Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

celluloid

No, it is a commentary on the state of WDI design....

I see that you added to his quote and I misread it as if you were asking him to expand. I did not see the "I" there when I read your post. I figured you wanted him to elaborate on the thought. I see now. And I would whole heartedly agree with the current climate of design.

I am also sorry for thinking there was any humor intended.

JoeCamel

I see that you added to his quote and I misread it as if you were asking him to expand. I did not see the "I" there when I read your post. I figured you wanted him to elaborate on the thought. I see now. And I would whole heartedly agree with the current climate of design.

I am also sorry for thinking there was any humor intended.
Tough to joke about mistakes that will be around for decades

celluloid

Tough to joke about mistakes that will be around for decades

Yeah, but in the big picture they deserved to be ragged on. Don't take it too personally and don't let it eat you alive and still laugh about it. It is becoming pretty obvious and as much as I love theme parks and am frustrated with one company's major change in direction, there are so many other themed entertainment companies doing things better. We are just in another slump and the average guest starts to notice the difference. Then comes good changes.

KIGhostGuy

If anyone wants to know how to do a modern take on a silly boat ride, check out Cedar Point's newly opened Snake River Expedition. For a smaller budget and resources, they sure do have creative gags and pacing. I am of the opinion they have done so better than Disney has done on the Jungle Cruise redos. It is like a slice of the Great Movie Ride aspects and good spieling too.

It’s great seeing love for Cedar Point on these boards! Cedar Fair as a company has really been on a roll recently with new attraction installs. Orion at Kings Island, Snake River Expedition at Cedar Point, South Bay Shores at Great America—all thoughtful, well-themed additions to each of their parks with a ton of charm and heart packed into the design of each of them. Cedar Fair’s MO lately is to bring out the history and local heritage each of their parks have, and it’s really working wonders!

celluloid

It’s great seeing love for Cedar Point on these boards! Cedar Fair as a company has really been on a roll recently with new attraction installs. Orion at Kings Island, Snake River Expedition at Cedar Point, South Bay Shores at Great America—all thoughtful, well-themed additions to each of their parks with a ton of charm and heart packed into the design of each of them. Cedar Fair’s MO lately is to bring out the history and local heritage each of their parks have, and it’s really working wonders!

It is partially on my mind because I am leaving soon for my first trip ever to King's Island and Cedar Point on a big Ohio trip. Taking my wife and kids. All of our first time going to Cedar Fair Parks period. Full disclosure. I have not seen but skimming points and only a couple of that attraction, because I want to go into it blindly. So happy more family and theming are returning to there as I am a bit familiar with the history of teh park.

KIGhostGuy

It is partially on my mind because I am leaving soon for my first trip ever to King's Island and Cedar Point on a big Ohio trip. Taking my wife and kids. All of our first time going to Cedar Fair Parks period. Full disclosure. I have not seen but skimming points and only a couple of that attraction, because I want to go into it blindly. So happy more family and theming are returning to there as I am a bit familiar with the history of teh park.
I would recommend checking out the new book Kings Island: A Ride Through Time. It’s the first-ever Kings Island history book, and it really tells the inside story of how that park has evolved, especially its design philosophy.

seascape

There may be love towards Cedar Fair on these boards. It wasn't that long ago everyone was saying how much better they were than either Seaworld or Six Flags. However, Wall Street disagrees as their market cap is third of the 3 regional themepark publicly traded companies.

celluloid

There may be love towards Cedar Fair on these boards. It wasn't that long ago everyone was saying how much better they were than either Seaworld or Six Flags. However, Wall Street disagrees as their market cap is third of the 3 regional themepark publicly traded companies.

Not to hijack the thread, but one thing I do know is that they treated salaried employees with careers there better than any other company I know of. Universal a close second, but the stories I have heard from people that work there have been amazing and how they were treated and taken care of during and since the shut downs of 2020. I went on a weight loss mission since January to hopefully fit on Millennium Force and others with my son. I am excited.

Movielover

Enjoy! Both parks are old and rich with history. You can really see the advice given to the original Kings Island designers from the Disney crew, especially with International Street, Kings Island Entrance.

Not to hijack the thread, but one thing I do know is that they treated salaried employees with careers there better than any other company I know of. Universal a close second, but the stories I have heard from people that work there have been amazing and how they were treated and taken care of during and since the shut downs of 2020. I went on a weight loss mission since January to hopefully fit on Millennium Force and others with my son. I am excited.

My first job was a ride operater at Kings Island 2010 - 2012. It was a fantastic time. So many fun memories. I worked on The Rollercoaster Formally Known As Top Gun and would always make Top Gun references whenever I could.

celluloid

Enjoy! Both parks are old and rich with history. You can really see the advice given to the original Kings Island designers from the Disney crew, especially with International Street, Kings Island Entrance.

My first job was a ride operater at Kings Island 2010 - 2012. It was a fantastic time. So many fun memories. I worked on The Rollercoaster Formally Known As Top Gun and would always make Top Gun references whenever I could.
I am excited to take my son on The Bat. Arrow Suspendeds are treasures. I miss Big Bad Wolf at BGW.

yensidtlaw1969

Sometimes it’s racism, but I think some people on this site are made irrational by the thought of any change at all. I gave up on arguing with people on the MMRR thread who are upset that TGMR was replaced by a ride where “my immersion was broken because they didn’t even bother to theme the ceilings they just painted them black”. Which of course was never an issue on any other Disney ride like Soarin. Or POTC. Or Small World. Or I dunno The Great Movie Ride:

View attachment 562411

Jungle Cruise changed but also is still the same sorry folks.
Off topic, but the ceiling in the Great Movie Ride WAS themed - it was designed to look like a Studio Soundstage Grid. It was meant to feel like you were onstage as the movies were being shot, with some magic over the course of the ride where elements of the films came to life and interacted with your guide.

But as I say, off topic.

I'm gonna pass on sharing my opinion of the overall refurb, since the changes so far seem neither significantly better nor significantly worse than what was there. At least not yet.

Last edited:

celluloid

Off topic, but the ceiling in the Great Movie Ride WAS themed - it was designed to look like a Studio Soundstage Grid. It was meant to feel like you were onstage as the movies were being shot, with some magic over the course of the ride where elements of the films came to life and interacted with your guide.

But as I say, off topic.

So far the Jungle Cruise updates get a pass from me, they seem neither significantly better nor significantly worse than what was there. At least not yet.

And that is what we all want out of a million plus dollars of enhancements isn't it?

I think the boat with the Chimps will be the closest thing to a scene improvement.

yensidtlaw1969

And that is what we all want out of a million plus dollars of enhancements isn't it?

I think the boat with the Chimps will be the closest thing to a scene improvement.
I meant "pass" more as I'm passing on coming to a decided conclusion about the refurb, since so far its pretty much a wash. In this case I'll wait until it's totally done to share how I feel about.

I didn't mean it as "I give it a passing grade because it's no better or worse so far". Reading it back I did word it weirdly. That's not what I want from a project like this at ALL.

celluloid

I meant "pass" more as I'm passing on coming to a decided conclusion about the refurb, since so far its pretty much a wash. In this case I'll wait until it's totally done to share how I feel about.

I didn't mean it as "I give it a passing grade because it's no better or worse so far". Reading it back I did word it weirdly. That's not what I want from a project like this at ALL.

It was not meant to target you. Many feel mutually the same about it. Sorry, I was targeting the the overall nature of the project, specifically the scenes that did not seem to really take the opportunity to upgrade the quality or maintenance as well. My bolding your quote and comment was an attempt at emphasizing how much I agree. My apologies.

castlecake2.0

Off topic but I worked for cedar fair at Canada’s Wonderland, mostly at Behemoth, but was cross trained on former Top Gun as well (now flight deck). It was 10 years ago now but I remember that there was always stress revolving around the load platform lowering and raising and id you needed to release one persons seat belt you had to recheck ALL the seatbelts. I preferred behemoth lol

Movielover

Off topic but I worked for cedar fair at Canada’s Wonderland, mostly at Behemoth, but was cross trained on former Top Gun as well (now flight deck). It was 10 years ago now but I remember that there was always stress revolving around the load platform lowering and raising and id you needed to release one persons seat belt you had to recheck ALL the seatbelts. I preferred behemoth lol
Oof, Vekoma SLC... I can feel my head banging already lol. Flight Deck (Now The Bat) at Kings Island is a Arrow Suspended coaster, and actually the last one ever built. Fitting since Kings Island also had the first one ever built, also called The Bat. But it only lasted accouple years due to major design flaws.

Behemoth is a great coaster though, my final year at KI I was transferred to Diamondback, KI's B&M Hyper coaster and was there during the annual Diamondback/Intimidator/Behemoth capacity challenge.

yensidtlaw1969

It was not meant to target you. Many feel mutually the same about it. Sorry, I was targeting the the overall nature of the project, specifically the scenes that did not seem to really take the opportunity to upgrade the quality or maintenance as well. My bolding your quote and comment was an attempt at emphasizing how much I agree. My apologies.
No worries - ultimately we agree, and I think it's generally pretty reasonable to say that Disney should be taking this opportunity to make the most of this investment.

I think even people who don't think changes to the ride were necessary can probably agree that if they're going to do it then they should be aiming high with the new elements.

well the heads on the canoes where the new boat & bait shack is now have been removed, didn't expect that to happen, but it does make sense why.

aside from that, i saw a lot of people online go nuts at the entomologists bag, because of SEA, don't blame them, the new characters look great. I think where the natives once were is where the kwango kate shipwreck is gonna be with all the chimps, and the headhunters ambush will have the crates of insects, I honestly was thinking that it was gonna go there too.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom