News Ohana reopening July 9th

Parker in NYC

I think that the strong emotional reactions many are having reflect their feelings about that larger trend: it's not really about a few noodles. They're frustrated that WDW seems to be endlessly subtracting, trimming down, and diminishing experiences that were originally built upon a promise of quality and abundance.
You're never going to convince the pixie dusters. Never.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
...or just mourning food they loved.

I'm not trying to be overly dramatic, but I was trying to think this morning of a single WDW restaurant menu overhaul in the last 10 years (that is, since we made our first trip as a family) that resulted in an improvement to food quality and variety rather than a downgrade. Granted, we're talking about a total of only 6 trips, although each involved extensive research into menus and food options. Maybe others can suggest some examples of improvements, but I can't think of one.

Even over our approximately 4 dinners at 'Ohana during that time, there were cuts and negative changes to the menu. Sweet-and-sour chicken skewers and lettuce wraps went the way of the buffalo with no replacement, and the fan-favorite honey lime salad dressing was subbed out for a vinaigrette. Meanwhile, prices went up 30%, from $42/adult in 2014 to $55 by 2020. While none of those menu changes are a big deal in the grand scheme of things, they fit the "declining by degrees" and "charging more while delivering less" patterns many have observed.

I think that the strong emotional reactions many are having reflect their feelings about that larger trend: it's not really about a few noodles. They're frustrated that WDW seems to be endlessly subtracting, trimming down, and diminishing experiences that were originally built upon a promise of quality and abundance.
...that’s the dining plan. That was part of the strategy and it was executed brilliantly. Probably not as much as “free dining”...but close

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Doom and Gloomers and Pixie Dusters are always going to go to extremes over changes like this.
Either Disney is ripping them off at gunpoint or They're completely ignoring the fact that Disney IS ripping them off.

I consider myself somewhere in the middle. I am a Doom Duster or perhaps a Pixie Gloomer!!???

With that being said, there is going to be a breaking point for all of this.

I haven't stopped going to WDW, but because of a better value/experience I have started visiting Universal on days I used to stay at WDW.

I haven't stopped booking dining reservations, but because of changes I have stopped going to a LOT of restaurants that used to be "must dos" for me.

I love (as all of us here do) WDW and still go --- because at the moment, it still hits the mark without any real drop off in my or my family's enjoyment.

HOWEVER these continued changes, which I 100% agree have historically been for the worse, are bound to create enough of a diminishing return on my dollar vs. enjoyment and at some point, I just won't go anymore.

Will that happen before it's time for me to take a dirt nap? That, I don't know, but it's important that if I am on this side of the ground that when that time comes, I vote with my wallet. It's the only thing that works and is what every one of us that have a problem with these changes that reach that breaking point should do.

Until then I understand that it is still kind of fun (most of the time) :) to come here and complain with like minded people.

Mr. Moderate

...or just mourning food they loved.

I'm not trying to be overly dramatic, but I was trying to think this morning of a single WDW restaurant menu overhaul in the last 10 years (that is, since we made our first trip as a family) that resulted in an improvement to food quality and variety rather than a downgrade. Granted, we're talking about a total of only 6 trips, although each involved extensive research into menus and food options. Maybe others can suggest some examples of improvements, but I can't think of one.

Even over our approximately 4 dinners at 'Ohana during that time, there were cuts and negative changes to the menu. Sweet-and-sour chicken skewers and lettuce wraps went the way of the buffalo with no replacement, and the fan-favorite honey lime salad dressing was subbed out for a vinaigrette. Meanwhile, prices went up more than 30%, from $42/adult in 2014 to $56 by 2020. While none of those menu changes are a big deal in the grand scheme of things, they fit the "declining by degrees" and "charging more while delivering less" patterns many have observed.

Thank you and well said! Your statement above is spot on for me and my thoughts exactly. Especially "the declining by degrees" comments which Disney has been doing for several years now and is their SOP now. I wish more of the diehard fans here and and on other Disney related boards, could open their eyes to this reality. I was a diehard once, before opening my eyes to that dreaded reality, and stayed at the Poly many times in the past 20 years with the mandatory dinners at Ohana. Which were pretty good back in the day, but the decline by degrees finally got to the point where it just wasn't worth the price or the hassle of getting a dining reservation.

Good job on your post above and thank you!

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Doom and Gloomers and Pixie Dusters are always going to go to extremes over changes like this.
Either Disney is ripping them off at gunpoint or They're completely ignoring the fact that Disney IS ripping them off.

I consider myself somewhere in the middle. I am a Doom Duster or perhaps a Pixie Gloomer!!???

I haven't stopped going to WDW, but because of a better value/experience I have started visiting Universal on days I used to stay at WDW.

I haven't stopped booking dining reservations, but because of changes I have stopped going to a LOT of restaurants that used to be "must dos" for me.

I love (as all of us here do) WDW and still go --- because at the moment, it still hits the mark without any real drop off in my or my family's enjoyment.

HOWEVER these continued changes, which I 100% agree have historically been for the worse, are bound to create enough of a diminishing return on my dollar vs. enjoyment and at some point, I just won't go anymore.

Will that happen before it's time for me to take a dirt nap? That, I don't know, but it's important that if I am on this side of the ground that when that time comes, I vote with my wallet. It's the only thing that works and is what every one of us that have a problem with these changes that reach that breaking point should do.

Until then I understand that it is still kind of fun (most of the time) :) to come here and complain with like minded people.

I have an honest question...

...will you be my friend? 🥰

ToTBellHop

Y’all be like

1623347883817.gif

Weather_Lady

Also should say that this almost always works for me. Never choose “dinner,” as in my experience it almost always says not available (for most restaurants). When you choose a specific time, suddenly there are tables available. Not sure why that is, must be some kind of glitch in their software.
It is! I remember noticing the same glitch when I last made ADRs... in August of 2019! Guess they've been a little slow to fix it. ;)

Mark48

I wasjust on MDE and called up the restaurants. Ohana was not listed. I know from all of you it is available. What am I doing wrong here ?

Fsunolekrw

What we are currently and have been seeing over some years now has happened to plenty of great companies before. The original driving force of the company is the visionary (in this case Walt). Their vision leads all decision making and the accountants job is to find the money, within reason, to make that vision come to fruition. Making money is secondary to creating something great, something special.

After the visionary passes sometimes there is someone who was taken under the wing of the visionary to be groomed and carries on their vision to their best interpretation of what the visionary would have wanted. Generally the accountants go along with this leader as they were handpicked by the original visionary. Producing magnificent content is still the top priority although people start seeing the money that is being and can be made if things are done (sacrificing quality and innovation mainly) differently.

As time passes though everyone from the old guard eventually retires and/or passes on. The next group that comes into power only sees the money that can be made and will do anything to maximize that at the expense of everything else. Everything else being what made the company and what it produced great to begin with.

The moral of the story is the pencil pushers should never be in charge of anything. If so everything will be cut and trimmed for the sake of the almighty dollar. When money becomes the number one driving factor then the magnificence of the accomplishments of the visionary will be lost and will gradually erode over time. The pencil pushers sole purpose (despite what they might protest) is to get the visionary what they need in order to fulfill their vision.

Or as Walt told the woman who was going to make the outfits for the animatronics in IASW when she told him it was going to be expensive, “I’ve got a building full of people who’s job is to find the money, just do it.”

Legendary

We originally booked Ohana without knowing the price. We were open to trying some new items but after seeing that it’s $58 we canceled. There are much better dining options out there for a more reasonable price. Nothing on the menu stands out to justify that price. It should really be in the $39 range like Crystal Palace.

fgmnt

My family always liked it too the point where we would try to hit it up every other time we went there. I think if these menu changes end up sucking, it might be enough for me to convince them to drop it. People have commented on how a menu change has really been for the better in the resort and I agree. I'm reminded for some reason of the multiple failed menus at Garden Grille. I think at one point they went a la carte only.

TrojanUSC

I’ve never seen managers explain to people why they can’t get into park faire, cape may, narcossee’s etc...no matter how much the suite they checked into cost.

nope...haven’t seen it.

Indeed one of the (now many) reasons Disney "deluxe" hotels are kind of embarrassing from a guest service standpoint is unless you book your dining reservations far out, there is no availability at the hotel which you are staying. Hope you don't sleep in and want a leisurely breakfast on the spur of the moment, better plan for fast food.

The entire reason why The Wave exists is because conventioneers (and more importantly, the people planning the conventions) were continuously upset that there was not a place to eat at the hotel where they were staying that didn't require 180 day reservations.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

Phicinfan

I wasjust on MDE and called up the restaurants. Ohana was not listed. I know from all of you it is available. What am I doing wrong here ?
On MDE if you go toward bottom of list it shows as closed but opening July 9th. Start process to reserve space and page over on calendar and it shows dates that are open

As of 9 AM this morning, there was no dinner availability at Ohana from 7/27-7/30.
I just checked for my trip end of July, and 31st, and Aug 1,2 show no dinner availability. I wonder if that is booked or they just have not opened it up yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom