Jungle Cruise Update

PiratesMansion

How many changes do you think objectively are better as a whole than what they replaced? It seems that it’s one step forward and two steps back these days at best.
I'm not saying there have been many objectively better changes in the recent past. However:
1. Disney fans tend to be vehemently against any and all change (and even changes that are overall well-received, like the
Alice update a few years back, are still RUINED FOREVER for someone). And I understand that, since there's been a lot of negative change over the years. But I do feel there are also a lot of lateral changes that prompted extreme RUINED FOREVER reactions (i.e. New Fantasmic, Aladdin to Frozen, etc) that are disproportionate.
2. I do believe that, in many cases, the *intent* of many of the most recent changes is positive, but this is undercut by the comparative mediocrity of 2021 Imagineering vs. the classic teams of the past. Example: I thought the original auction was fine. I suppose I can intellectually understand the reason *why* the update occurred and can theoretically get behind the idea of the update if it's done well. But the update itself was lousy. So the lesson has become that PC changes = bad when I'm not sure that's necessarily the case.

People then decry "PC" Imagineering or some nonsense and villainize everything about it when the problem isn't the intent, it's the execution.

I'm honestly not sure if I'm doing a good job fully articulating what I'm trying to say here but hopefully it makes sense.

George Lucas on a Bench

I'm not saying there have been many objectively better changes in the recent past. However:
1. Disney fans tend to be vehemently against any and all change (and even changes that are overall well-received, like the
Alice update a few years back, are still RUINED FOREVER for someone). And I understand that, since there's been a lot of negative change over the years. But I do feel there are also a lot of lateral changes that prompted extreme RUINED FOREVER reactions (i.e. New Fantasmic, Aladdin to Frozen, etc) that are disproportionate.
2. I do believe that, in many cases, the *intent* of many of the most recent changes is positive, but this is undercut by the comparative mediocrity of 2021 Imagineering vs. the classic teams of the past. Example: I thought the original auction was fine. I suppose I can intellectually understand the reason *why* the update occurred and can theoretically get behind the idea of the update if it's done well. But the update itself was lousy. So the lesson has become that PC changes = bad when I'm not sure that's necessarily the case.

People then decry "PC" Imagineering or some nonsense and villainize everything about it when the problem isn't the intent, it's the execution.

I'm honestly not sure if I'm doing a good job fully articulating what I'm trying to say here but hopefully it makes sense.

You just read like an apologist. Cam?

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Skippers makes or breaks the ride experience. This is one of the better skippers who can actually land a joke and he's older than most of the skippers.

Oh god, those crates by the hippos make me just cringe. Why do the hippos need crates? where they problematic too? They're hippos!! Why alter that damn scene???? They are not black natives that are "offensive". I FIND YOUR CRATES TO A CLASSIC SCENE OFFENSIVE

Last edited:

mickEblu

Sure, a lot of human beings don’t like change. Disney fans included. But you acknowledge that most changes of late are either not very good or they are lateral. Hardly anything to be proud of. I’d also argue the changes that some may view as lateral aren’t so lateral when you stat dissecting them. I think I’ve made a good case on this thread on why the new version of JC is a downgrade. Certainly more thorough of an opinion than “changes look good” or “chimps look like they’ve always been there.”

As far as the PC stuff and poor 2021 imagineering, I’m able to differentiate the two issues. I even made a comment about what a perfect storm we have right now and that I wished The Disney Co. picked any other time in History to be inclusive. Granted, I also don’t believe most of the PC changes are necessary. Some are downright ridiculous like removing the skulls from Adventureland and the statues from the Jungle Cruise.

Last edited:

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Is there any chance that the surprise they’re unveiling on the 16th isn’t an AA of The Rock?

Wasn’t there a plan to have an “animatronic skipper” or is that simply Felix and crew on the trapped safari pole? Maybe that’s what is still waiting on… just a total guess.

I had the chance to go on yesterday, the new scenes were *interesting* but the new trapped safari scene was frozen/broken. So hopefully that becomes more dependable. Since it was working in the ride through videos.

mickEblu

Wasn’t there a plan to have an “animatronic skipper” or is that simply Felix and crew on the trapped safari pole? Maybe that’s what is still waiting on… just a total guess.

I had the chance to go on yesterday, the new scenes were *interesting* but the new trapped safari scene was frozen/broken. So hopefully that becomes more dependable. Since it was working in the ride through videos.

I don’t remember but I don’t like the way Irvine teased a final surprise. Gives me the “The Rock” vibes.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

@BuzzedPotatoHead89 I do believe WDI confirmed earlier in the year that their wouldn’t be any Rock AA. Hopefully they weren’t trying to surprise us.

I believe I recall that as well… I am wondering if it may be something more tied into the Skipper Felix or Alberta Falls tie in… right now the story is very sparse which is frankly fine since the lore doesn’t need to overwhelm the ride (or the skippers’ spiels, IMO).

SuddenStorm

1. Disney fans tend to be vehemently against any and all change (and even changes that are overall well-received, like the Alice update a few years back, are still RUINED FOREVER for someone). And I understand that, since there's been a lot of negative change over the years. But I do feel there are also a lot of lateral changes that prompted extreme RUINED FOREVER reactions (i.e. New Fantasmic, Aladdin to Frozen, etc) that are disproportionate.

If a change to a beloved attraction is 'lateral', that means it's a step back.

That the new Fantasmic, with 20 years of new technology and progress in show design could be considered a 'lateral' move and not a bona fide improvement really demonstrates how far Disney Creative has fallen.

But to the larger point- if Disney is going to say an existing scene or attraction is negative and problematic, they need to make dang sure what they're replacing it with is the best they've done. The new Auction scene doesn't do that. Pixar Pier didn't do that. Time will tell if the Jungle Cruise changes did that- but so far it looks like they recycled the 'chimps overran the camp' gag already present in the attraction, just this time with a boat.

Last edited:

Homemade Imagineering

I’m guessing it’ll be the Skipper Felix AA. They really made a big deal about there being an AA of a Skipper, and the figure on the pole is a limited motion figure, barely even an AA.

mickEblu

If a change to a beloved attraction is 'lateral', that means it's a step back.

That the new Fantasmic, with 20 years of new technology and progress in show design could be considered a 'lateral' move and not a bona fide improcement really demonstrates how far Disney Creative has fallen.

But to the larger point- if Disney is going to say an existing scene or attraction is negative and problematic, they need to make dang sure what they're replacing it with is the best they've done. The new Auction scene doesn't do that. Pixar Pier didn't do that. Time will tell if the Jungle Cruise changes did that- but so far it looks like they recycled the 'chimps overran the camp' gag already present in the attraction, just this time with a boat.

And removed all elements of macabre and the biggest element of danger and replaced it all with chimps making more of the ride feel the same. Not to mention a little loss of depth from two scenes set back in the jungle now taking place on the rivers edge instead. Also Replaced two super detailed and charming statues with inferior ones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom