Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I am hoping they change the marathon route. Too many switch backs. I hate seeing people heading in the
other direction. You know you still have to go to a turn around and don't know how far behind those runners
you are. It may just be me but it works negatively on me during that point in the race.

I guess I see it more “glass half full” and it makes me feel more part of it - all the more so to still see people on the coming switchback when I finally reach the going.

OG Runner

I guess I see it more “glass half full” and it makes me feel more part of it - all the more so to still see people on the coming switchback when I finally reach the going.
I didn't mind when you would see people coming in at WWoS when I was leaving or visa versa with the old route. The switch backs for some reason bother me.

Rteetz

I am hoping they change the marathon route. Too many switch backs. I hate seeing people heading in the
other direction. You know you still have to go to a turn around and don't know how far behind those runners
you are. It may just be me but it works negatively on me during that point in the race.
Thats rather unavoidable. Both the old and new course have them.

pdude81

Still no update on PoT and early registration starts tomorrow. This is rather curious. I'm wondering if it will be soft of a half-measure. Instead of dropping down to something like 4 hour marathon time, they go to 4:30, which tracks closer to the 2 hour half requirement for Wine and Dine.

skiir97

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Hot damn, 4:00 marathon requirement. Does anybody know offhand what the half marathon equivalent would be for that? I don't know which conversion they use.
Ugh! I hope I’m just being a negative Nancy, but I’m picturing thousands of people in the 2:00-2:15 and 4:00-4:15 corrals using the pace estimate to try to give themselves a buffer for photos and pacing to walk and stay ahead of the balloon ladies. I hope this is temporary to appease people who haven’t had recent proof of times due to covid restrictions and everything going virtual. Unless capacity is more capped than it currently appears, I could more easily understand 2:30 for a half and 5:00 or 5:30 PoT for a full. That would seem to allow most of the folks that intend to jog all or nearly all of the races not to have to zig zag by people or run in the grass the first 2-3 miles.

On a lighter note, I think Dopey needs to start training now!! Judging by the graphic under the virtual challenge, looks like he’s packed on a pound or two (as have I) during the lockdown! 😉

2018:
79D549C1-9F5C-4F9A-9A42-8D94ED0DAF57.png

2021:
725E1176-819B-40D4-8858-6D7BBCBCACE7.png

Last edited:

pdude81

Yeah those first non PoT corrals are going to be ugly. I was in C I think last time but I started at the end of C. Lots of 4 and 5 wide walking groups to fight through at the start even then.

I think they might be giving up corral C to club rundisney, so they effectively pushed anybody in that proof of time lane back farther. Thankfully they are allowing back to Jan 19, but with the quicker requirements I'll need a new race. I guess I need to PR a half marathon now in two months on little or no training. What could go wrong?

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Ugh! I hope I’m just being a negative Nancy, but I’m picturing thousands of people in the 2:00-2:15 and 4:00-4:15 corrals using the pace estimate to try to give themselves a buffer for photos and pacing to walk and stay ahead of the balloon ladies. I hope this is temporary to appease people who haven’t had recent proof of times due to covid restrictions and everything going virtual. Unless capacity is more capped than it currently appears, I could understand 2:30 for a half and 5:00 or 5:30 PoT for a full. That would seem to allow most of the folks that intend to jog all or nearly all of the races not to have to zig zag by people or run in the grass the first 2-3 miles.
Yeah those first non PoT corrals are going to be ugly. I was in C I think last time but I started at the end of C. Lots of 4 and 5 wide walking groups to fight through at the start even then.

I think they might be giving up corral C to club rundisney, so they effectively pushed anybody in that proof of time lane back farther. Thankfully they are allowing back to Jan 19, but with the quicker requirements I'll need a new race. I guess I need to PR a half marathon now in two months on little or no training. What could go wrong?
I saw the POT they want and said the same thing afterwards, this is gonna create such a mess on race day - but it's creating less work for rD ahead of race day b/c they won't have as many POT to look up.

And I've already started looking at what half marathons are close to me in September and its looking like VA beach Rock n Roll. Have to find out if it will count before I reg, the course is flat and race, so that will help with a sub 2 for some.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member

Same, I’m going to need to shave 30-40 seconds per mile off my best in-person Half to break 2:00:00 (which I think is doable if the deadline is after it cools down some), hopefully they’ll allow that as a PoT for the marathon too, because I’m nowhere close to breaking 4:00:00 there, 4:30:00 maybe, but 4 hrs is a bit above my pay grade!

pdude81

Same, I’m going to need to shave 30-40 seconds per mile off my best in-person Half to break 2:00:00 (which I think is doable if the deadline is after it cools down some), hopefully they’ll allow that as a PoT for the marathon too, because I’m nowhere close to breaking 4:00:00 there, 4:30:00 maybe, but 4 hrs is a bit above my pay grade!
I think for a half you'll need something like 1:53 to get under 4 hour marathon equivalent, depending on what conversion they use. Otherwise a full at/under 4. I figured they could go to 4:30 or so but it's rough this year

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom