News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

MrPromey

The gravity building looks the way it does because it’s cheap. If they paid more than $30-40M for that building they got hosed. Pre-engineered buildings (which this appears to be) are ≈ $150/sf. Google Earth says the gravity building is 65k sf. Let’s bump it to 70k for our estimate. Let’s bump the $150/sf up for FL construction costs and some customization by Disney to say $300/sf.

70,000 x $300/sf ≈ $21,000,000

That building might have been the least expensive portion of the entire project from a major construction cost point of view.

Good point but I'd still call $30-$40 million a decent chunk.

That's B&M coaster territory - obviously not themed and obviously not up to the Disney standards we expect but most of what Disney puts out these days isn't up to those standards, either.

My only point was, you can't really compare this budget to California because that was an existing attraction from start-to-finish. There was no major building construction. No ride system development - nearly all of the engineering for that one was already done and paid for.

... but again, I'd expect us to see elements from that development repurposed here, too, which would be a cost savings when it comes to R&D - maybe not huge but who knows what the actual number works out to be?

Last edited:

Missing20K

Good point but I'd still call $30-$40 million a decent chunk.

That's B&M coaster territory - obviously not themed and obviously not up to the Disney standards we expect but most of what Disney puts out these days isn't up to those standards, either.

My only point was, you can't really compare this budget to California because that was an existing attraction from start-to-finish. There was no major building construction. No ride system development - nearly all of the engineering for that one was already done and paid for.

... but again, I'd expect us to see elements from that repurposed here, too which would be a cost savings when it comes to R&D - maybe not huge but who knows what the actual number works out to be?
It’s not a small sum. But I’m also being fairly generous. Point being, it’s just a very inexpensive way to enclose space is all. It’s essentially a conditioned, insulated airplane hangar. I say, spend the extra $100-150M for a properly themed structure and you won’t have an eyesore on the horizon for the next 40 years.

James Alucobond

what would the theming be? just curious
Literally anything even vaguely futuristic would be a massive improvement. Considering the Xandarian ship going in front of the pavilion, just grab one of the myriad architectural influences on display in the bit of Xandar we see in the films. Plenty of their structures would mesh seamlessly with the other buildings in the area.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I actually have a buddy who makes props. I have no idea how much putting something out front of guardians of the Galaxy would cost but I know that he has made some very large, very expensive looking outdoor props for prices that were shockingly inexpensive.
Did he guarantee they'd last year-round in Florida and withstand hurricane winds with only minor paint touch-ups for the next 20 years?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I actually have a buddy who makes props. I have no idea how much putting something out front of guardians of the Galaxy would cost but I know that he has made some very large, very expensive looking outdoor props for prices that were shockingly inexpensive.

Here is something to provide some perspective on this, a lien from 2012..

Nassal Company, Fabrication & Installation of Character Icons for Art of Animation, Total: $1,711,879.

Incomudro

I haven't been on Hagrid's yet, but I have watched a video -- my guess would be the lack of theming. It does have some but it's mostly just a roller coaster with a handful of AAs. That shouldn't really be surprising for what it is, but I think Revenge of the Mummy is a better themed coaster just at Universal.

They were probably hoping for something with more AAs of magical creatures, perhaps more like a dark ride.
Mummy is far superior for me.
It's an example of a superior ride based on a film that few people care about now.

UNCgolf

Mummy is far superior for me.
It's an example of a superior ride based on a film that few people care about now.

Yeah, Mummy is a very good ride. It may be my second favorite at Universal behind Jurassic Park River Adventure.

I wonder how much longer it will exist. Universal likes to shut down and replace rides based on older movies, even if they were a classic. E.T. is still there, but that's about it from their original attractions.

Incomudro

It’s not a small sum. But I’m also being fairly generous. Point being, it’s just a very inexpensive way to enclose space is all. It’s essentially a conditioned, insulated airplane hangar. I say, spend the extra $100-150M for a properly themed structure and you won’t have an eyesore on the horizon for the next 40 years.
If they themed it, it would really out compete Spaceship Earth.
It would render Spaceship Earth the lesser visual, when it's supposed to be the centerpiece of the park.

Dan Deesnee

Did he guarantee they'd last year-round in Florida and withstand hurricane winds with only minor paint touch-ups for the next 20 years?

I should have been more clear in my original post that the spaceship to draw attention and get people hyped up would have been temporary and replaced with something more intricate and "client facing" once people are actually able to get closer than 60-100 ft of it.

James Alucobond

If they themed it, it would really out compete Spaceship Earth.
It would render Spaceship Earth the lesser visual, when it's supposed to be the centerpiece of the park.
Given its placement, I think it would be fine, especially if they opted not to illuminate the upper extent of it at night. It's really only a visual disaster from locations where its scale relative to Spaceship Earth doesn't matter as much, e.g. the parking lot, the World Showcase, the monorail, etc. You don't really even perceive it within the confines of Future World. Yeah, it shouldn't be overly gaudy like Mission: Breakout, but a simple, sleek design would not detract much from the approach and certainly would not be any worse than what's there now.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The best option would have been to build a themed show building that wasn't larger than Spaceship Earth. Make the coaster smaller or use a different ride system.

Rumored to have been overheard during the executive meeting to review design proposareplace UoE:

“well, this one is about energy and science…”
“This one has a science component but…”
“This one uses a big huge box for a roller coaster”

Bob: “Here’s what I just heard - Blah blah blah, science science science… BIGGER! And bigger is better!”

(yes, that was a “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs” reference.)

Edited to fix a typo

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom