Musicals (Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Others)

DCBaker

Premium Member

"This fall, Disney fans are invited to venture deep in the Hundred Acre Wood via Winnie the Pooh: The New Musical Adaptation, a brand-new adventure coming to Times Square’s Theatre Row (410 West 42nd Street) beginning October 21, 2021. Winnie the Pooh, Christopher Robin, Piglet, Eeyore, Kanga, Roo, Rabbit, Owl, and—of course—Tigger, too, will come to life on stage through stunning life-size puppetry. The beautifully-crafted musical stage adaptation will feature the Sherman Brothers’ classic Grammy Award®-winning music with additional songs by A.A. Milne.

Winnie the Pooh: The New Musical Adaptation is developed and presented by Jonathan Rockefeller, whose spectacular puppetry delighted audiences who experienced the acclaimed productions of The Very Hungry Caterpillar Show and Paddington Gets in a Jam. Rockefeller says, “I am thrilled to be entrusted to create a new classic for the stage, for new audiences as they join our adventure into the Hundred Acre Wood. And what a grand adventure!”

He continues, “Disney’s Winnie the Pooh material is so incredibly rich, that after more than half a century, I doubt there is anyone who hasn’t been profoundly moved or feels a personal connection with the wonderful characters of Pooh. The question we posed ourselves when creating this intimate musical adaptation was, ‘How do we bring Pooh from the screen and onto the stage in an entirely fresh and new way, yet one that still pays homage to the deep canon of Winnie the Pooh iconography?’ The answer was easy… well, conceptually easy, in theory… we needed to create incredible, brilliant, and amazing puppetry that makes it impossible to believe the characters aren’t real. Audiences can expect their hearts will be captivated by the characters, and their imaginations will soar with these life-size puppets."

In partnership with TodayTix.com, an exclusive ticket pre-sale for Winnie the Pooh: The New Musical Adaptation begins June 1, 2021, before tickets are available to the general public beginning June 14, 2021. To register for the pre-sale and to learn more about the new show, visit WinnieThePoohShow.com now."

BuddyThomas

Before Stephen Schwartz was writing Defying Gravity for Elphaba in WICKED, he was writing this masterpiece for a little known show called The Baker's Wife, in which the wife is questioning her relationship to the baker, and sings this brilliant story song about possibly leaving him. This song has been sung by Patti LuPone, Betty Buckley, and everyone in-between, but I think this interpretation is pretty solid.

BuddyThomas

So, folks, nothing about In The Heights yet?
Saw it Friday on the big screen. Loved every single minute of it. It’s 97% positive on Rotten Tomatoes but it had a disappointing opening, pulling in just over 11 Million at the box office when they were anticipating 20 Million. A Quiet Place 2 beat it for #1.

Still, the film is amazing and will be up for multiple Oscars.

Definitely see it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Saw it Friday on the big screen. Loved every single minute of it. It’s 97% positive on Rotten Tomatoes but it had a disappointing opening, pulling in just over 11 Million at the box office when they were anticipating 20 Million. A Quiet Place 2 beat it for #1.

Still, the film is amazing and will be up for multiple Oscars.

Definitely see it.
I'm sure it was hurt being being 'for free' on HBOmax. We'll have to see if they release any number.

It was good. I have some quibbles with the story and some character arcs. I enjoyed the multiple countermelody songs.

It certainly won't win any awards for choreography with the 2 second quick cuts in every dance scene. That was frustrating.

BuddyThomas

I'm sure it was hurt being being 'for free' on HBOmax. We'll have to see if they release any number.

It was good. I have some quibbles with the story and some character arcs. I enjoyed the multiple countermelody songs.

It certainly won't win any awards for choreography with the 2 second quick cuts in every dance scene. That was frustrating.
It didn't do well on HBO Max either.

https://deadline.com/2021/06/in-the-heights-hbo-max-viewership-box-office-opening-1234774865/

I usually have a problem with quick cuts on choreography, but I actually didn't notice that here. I loved the pool scene and the side of the building dance.

Anyway, I don't think there is a choreography award in film, but maybe there should be this year, since there are five musicals being released. In the Heights, Tick Tick Boom, Everybody's Talking About Jamie, Dear Evan Hansen, and West Side Story.

Weather_Lady

It didn't do well on HBO Max either.

https://deadline.com/2021/06/in-the-heights-hbo-max-viewership-box-office-opening-1234774865/

I usually have a problem with quick cuts on choreography, but I actually didn't notice that here. I loved the pool scene and the side of the building dance.

Anyway, I don't think there is a choreography award in film, but maybe there should be this year, since there are five musicals being released. In the Heights, Tick Tick Boom, Everybody's Talking About Jamie, Dear Evan Hansen, and West Side Story.
I watched the first half of In The Heights on HBO Max yesterday, and am looking forward to finishing it tonight.

I went into it unfamiliar with the original -- while I love musicals and have been in a dozen of them myself at the amateur community theater level, I'm woefully out of touch with many newer shows -- so I had no preconceived expectations. I'm really loving it! I do wish the camera work on the choreography was a little more steady and "clean" so I could really take it all in, but that's not really a complaint.

Last edited:

WowFactor

Ok folks, this post is off topic!

During the lockdown, I conceived a Imagineering project, blue sky of course, that I would like to share with you just for fun. My taste for musicals is present in the attraction based on Dr. Facilier (a live performance at Mad House). If you want to check it out, here's the LINK.

Hope you like it. ;)

AF_VV_Teaser.jpg

WowFactor

Pretty happy to have watched In The Heights yesterday. I agree that the editing of some scenes could be a little different so that we could have a more complete view of the beautiful choreographies. But I also have to praise the film for many other layers that are evidenced in the location details, costumes, props... Everything is fine tuned (casting, choreography, songs, story and Miranda).
Pure Joy! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom