News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

BasiltheBatLord

I wouldn't be shocked if they overhaul California and the Orlando redo just kinda fades away like Reflections Resort and Main Street Theater
A lot of the folks seem to have convinced themselves that this is what’s happening. I still think it’s hard to imagine Splash staying, the media and woke activists won’t let them quietly get away with that after they’ve already made that first announcement.

I think both attractions are done for, even if one has to wait years after the other to get changed. I hope I’m wrong.

doctornick

A lot of the folks seem to have convinced themselves that this is what’s happening. I still think it’s hard to imagine Splash staying, the media and woke activists won’t let them quietly get away with that after they’ve already made that first announcement.

I think both attractions are done for, even if one has to wait years after the other to get changed. I hope I’m wrong.

to be fair, despite it being obvious what the motivation is, Disney never claimed that Splash was a “problem” but framed it more as a way to get Tiana in the parks to be more inclusive. So in theory I think they could “get away” with not changing Splash if they were more inclusive elsewhere - adding in Tiana or maybe something based on Soul somewhere else. I think that would be the most likely way to drown out potential criticism if they wanted to keep Splash.

BasiltheBatLord

to be fair, despite it being obvious what the motivation is, Disney never claimed that Splash was a “problem” but framed it more as a way to get Tiana in the parks to be more inclusive. So in theory I think they could “get away” with not changing Splash if they were more inclusive elsewhere - adding in Tiana or maybe something based on Soul somewhere else. I think that would be the most likely way to drown out potential criticism if they wanted to keep Splash.
The CEO is on camera now specifically saying that Splash is a "problem", so I dunno if that would work.

jt04

Updating Splash is simply the right thing to do. It shouldn't be conflated with woke-ism.

If the don't want to use PatF at the MK because they don't want to update the land to make it blend in, then there are other franchise possibilities.

Making attractions that are more representative of society is an honorable goal. And overdue in the parks for sure.

SamusAranX

Updating Splash is simply the right thing to do. It shouldn't be conflated with woke-ism.

If the don't want to use PatF at the MK because they don't want to update the land to make it blend in, then there are other franchise possibilities.

Making attractions that are more representative of society is an honorable goal. And overdue in the parks for sure.

The attraction is literally full of animals. Animal tales with origins among persons of color.

If it was full of white characters, you could make that argument.

Animaniac93-98

the media and woke activists won’t let them quietly get away with that after they’ve already made that first announcement.

I mean, what's the worst that's going to happen? It trends on twitter for a day? People cancel trips they never booked to begin with?

The ride continues to operate on a daily basis on both coasts and people keep coming to the parks. Splash has never stopped them.

There's a huge mental disconnect between the online discourse surrounding the ride and what actually happens at the parks.

jt04

The attraction is literally full of animals. Animal tales with origins among persons of color.

If it was full of white characters, you could make that argument.

That was referring to all theme park attractions going forward not specifically the problems with Splash. For instance they could build an entirely new attraction featuring Tiana in DHS or Fantasyland. And Splash and the immediate area could be converted to a Critter Country miniland.

Disstevefan1

I mean, what's the worst that's going to happen? It trends on twitter for a day? People cancel trips they never booked to begin with?

The ride continues to operate on a daily basis on both coasts and people keep coming to the parks. Splash has never stopped them.

There's a huge mental disconnect between the online discourse surrounding the ride and what actually happens at the parks.
Disney made the announcement. That appeased the twitter mob. The twitter mob must move on as they are busy cancelling folks. After a while when the twitter mob notices it's not done yet, Disney will simply say it is delayed due to the pandemic.

Folks will continue to make trips to the park to ride Splash for the "last" time.

The Ebay pirates continue to buy loads of Splash merch to re sell.

Disney wins. Disney always wins...

The Aracuan Bird

The issues with Song of the South don’t go away if they do nothing. They don’t go away if they do what they’re doing either, but your average person (and even hardcore Disney fan,
if this board is anything to go by) doesn’t really understand what the problem is, just that there is a problem.

Simply put, they can’t just ignore it and leave things as is. Not so long as their only film adaptation of Brer Rabbit is the 1946 controversial film. But they can’t just shun it and pretend like it never existed either. You’re just delaying the inevitable. It will likely catch up to you at some point.

If literally anyone else does a Brer Rabbit adaptation or retrospective without the racism, then Disney’s narrative that it “can’t be done without racism” or that it “can’t be detached from Song of the South” falls flat and they will be in hotter water than they were last June. I guess they’re hoping that the cultural stories will die with their theme park ride.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Kate F

You shouldn’t have to tear down Splash to make the parks more inclusive. Last I checked people of all backgrounds like the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom