Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Phicinfan

Alrighty then. Since everyone is in such a chipper mood today I think I will take a break.

Was it the gold statues, amazing concept art or even more amazing pics of Harmonious that has everyone so edgy?

Break time. ⏰
From what I remember from the Moana thread, @marni1971 stated it was a certain someone who wanted to extend his legacy, rather than properly fix the park, which is sad for the park unfortunately.

Just trying to get past this so we can keep moving on...

TikibirdLand

Innoventions was literally "get someone else to pay out of their own pocket to entertain the guests". And it worked for decades.
The internet kinda ruined that concept. But, Disney could have pony'ed up the money to pay for some great attractions for these buildings. Even make one side a bar before sending guests on their drinking around the world. You know, a Cosmic Rays but with alcohol.

DreamfinderGuy

The internet kinda ruined that concept.
Not ruined. Maybe diminished, but not ruined. The internet can only do so much. You can make an impressive web page that tells you everything you need to know about a product, maybe even with some demo videos or something like that, but we're not quite to the point where it can mimic a trade show booth. Take demo kiosks for video game consoles in stores for example. They're just as popular now as they were in 1994. Your old Sega couldn't play the new games for the new one, which is where their Innoventions exhibit soared. People went in there to try out something you couldn't anywhere else, and if they liked it enough they bought it, keeping the cash flowing. That's just one example too, there's constant technological innovations happening out there to this day and I can't imagine that none of the names behind them would be willing to pony up some dough to showcase it in a world class theme park, and that's just one single concept on what to do with the CommuniCores.

TikibirdLand

Not ruined. Maybe diminished, but not ruined. The internet can only do so much. You can make an impressive web page that tells you everything you need to know about a product, maybe even with some demo videos or something like that, but we're not quite to the point where it can mimic a trade show booth. Take demo kiosks for video game consoles in stores for example. They're just as popular now as they were in 1994. Your old Sega couldn't play the new games for the new one, which is where their Innoventions exhibit soared. People went in there to try out something you couldn't anywhere else, and if they liked it enough they bought it, keeping the cash flowing. That's just one example too, there's constant technological innovations happening out there to this day and I can't imagine that none of the names behind them would be willing to pony up some dough to showcase it in a world class theme park, and that's just one single concept on what to do with the CommuniCores.
OK... Why haven't those companies come forward to do that? I see your point. Just not understanding why that didn't happen.

lazyboy97o

The internet kinda ruined that concept. But, Disney could have pony'ed up the money to pay for some great attractions for these buildings. Even make one side a bar before sending guests on their drinking around the world. You know, a Cosmic Rays but with alcohol.
Why did the internet not ruin movie-based experiences? I’m on my phone walking down the street and I could watch Moana right now.

DreamfinderGuy

OK... Why haven't those companies come forward to do that? I see your point. Just not understanding why that didn't happen.
Disney had actively been trying to close Innoventions by running out contracts and not signing any new ones since about 2015. It is not the fault of no interested parties, it's the lack of interest from Disney.

(The exception to this is the Spectaculab exhibit in Innoventions East. It was signed for one year as the sponsor had an interest and Disney knew that Glidden's contract for Colortopia was going to cause them to keep Innoventions open for that long anyway.)

PrinceCharming617

There's nothing we can do, Moana is coming. Sure it makes completely no sense, but this ones out of our hands. Just go with the wave guys.

It could be worse. There could be an IP like Tiana that has nothing do with nature. ... Oh wait that's right she may have a restaurant at the future Nature resort.

TikibirdLand

Disney had actively been trying to close Innoventions by running out contracts and not signing any new ones since about 2015. It is not the fault of no interested parties, it's the lack of interest from Disney.

(The exception to this is the Spectaculab exhibit in Innoventions East. It was signed for one year as the sponsor had an interest and Disney knew that Glidden's contract for Colortopia was going to cause them to keep Innoventions open for that long anyway.)
That makes this situation even sadder. Disney wanted to tear down Communicore.

DreamfinderGuy

That makes this situation even sadder. Disney wanted to tear down Communicore.
Not necessarily, they just wanted Innoventions gone. There were plans to keep the CommuniCore and put actual things in it again, but there wasn't a plan to preserve Innoventions. And honestly, who could blame them? Innoventions doesn't fit EPCOT anymore, and that's prime real estate to put something more timeless, relevant, family, and Disney into. The only benefit to keeping it around was they didn't have to pay out of pocket for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom