News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

Splashin' Ryan

Ugh seeing pictures of the rooms today is so disappointing. Everything looks so cold imo. The Moana swirls on every single wall, hallway, fixture, and fabric piece in the room are just too much.
I know some will argue that the look is "subtle" simply because Moana herself isn't on everything but the design is everywhere you look.
The old rooms while somewhat outdated still retained a tropical warmth to them, these do not.
Welcome to the new Moana resort I guess 😔

Haymarket2008

Ugh seeing pictures of the rooms today is so disappointing. Everything looks so cold imo. The Moana swirls on every single wall, hallway, fixture, and fabric piece in the room are just too much.
I know some will argue that the look is "subtle" simply because Moana herself isn't on everything but the design is everywhere you look.
The old rooms while somewhat outdated still retained a tropical warmth to them, these do not.
Welcome to the new Moana resort I guess 😔

Yeah…..I wish it was like Wilderness Lodge with the Country Bears and tasteful woodland Disney animals. Where are the Tiki birds? Where’s Maui, the resort’s original mascot? Aren’t we celebrating 50 years?

Bocabear

It's not only the Moana trademarked patterns, but also the hardscape floor and the overall look feels like a branded Ikea tropical resort. It lacks chacter and warmth... and by "Character" i don't mean IP...lol
I would expect to see this room at a moderate resort...not the most expensive Resort on property...
I love the idea of a Moana Resort, if I were paying for a moderate or Value resort... just not here... Would be great at Aulani

dsinclair

It's not only the Moana trademarked patterns, but also the hardscape floor and the overall look feels like a branded Ikea tropical resort. It lacks chacter and warmth... and by "Character" i don't mean IP...lol
I would expect to see this room at a moderate resort...not the most expensive Resort on property...
I love the idea of a Moana Resort, if I were paying for a moderate or Value resort... just not here... Would be great at Aulani
Why is it great for Aulani, but not the Polynesian? They're the same price point and service level.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Personally I think these rooms are far from cold and that if thinking these are sterile that y'all are going to hate the new Contemporary rooms. We've been hearing a long time how new rooms lack a "Disney feel" and these remedy that in a much better way than the Pirate and Princess rooms at moderates. They did a great job fitting Moana into traditional Polynesian themes, as opposed to where they look like they are trying to make Contemporary fit into an Incredibles theme.

I'm not wild about the feature wall but it and the curtain really pop nice color in a room with a ton of small details (headboards, sheet patterns, lamp shade art, headlight and wall light designs, air conditioner grate!, detail around bathroom mirror, etc.). Room seems super functional too. While I would disagree with the position I can see where some people might think the aggregate us "a lot" but that's mostly what people have complained about Disney moving away from over the years. It's not going to fit everyone's taste but I think Disney's hit a homerun here.

UNCgolf

Personally I think these rooms are far from cold and that if thinking these are sterile that y'all are going to hate the new Contemporary rooms. We've been hearing a long time how new rooms lack a "Disney feel" and these remedy that in a much better way than the Pirate and Princess rooms at moderates. They did a great job fitting Moana into traditional Polynesian themes, as opposed to where they look like they are trying to make Contemporary fit into an Incredibles theme.

I'm not wild about the feature wall but it and the curtain really pop nice color in a room with a ton of small details (headboards, sheet patterns, lamp shade art, headlight and wall light designs, air conditioner grate!, detail around bathroom mirror, etc.). Room seems super functional too. While I would disagree with the position I can see where some people might think the aggregate us "a lot" but that's mostly what people have complained about Disney moving away from over the years. It's not going to fit everyone's taste but I think Disney's hit a homerun here.

I don't love these Moana rooms (the rooms at Universal's Royal Pacific are better for something with a relatively similar theme), but the Incredibles reveal at the Contemporary went a long way towards making them look great. The Incredibles rooms are terrible.

aliceismad

Why is it great for Aulani, but not the Polynesian? They're the same price point and service level.
I don't want to speak for anyone else, but Poly and Contemporary were the original hotels that opened at WDW in 1971, and I think it's hard for some people to see them saturated with IP and using decor/furniture that some feel is more trend and flash vs. timeless and substance. I personally like the rooms, but I can also see why some would prefer a different approach. Kind of like how many new build houses right now are following the Joanna Gaines/modern farmhouse vibe that is overdone and maybe will be dated in 10 years.

Ponderer

I actually like the new rooms and I especially like them better than the new Contemporary rooms.

I think these rooms are charming, with wonderful texture, atmosphere and fun. I have no idea where the “cold” stuff is coming from; I think these rooms are inviting as heck, with lots of little details.

As for those whining about the IP, I am personally done with the griping about IP integration when people grew up with parks that were literal nonstop commercials for GE and Chevrolet and frigging Monsanto and every other multinational willing to throw a few bucks Disney’s way, and that was jussssssst fine. But Disney incorporating more of the characters and properties that people around the world directly associate with them? Heaven forfend.

Maybe the rooms would get more acclaim if they featured Goodyear wall sconces.

Excuse me. I’m surly today.

UNCgolf

I think these rooms are charming, with wonderful texture, atmosphere and fun. I have no idea where the “cold” stuff is coming from; I think these rooms are inviting as heck, with lots of little details.

As for those whining about the IP, I am personally done with the griping about IP integration when people grew up with parks that were literal nonstop commercials for GE and Chevrolet and frigging Monsanto and every other multinational willing to throw a few bucks Disney’s way, and that was jussssssst fine. But Disney incorporating more of the characters and properties that people around the world directly associate with them? Heaven forfend.

Did you ever actually go to EPCOT? It wasn't even remotely close to what you're describing. And it was the most fun/interesting park Disney has ever built, even with the occasional corporate advertising (yes, there was some there, but it was relatively minimal overall).

Ponderer

Did you ever actually go to EPCOT? It wasn't even remotely close to what you're describing. And it was the most fun/interesting park Disney has ever built, even with the occasional corporate advertising (yes, there was some there, but it was relatively minimal overall).

They literally changed Figment’s color because Kodak was upset that he had Fuji’s color. The Making Memories song was a defacto jingle for them too. Marty Sklar said they were developing a pavilion specifically to highlight GE and the “GE Style”, which became Horizons. Corporate sponsorship and integration was literally in the DNA of at least Future World. And God knows it was all over Disneyland, Walt’s baby.

dsinclair

theland.gif

sse siemens.jpg

sse att.png

imagination.jpg

Screen-Shot-2014-07-09-at-1.28.11-PM.png

Sponsors 04b.jpg

And let's not forget that Figment is purple because Kodak requested he be changed from Fuji films green, and that his sweater is yellow and red to match Kodak.

Splashin' Ryan

You are all confusing corporate sponsorships with Disney's proprietary character integration. Two completely totally unrelated things. Obviously, no resort is going to be branded to a company (Disney things aside).

Ponderer

You are all confusing corporate sponsorships with Disney's proprietary character integration. Two completely totally unrelated things. Obviously, no resort is going to be branded to a company (Disney things aside).

Oh, come on. Many who screamed loudest abt Disney characters corrupting Epcot have nothing but nostalgic feelings for Journey Into Imagination singing how you need to use more Kodak film, or Exxon‘s pavilion explaining how great offshore drilling is. People complain about IP because it ruins their notion of “purity.” It’s absolutely the same discussion. The resort part is irrelevant.

Parker in NYC

I never had to look at a Buick in my resort hotel room. Except for that one time… but I can’t blame them for making a wrong turn.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom