What villain is pure evil?

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Answer:
1624323572058.png

Orange Cat

Jafar - loyal subject to the king, second in charge even, who actually has insight into what might be best for the kingdom, watching spoiled teen princess (who doesn't even want to live in the palace) choose to marry some bonehead lying thief with zero understanding of economics or leadership (and also doesn't even want to be sultan)
If you’re interested the musical ”Twisted” goes for that approach

cookiee_munster

I really want to throw Madame Medusa in the mix. My first choice would be Maleficent, But there's something about Medusa (especially when I watch it now as an adult) that just makes me think "woah", the clear disregard for a child's welfare just for a diamond at the bottom of a pit is pretty downright awful...

Skibum1970

Scar for sure. Also Jafar.

I was thinking Scar. Shere Khan rates right up there as well and the wicked witch from Snow White. Of course, I hate the rewrites of villain histories. The Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty never showed any kindness or misunderstanding. Cruella de Vil was just weird (honestly, who wears a coat of Dalmatian puppy fur) but was mainly a villain towards PETA.

The original Shere Khan (voiced by the wonderful George Sanders) was urbane and evil at the same time, which makes for a great villain. The evil queen was both vain and ruthless, willing to murder her own stepdaughter to preserve her #1 ranking.

Heppenheimer

I was thinking Scar. Shere Khan rates right up there as well and the wicked witch from Snow White. Of course, I hate the rewrites of villain histories. The Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty never showed any kindness or misunderstanding. Cruella de Vil was just weird (honestly, who wears a coat of Dalmatian puppy fur) but was mainly a villain towards PETA.

The original Shere Khan (voiced by the wonderful George Sanders) was urbane and evil at the same time, which makes for a great villain. The evil queen was both vain and ruthless, willing to murder her own stepdaughter to preserve her #1 ranking.
George Sanders made a career of playing immoral but charming upper class cads. I'm not sure if the Disney version of Shere Khan was written that way, or just interpreted as such by Sanders, but either way, his performance is perfect.

aliceismad

Which, y'know, totally justifies his committing treason and attempting to murder Aladdin. And what indication is there that he knows what might be best for the kingdom?
I'm just sayin. If Disney can make a puppy-murdering crazy lady likable, I'm sure there's some sort of spin that could make other villains likable as well.

rreading

After loving cruella (a villain that prior to the movie would have in my mind been pure evil), i wondered what villain cant be saved. So far i have the mother in tangled and all the muppet villains.

I suppose that the point made in Cruella is that (hopefully) no one is truly born evil. That as life happens, their experiences lead them to make more and more evil choices until that's their core constitution. Making her youth appear sympathetic doesn't excuse her bad choices later.

We can clearly tell that she's truly a lost cause once she starts smoking! /s

But young Jafar, young Scar, even young Facilier and Frollo probably weren't terrible until after puberty. Honestly, a Facilier origin story could be compelling/mystical/spooky.

rreading

I think doing a young Scar story would be almost impossible without turning Mufasa into an antagonist.

I agree.

Were it a story about humans, it could probably be done delicately. Just because things don't work out for someone doesn't have to mean that someone had it out for them.

In the savannah, things probably aren't quite so nuanced.

aliceismad

I think doing a young Scar story would be almost impossible without turning Mufasa into an antagonist.
Maybe Scar thinks Mufasa is the antagonist, but it's really misplaced, e.g., a Loki vs. Thor situation? Idk. Just thinking out loud. It is hard to create sympathy for a guy who murdered his brother the way he did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom