News Magic Kingdom and Epcot Fireworks to Resume July 1st

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
But they need to add the shows to the Calendar.
Since when are Disney calendars accurate with regard to shows more than a few weeks out?

Remember: This board used to erupt several times a year when fireworks or EMHs didn't appear on the calendar: "They're getting rid of fireworks!! They're getting rid of EMH!!" And sure enough, as we got close to the dates, those events would appear on the schedule.

Long story short: Don't rely on Disney calendars for information. Even the week you're in WDW can have changes in the closing times.

havoc315

They can effectively increase capacity without impacting lines (of course we will see how this plays out) since, particularly in summer, relatively few people arrive at MK at 9 am and stay until close. They hope this will encourage some to show up late to stay out late (as used to be the case). Currently, crowds reach a breaking point in the early afternoon. They need to give more people a reason to stay out late.

Do you know how much they make from dinner in the park and from evening gift shop sales to pacify whiny kids?they don’t want people leaving the park at 5 and heading to Chick-Fil-A.
Agree 1000000% on the second point. They want to keep people on property, especially for dinner with more restaurants increasing capacity. Figure they can get an extra $15 to $75 of revenue for every guest who stays on property for dinner instead of leaving. [with extremely limited dining capacity, there was less reason to have night time entertainment. But as dining capacity increases, there is more reason to incentivize guests to stay on property through the night]

Whether it increases capacity.... I'm not so sure. The question is whether it gets people to shift their hours versus extend their hours. Then there is also the issue of additional guests attracted to the fireworks. (AP holders, locals, who weren't necessarily planning if there weren't fireworks. Also... guests of Animal Kingdom and DHS who might now park hop to MK at 8pm instead of going back to their hotel.)

I suspect the additional guests PLUS the extenders will significantly out-number the shifters.
The people who prefer morning will continue to be morning people. Though additional may now come back at night.
The commando all-day people will have extra reason to truly stay all day.
Maybe a few of the "late arrivers" will be incentivized to arrive a bit later.

Essentially, I suspect fireworks will increase hourly attendance more than it shifts it. Mornings about the same. Nights much heavier.

jrhwdw

Since when are Disney calendars accurate with regard to shows more than a few weeks out?

Remember: This board used to erupt several times a year when fireworks or EMHs didn't appear on the calendar: "They're getting rid of fireworks!! They're getting rid of EMH!!" And sure enough, as we got close to the dates, those events would appear on the schedule.

Long story short: Don't rely on Disney calendars for information. Even the week you're in WDW can have changes in the closing times.
I get your point, but I'm looking at it as Official Proof. Plus the Times has to be online somewhere since, I'm 95% guesing that we won't see the return of Colorful Times Guides on July 4th!

havoc315

All true. But as I'm about to book August dining.. I really wish I knew whether Animal Kingdom was really closing at 6 or whether it will be extended... whether DHS will really be 7 and whether Epcot is really closing at 9.
When a closing time changes from 10pm to 11pm, it doesn't really affect my planning. But when they are still shifting around early evening / dinner hours, it really makes planning hard. (I'd make a dinner reservation at AK at 5, if I could ride FOP after... but that wouldn't be possible with a 6pm closing time. I'd try to have cocktails at Oga's at 7pm... if the park was going to be open until 8... I'd plan a night-park hop to Epcot from 8-10pm.. etc).

ToTBellHop

Agree 1000000% on the second point. They want to keep people on property, especially for dinner with more restaurants increasing capacity. Figure they can get an extra $15 to $75 of revenue for every guest who stays on property for dinner instead of leaving. [with extremely limited dining capacity, there was less reason to have night time entertainment. But as dining capacity increases, there is more reason to incentivize guests to stay on property through the night]

Whether it increases capacity.... I'm not so sure. The question is whether it gets people to shift their hours versus extend their hours. Then there is also the issue of additional guests attracted to the fireworks. (AP holders, locals, who weren't necessarily planning if there weren't fireworks. Also... guests of Animal Kingdom and DHS who might now park hop to MK at 8pm instead of going back to their hotel.)

I suspect the additional guests PLUS the extenders will significantly out-number the shifters.
The people who prefer morning will continue to be morning people. Though additional may now come back at night.
The commando all-day people will have extra reason to truly stay all day.
Maybe a few of the "late arrivers" will be incentivized to arrive a bit later.

Essentially, I suspect fireworks will increase hourly attendance more than it shifts it. Mornings about the same. Nights much heavier.
I agree that it will end up equating to more people, which they want. I was more suggesting that it spreads people out more. In my experience, a relatively small number of people are nuts like us, who rope-drop and close down the parks. Fireworks will allow Disney to increase capacity and push more hoppers, building up an evening surge again, which hasn’t really been a thing in recent times. Longer hours with pyro also push on-site guests to the resort to swim and buy more food.

ToTBellHop

The "other site" is showing new lighting installed on trees around the hub. They're still pushing that the 50th is getting its own fireworks show that could replace HEA.
1623426641551.gif

jrhwdw

The "other site" is showing new lighting installed on trees around the hub. They're still pushing that the 50th is getting its own fireworks show that could replace HEA.

Oh I don't disagree
Point taken but the Trees have to mean something. Either They're in HEA, the 50th Tag or the Main Street Projection Show rumored last week.

If this needs move to the 50th Thread, Fine with me!

havoc315

I agree that it will end up equating to more people, which they want. I was more suggesting that it spreads people out more. In my experience, a relatively small number of people are nuts like us, who rope-drop and close down the parks. Fireworks will allow Disney to increase capacity and push more hoppers, building up an evening surge again, which hasn’t really been a thing in recent times. Longer hours with pyro also push on-site guests to the resort to swim and buy more food.

Sounds about right. Though I really think it's hard to generalize about touring styles.
The number of rope droppers is partially dependent on time of year and time of rope drop. Far more people will show up for a 9 or 10 am rope drop than a 7 or 8am...

Speaking for my family: We are going back this summer for the first time in over 4 years. Our kids have gone from adolescents to full teens in that time. I believe this will greatly impact our touring. We used to always concentrate on the mornings. We liked Epcot fireworks because they were relatively early (MK fireworks were often at 10pm while Epcot was 9), and if we stayed at the Beach Club, we could watch Epcot fireworks and still be in bed by 9:30. But we did nights in the other parks far less often, because we didn't like staying up toooooo late.
Now that my kids are older, I suspect we will want to close down a park every night. Though I'm really hoping Fantasmic returns by August, so we have more reason to mix up the nights. But I'm still not going to be "nuts" and tour all day. For me, it may indeed be a bit of shifting. We may skip a couple mornings. Even if we don't skip the mornings, we may shorten them. (Especially without FP... old plan was "rope drop" the first 90 minutes, then a couple FPs... for a solid 3-4 hour morning before going back to the resort. Without FPs, I could see mornings being under 2 hours).

While I'm not a fan of the FP+ system... if you really want to spread attendance more evenly through the day, FP+ succeeds there, I would think. Guests have a ticket "for a certain time." "We don't need to rope drop for Mine Train, we have a 11am FP".... "it's noon.. I'm tired.. but we can't go back to the hotel yet, we have a Slinky Dog FP coming up at 1"

doctornick

Point taken but the Trees have to mean something. Either They're in HEA, the 50th Tag or the Main Street Projection Show rumored last week.

If this needs move to the 50th Thread, Fine with me!

Yeah, I though that the "Main Street Project show" rumor was confirmed already by insiders here, so that's probably what the lights are for - in preparation for that for the 50th. Probably not directly tied to fireworks in any way though perhaps they could have them on at night regardless.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So no fireworks at Disney = they'll not bring fireworks back as it's money saved
Looks like fireworks are returning = they're only bringing them back to make money

:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom