Jungle Cruise Update

PiratesMansion

If a change to a beloved attraction is 'lateral', that means it's a step back.

That the new Fantasmic, with 20 years of new technology and progress in show design could be considered a 'lateral' move and not a bona fide improvement really demonstrates how far Disney Creative has fallen.

But to the larger point- if Disney is going to say an existing scene or attraction is negative and problematic, they need to make dang sure what they're replacing it with is the best they've done. The new Auction scene doesn't do that. Pixar Pier didn't do that. Time will tell if the Jungle Cruise changes did that- but so far it looks like they recycled the 'chimps overran the camp' gag already present in the attraction, just this time with a boat.
Well, really lateral means that a given change is neither definitively more positive or more negative, but I know you (and many others) feel more strongly negative against a number of changes than I do.

Are they on a downward trend? Definitely. Are the changes perfect? No. Is literally every cloud in the DLR sky falling the way that many have been implying for at the very least the last year? Is every change that has happened or that is coming clearly and definitively negative from every and all angles? I'd say no on both counts.

Maybe the new Jungle Cruise is a disaster. Maybe it's a success. I don't know. I won't know until I experience it in person because I'm not interested in forming judgments before I see it in person. It probably won't be perfect but if we're being honest, Jungle Cruise 2019 wasn't exactly a flawless masterpiece either. If Jungle Cruise ever was a flawless masterpiece, it wasn't ever when I was there to see it. So I imagine for me that this specific change will be a lateral move. Not better, not worse, just different.

Unless the changes and the script really are that bad. Dialogue certainly is not modern Disney's strong suit by any measure. But as I said, I'll reserve judgment until my first ride.

mickEblu

No one can really give me an example of anything they've changed and improved.

Alice in Wonderland is one that comes to mind. Meaning overall I think it is a better experience now even with the cartoon movie in the beginning. BTMRR too when the effects on the final lift hill were working. I believe these were both pre Chapek though or at least in motion before he could stop or change them.

mickEblu

That's not an improvement. They put a TV screen and projectors in there. Big whoop. I liked it better before with the skinny off-model Alice mannequin.

I disagree. I think that the projections brought a lot of life to many of the scenes. Not crazy about the movie screen in the beginning though.

Anyway agree with the sentiment. They re like 2 for 20.

mickEblu

Peter Pan's Flight also had some nice touch ups (and they didn't even get rid of the redskins!).

It did get some nice touch ups in the nursery and Tiger Lily water but they ruined London IMO. They made it neon and it looks so flat now. Since that scene is basically 50% of why I (and many) ride it, I consider it an overall downgrade.

George Lucas on a Bench

London looks faker now. I never thought it looked real, but now it looks like one of those carpets from kids rooms in the 90s.

61LuRrkIZUL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Here we goooo! Off to Cheapekland!

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

When I first started frequenting Disney forums everybody always blamed bad decisions and changes in the parks on upper management and budget. I'm glad WDI is getting the blame they deserve now instead of everyone pretending they're the same division they were 30 years ago.
I blame the recent updates to old attractions on that living off her mother's name, Kim Irvine and the glorification of her massive ego by leaving her own stamp on classic rides. "I know Disney better than anyone else so I am going to change classic rides the way I WANT them to be because my mom is Disney Royalty so there!!!!"

George Lucas on a Bench

When I first started frequenting Disney forums everybody always blamed bad decisions and changes in the parks on upper management and budget. I'm glad WDI is getting the blame they deserve now instead of everyone pretending they're the same division they were 30 years ago.

Were it not for the apologists gushing over beige rocks and burned out buildings with two stocky guys in stormtrooper outfits, maybe. Very few people really call out WDI, but rather fawn over them while only criticizing Expectations or Upper Management for Slashing the Budget or something. Gimme a break! They can't come up with good stuff anymore regardless of The Budget.

Last edited:

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I mean it's supposed to be the hippos attracted the boat.
But its stupid. for the 60 plus years the ride has operated we never needed it. The Hippos were always enough. Now the stupid boat and crates detract from this classic scene for no reason. They said they were only going to replace the problematic black people on the ride with monkeys (how is that in itself not problematic?) not alter other scenes. Why change the hippo scene?? how does this make the ride more "INCLUSIVE"???? It doesn't. It's Kim Irvine going " there should be a boat the hippos attacked there. I am going to add one" missing the point of the scene that has been there for OVER 60 YEARS.

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

Probably since the guns were taken away (I didn't notice if they were back in the videos) they wanted to add some suspense?
The guns are still in use and it's been years since they last yanked them and then returned.

It's to buildup to seeing the other half of the sunken ship that has the monkeys, so to make that later scene feel like it's always been there.

Sharon&Susan

"Today, I’m so excited to share that adventurers around the globe will be able to join a stretch of the journey virtually as we take you aboard the Jungle Cruise and beyond. Tune in for a special live stream featuring the World Premiere of Disney’s “Jungle Cruise” Red Carpet event hosted from Disneyland Park on July 24, right here on the Disney Parks Blog. That’s right, the Jungle Cruise will venture down a new, uncharted tributary – a live stream!*
*Due to the movie premiere event, there will be some operational impacts to Disneyland Park on July 24. Please check Disneyland.com for the latest details. "

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom