club, that won't happen.

My best HM is 1:58 and I don't have enough time to train and register for a better HM to get to B. I think given enough time I could do it, but I've been working through injury the past year-ish. Oh well, maybe next time around.
Yeah this whole thing sucks. I wouldn't be surprised if rD is working with a skeleton crew and they don't want to spend a lot of time checking race websites to confirm times. I was in corral C last time but started at the back since I never really like being on top of other people... and boy was it a traffic jam. If you are concerned really just try to be near the front of your corral and you won't have the first mile issues that are most frustrating. There is nothing you can do about clogging in the middle of the race, but if you plan to give it a good shot then try to line up early.

My strategy is to do my damnedest to pull off a qualifying time in Sept, because I'm going to do the race retreat package and go out there as late as I possibly can. If not I'll just chill at the back of C and then stop for every character photo, and try to have a better qualifying time next year.

That brings up an important question to those who've already registered. Is there a race retreat package offered during registration? I haven't noticed any language about this so I'm curious if they are even having one. If not that is a huge bummer

pdude81

Is the USATF certification a new requirement? Like someone mentioned, it's a bit harder for runners abroad to run on such courses.
Not sure when it started but I have seen reference to USATF in the past two years PoT guidelines for marathon. You might have to email to find out what certification is needed for someone from outside the US, if anything specific.

Demarke

Premium Member
Yeah this whole thing sucks. I wouldn't be surprised if rD is working with a skeleton crew and they don't want to spend a lot of time checking race websites to confirm times. I was in corral C last time but started at the back since I never really like being on top of other people... and boy was it a traffic jam. If you are concerned really just try to be near the front of your corral and you won't have the first mile issues that are most frustrating. There is nothing you can do about clogging in the middle of the race, but if you plan to give it a good shot then try to line up early.

My strategy is to do my damnedest to pull off a qualifying time in Sept, because I'm going to do the race retreat package and go out there as late as I possibly can. If not I'll just chill at the back of C and then stop for every character photo, and try to have a better qualifying time next year.

That brings up an important question to those who've already registered. Is there a race retreat package offered during registration? I haven't noticed any language about this so I'm curious if they are even having one. If not that is a huge bummer
I haven’t seen anything, but if they brought Runner’s Square back like they did in 2020, it wasn’t really worth it. It was open air and placed in an inconvenient location. Also, the “short cut” to the corrals wasn’t really noticeably shorter unless you were in the first couple of corrals and they didn’t seem to actually go early because there was already easily a few hundred from the regular area in my corral by the time I got there using the “early access” perk. The photographers didn’t seem to be available much either beyond volunteers coordinating cell phone pics, the one from an official photographer I remember getting, he told me he was making an exception and had to do it quick so a line didn’t form. Although you do get a small towel, a rice krispy treat, and fruit and bottled beverages!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom