Roy E. Disney and "Save Disney"

ArmoredRodent

There is much more to that absolutely fascinating story. Check out the book "Storming the Kingdom" and the LA Times article from the time with the same name. It is the story of how the Bass Brothers from Texas saved Disney (the company) from hostile takeovers (disclosure: at one point in my career, long ago, the Bass Brothers were my clients, as was the Disney Company). In both cases, Roy, who was always the management guy, had to have investors in a position to do something. Today it would be orders of magnitude harder, especially since Disney is not in financial trouble at the moment. Remember, for financial executives, stability and continuity are very important. More to the point of your question, Roy Disney was not quick to pull the trigger; he was careful and thoughtful, and willing to give a new executive a chance. And Eisner had Frank Wells, a financial and management genius, to keep him afloat for a long time. So, no, not yet at least.

Cadbury

Original Poster
There is much more to that absolutely fascinating story. Check out the book "Storming the Kingdom" and the LA Times article from the time with the same name. It is the story of how the Bass Brothers from Texas saved Disney (the company) from hostile takeovers (disclosure: at one point in my career, long ago, the Bass Brothers were my clients, as was the Disney Company). In both cases, Roy, who was always the management guy, had to have investors in a position to do something. Today it would be orders of magnitude harder, especially since Disney is not in financial trouble at the moment. Remember, for financial executives, stability and continuity are very important. More to the point of your question, Roy Disney was not quick to pull the trigger; he was careful and thoughtful, and willing to give a new executive a chance. And Eisner had Frank Wells, a financial and management genius, to keep him afloat for a long time. So, no, not yet at least.
1625537631891.png

Inspired Figment

>get rid of the one guy for Eisner
>get rid of Eisner for Chapek

So exactly what great result would he give us with another ouster? Pol Pot?
Josh D’amaro.. somehow I feel like that guy truly ‘gets it’ and honestly isn’t on board with Chapek/Iger/Eisner without Wells’ view of what Disney should be but only time will tell. Only God truly knows. We just gotta have faith it’ll all be sorted out/saved properly this time around.

Robbiem

I think one of the legacies of the Iger era will be the final corporitasion of Disney. The days when anyone individual could have such as big say as Roy Jnr have gone and the idea of Disney as the family business started by Walt and Roy Snr has been replaced with corporate Disney -Where Eisner used Walt‘s name and legacy as an asset for the company Iger has distanced the company from its founders, even the movies now say ‘Disney’ as a brand rather than ‘Walt Disney’ as a name.

it reminds me of the scene in Tron where David Warner tells Barnard Hughes how encom isn’t his company any more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom