News Ohana reopening July 9th

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes. But that $15 per seat they reduced it by represents several million dollars per year. The financial benefit is far and away greater than expense. Thats why they have ruined.. eh “enhanced” so many dining experiences with characters lately. Tusker House, Artist Point, Trattoria…. They will bring characters back as soon as they reasonably can so they can justify that price increase again.
...oh I know the shell game.

5’1” people are GOLD...maybe platinum at today’s prices? 🤔

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Seriously... not everything that's changed because of COVID is some conspiracy cost cutting that they wanted to do anyways and now they have the excuse. They have legitimate operational, budgetary, and personnel nightmares they're dealing with right now.

it’s not a conspiracy...they’re going to Jack the prices of those character meals (more than usual)

bad management, bad pattern, mark it down

ToTBellHop

Seriously... not everything that's changed because of COVID is some conspiracy cost cutting that they wanted to do anyways and now they have the excuse. They have legitimate operational, budgetary, and personnel nightmares they're dealing with right now.
Exactly. They need the capacity, so they moved up Poly’s reopening. But you can’t reopen a deluxe resort without adequate dining. This is the best they can manage for now.

GimpYancIent

Exactly. They need the capacity, so they moved up Poly’s reopening. But you can’t reopen a deluxe resort without adequate dining. This is the best they can manage for now.
Due to the expectations and standards of the "Deluxe" resort, as you say can not open without adequate dining, it would then be common sense for POLY to hold off on opening. The dining offering for Ohana is a downgrade from the established standard thus not adequate for Poly.

ToTBellHop

Due to the expectations and standards of the "Deluxe" resort, as you say can not open without adequate dining, it would then be common sense for POLY to hold off on opening. The dining offering for Ohana is a downgrade from the established standard thus not adequate for Poly.
If you are speaking to the removal of characters from the dining, that’s already occurred at other deluxe resorts. The Grand, Wilderness, Y&BC, and BoardWalk don‘t have their character dining.

surfsupdon

Having troubles booking dining today. This is my 60day mark, but the app/site seem not to be working correctly. I am not even trying for Ohana, but figured I'd say there are glitches today.

Anyone else having problems?

GimpYancIent

If you are speaking to the removal of characters from the dining, that’s already occurred at other deluxe resorts. The Grand, Wilderness, Y&BC, and BoardWalk don‘t have their character dining.
It ain't characters, though that would enhance the experience and give value to it, it's the food and presentation. Ohana was unique, no longer.

peter11435

As he said… they need the resort capacity. So holding off on opening isn’t really ideal.

I realize many of us will mourn these hopefully temporary losses and changes, but this is a bit hyperbolic. And truly there is nothing currently o open (park, attraction, or resort) that is not operating below standard due to current events.

dmw

In the Parks
No
"Adequate dining"... that is too funny! Ohana never provided adequate dining for guests staying at the Poly. Those ADRs go so fast, it's not even worth listing Ohana as a dining option for Poly guests. We stayed at the Poly once and could not get in - even same day stand by. The one time we did get an ADR (thanks, Touring Plans!), we were staying at POFQ on that trip. We did enjoy the dinner, but not enough to justify the price.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
bad management, bad pattern, mark it down
Alternatively: Global pandemic. Once in a century. No precedent for this. Literally uncharted territory. The opposite of a pattern.

"Adequate dining"... that is too funny! Ohana never provided adequate dining for guests staying at the Poly. Those ADRs go so fast, it's not even worth listing Ohana as a dining option for Poly guests. We stayed at the Poly once and could not get in - even same day stand by. The one time we did get an ADR (thanks, Touring Plans!), we were staying at POFQ on that trip. We did enjoy the dinner, but not enough to justify the price.
Deluxe resorts hold tables for walk-up guests of the resort. Few know this.

Weather_Lady

Menus change 🤷‍♂️

People are hating food they haven’t tried.
...or just mourning food they loved.

I'm not trying to be overly dramatic, but I was trying to think this morning of a single WDW restaurant menu overhaul in the last 10 years (that is, since we made our first trip as a family) that resulted in an improvement to food quality and variety rather than a downgrade. Granted, we're talking about a total of only 6 trips, although each involved extensive research into menus and food options. Maybe others can suggest some examples of improvements, but I can't think of one.

Even over our approximately 4 dinners at 'Ohana during that time, there were cuts and negative changes to the menu. Sweet-and-sour chicken skewers and lettuce wraps went the way of the buffalo with no replacement, and the fan-favorite honey lime salad dressing was subbed out for a vinaigrette. Meanwhile, prices went up more than 30%, from $42/adult in 2014 to $56 by 2020. While none of those menu changes are a big deal in the grand scheme of things, they fit the "declining by degrees" and "charging more while delivering less" patterns many have observed.

I think that the strong emotional reactions many are having reflect their feelings about that larger trend: it's not really about a few noodles. They're frustrated that WDW seems to be endlessly subtracting, trimming down, and diminishing experiences that were originally built upon a promise of quality and abundance.

Last edited:

Mark48

I agree with your premise concerning opening with adequate dining. The restaurant I am watching is Artist Point at WL . To me that place has become a barometer on character dining returning. A high demand restaurant that relies on the character experience as a major draw. I was shocked at 1st when the WL re-opened without it buy I have settled on the character " Problem " being at the root of it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Deluxe resorts hold tables for walk-up guests of the resort. Few know this.

lol...they really don’t. Not only that...they staff down to the reservations now.

you have a certain naïveté about what people are buying sometimes...

if the tables fill...they fill. You can “squeeze” a table or slot here or there...but it’s not a backstop. It is in true upper end hotels that Disney does not operate and no one calls them on.

have you ever worked in one? I hear that it happens quite a bit...can’t pack what you don’t have - which is space and staffing.
Red and white one.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

it’s always tough use “point a” as justification for “point c” without considering the long “b” proof in the middle

they canned Pooh at Olivia’s too... but it was $16.99/$9.99 at the time...there were no hard reservations...there weren’t 10,000 DVC units and 55,000,000 gate clicks then...

it’s hard to strip off all the details and changes and then chalk it up to “things change”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom