News Disney Genie digital assistant app coming to Walt Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

havoc315

Kind of an evil genius plan, but I could see it being beneficial. Is it doable though??? The app would have to juggle a lot of different variables and as a basis for comparison MDE doesn't exactly inspire confidence lmao.

It seems more geared toward first timers and large groups who find the sheer number of parks, dining and attraction options, etc. overwhelming and need a little extra help planning out their day. I think it's a great idea assuming it actually functions as intended, which is a big IF. And I'd definitely like to give it a shot myself, but I'm probably not the target demo.

Not sure how this is going to affect FP+ but I personally wouldn't be sad to see it replaced with a cross between DLR's Max Pass and a (more affordable?) UO Express Pass. I think it would shorten wait times in the long term and wouldn't mind splurging (within reason) every once in a while if I'm visiting parks with family/friends and want to get a lot done.

Definitely theoretically doable but it would likely take extraordinary computer engineering and massive ongoing data processing.
All businesses are moving in the direction of capturing and utilizing the “big data.” (Think about Amazon giving you product recommendations... or Starbucks uses the big data to offer promotions as specific times and locations).

On the scale required for an operation like WDW, at the level I suggested... Likely to complex to get there tomorrow. Much like their initial FP+ and Magic band plans ultimately under delivered.

But I would expect to see that level of crowd management some day in the not-that-distant future.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Disney’s goal with Genie will (presumably) be to maximize total enjoyment across all guests, not my enjoyment specifically. I imagine for WDW park pros, Genie will be something we manipulate, not some thing that manipulates us.
Disney's plan with Genie is to monetize attraction admission. WDW pro's are not going to be able to manipulate the fact that it will be pay to play.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
We couldn't afford it, and there's almost certainly no legal grounds for copying the idea of route optimization.

Disney's doing some interesting things with the Genie patents, like filing continuations of existing patents from 2007 with new Genie features in it, that make me think they're either trying to head off lawsuits, or preparing one of their own.
Ever heard the story of Coca-Cola versus the Polar Beverages company?
1617972145492.png

nickys

Premium Member
Disney's plan with Genie is to monetize attraction admission. WDW pro's are not going to be able to manipulate the fact that it will be pay to play.
I think what he meant was that the “Pros” would ignore most of the “here is your optimal day“ suggestions but simply use it to buy an FP if and when it makes sense to do so.

Magic Feather

As quite a few have brought up elsewhere and on Twitter, most Disney tech "big swings" seem to be a big miss. Now, that said, this definitely seems like an easier way to implement some of the goals of the next gen initiative and/or implement greater levels of monetization for different experiences.
On the one hand, I could see this being a new version of "surprise fastpass" (remember those?) that would steer guests to attractions they intend to ride that are experiencing lower waits during peak times.
On the other hand, this would make it super easy to "sell" guests an itinerary with guaranteed expedited access to select attractions.

Weather_Lady

On the one hand, I could see this being a new version of "surprise fastpass" (remember those?) that would steer guests to attractions they intend to ride that are experiencing lower waits during peak times.
[Adjusting my tinfoil hat.] I hope you are right. However, my suspicion is that Genie's chief goal won't be to send guests to attractions during times of low waits (although that will be a coincidental result in some cases), so much as it will be to spread the crowds out evenly to match Disney's pre-determined staffing and capacity for a given day -- not just for attractions, but even for counter-service restaurants and shops. I'm thinking Genie will not only manipulate crowd movements, but also manipulate projected wait times and mobile ordering availability in order to fool the guest into thinking that every time they go where Genie tells them to go, they've "saved time in line." After a few push messages shrilly congratulating them on this, they'll be fully trained and conditioned to do whatever Genie says, eat or shop wherever it suggests, and buy whatever upgrades and Fastpasses Genie tells them to buy, in order to maximize their "magic." Disney will have created its own army of Stepford tourists.

Hopefully there will be some real world data to confirm or debunk that idea by the time my family visits next, but if I had to use Genie now, I'd be zigging when it told me to zag and cleaving more closely than ever to touringplans and the advice of seasoned forum participants and my own past experiences, simply because I no longer trust Disney to be acting in my best interests as a guest. As Cora Munro says in The Last of the Mohicans, " I would rather make the gravest of mistakes than surrender my own judgment."

Last edited:

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

MurphyJoe

As quite a few have brought up elsewhere and on Twitter, most Disney tech "big swings" seem to be a big miss. Now, that said, this definitely seems like an easier way to implement some of the goals of the next gen initiative and/or implement greater levels of monetization for different experiences.
On the other hand, this would make it super easy to "sell" guests an itinerary with guaranteed expedited access to select attractions.

Genie and custom itineraries would also be an easy way of selling dining credits (in a sense) to the off-site crowd through included meal(s) without losing the ability to pitch the dining plan for onsite stays. Add a quick service meal for only $AA, a table service for $BB (and Disney could include the reservation with payment), or two snacks for $CC. Easy money.

ToTBellHop

Genie: You're on the leaderboard, two more premier passes and you'll be today's ruler of the Magic Kingdom! See a cast member for a special prize.*+

*A Mickey sticker. But they come in 10 colors - collect them all!
+No cap on the number of winners per day.
It would be a virtual sticker to display on your MouseBook profile. Disney’s environmentality does not allow for physical stickers anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom