Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

UNCgolf

I know it's not complete yet but not really liking this reworked boats scene. Looks like a last minute fix more so than an realized concept brought to fruition.

I had the same thought. The skippers on the pole scene is great, but the boat scene looks bad and the whole concept seems off. I think they'd have been better off removing the boats entirely and coming up with something new there.

GimpYancIent

I had the same thought. The skippers on the pole scene is great, but the boat scene looks bad and the whole concept seems off. I think they'd have been better off removing the boats entirely and coming up with something new there.
Come on, everything was going just fine earlier w all the ape concepts, soooo, just add a few apes.

ToTBellHop

Suddenly taking a ride with a plastic snake seriously?

People clinging on to racism with their last claw really need to let go.

Is it really unbelievable that Sam might be expanding business in the jungle?

This ride has been ridiculous for decades. You either like it or you don’t. But, you are just being difficult suddenly criticizing its level of realism.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

This ride has been ridiculous for decades. You either like it or you don’t. But, you are just being difficult suddenly criticizing its level of realism.
Sometimes it’s racism, but I think some people on this site are made irrational by the thought of any change at all. I gave up on arguing with people on the MMRR thread who are upset that TGMR was replaced by a ride where “my immersion was broken because they didn’t even bother to theme the ceilings they just painted them black”. Which of course was never an issue on any other Disney ride like Soarin. Or POTC. Or Small World. Or I dunno The Great Movie Ride:

02A85A59-A4D8-4274-89AB-C8B57BBA90C8.png

Jungle Cruise changed but also is still the same sorry folks.

BaconPancakes

I mean I didn’t find the WdW version racist, but the animatronic at DL might be another story. And even that I wouldn’t consider racist per say, but maybe not in the best taste.

ToTBellHop

I mean I didn’t find the WdW version racist, but the animatronic at DL might be another story. And even that I wouldn’t consider racist per say, but maybe not in the best taste.
Racism in JC has been peeled off like layers of an onion over the years (look for pics from the original in the ‘50s…eek). They are finally just throwing the onion out and giving us a woke organic one! At least it is a high quality one.

I hope they put this level of effort into Frog Mountain.

Sir_Cliff

Completely agree. Seems like something from a different time and place. More like a vignette meant to represent present day Florida or the Caribbean than anywhere that is supposed to be represented on the Jungle Cruise.

As you say, though, the skippers on the pole scene all looks good!

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Sometimes it’s racism, but I think some people on this site are made irrational by the thought of any change at all. I gave up on arguing with people on the MMRR thread who are upset that TGMR was replaced by a ride where “my immersion was broken because they didn’t even bother to theme the ceilings they just painted them black”. Which of course was never an issue on any other Disney ride like Soarin. Or POTC. Or Small World. Or I dunno The Great Movie Ride:

View attachment 562411

Jungle Cruise changed but also is still the same sorry folks.

Great Movie Ride was designed that way on purpose; they're soundstage ceilings. It was intentional. Regardless, I think you either misunderstood their argument about MMRR or you're deliberately misconstruing it. If I remember the argument correctly, it's more about the way it looks with the projections compared to physical sets. Not doing anything to the ceilings is more noticeable with projections.

Anyways, I'm happy about the Jungle Cruise changes in general (the boat scene looks bad). I'd still prefer they demolish it and build something else there, but this looks like an improvement.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not suggesting MMRR is a disaster because of the ceilings or anything close to that. It looks good; just should have been an addition instead of a replacement. I'm only saying I understood the point they were making and I do think it's far more noticeable on MMRR than it is on a ride like POTC or Small World, likely due to the generally 2D nature that abruptly stops. With the three dimensions of physical sets, you're less likely to notice because you're not looking at everything on one plane (for the most part).

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

Great Movie Ride was designed that way on purpose; they're soundstage ceilings. It was intentional. Regardless, either you misunderstood their argument about MMRR or you're deliberately misconstruing it.

Anyways, I'm happy about the Jungle Cruise changes in general (the boat scene looks bad). I'd still prefer they demolish it and build something else there, but this looks like an improvement.
Easy! You are big on demolishing. Enough demolishing is occurring as is and what is being built is a 50/50 on being any kind of impressive. I believe the JC is being worked on and It will be interesting to see the final product, so far it has all been rather comical.

UNCgolf

Easy! You are big on demolishing. Enough demolishing is occurring as is and what is being built is a 50/50 on being any kind of impressive. I believe the JC is being worked on and It will be interesting to see the final product, so far it has all been rather comical.

Am I? I think JC is the only ride I've advocated demolishing and completely replacing because I think the land could be used more efficiently -- and it would also open up easier access to the expansion plot. It's also kind of redundant since Animal Kingdom exists.

There are other things I would happily see torn down and replaced (all of Toy Story Land, for one) but that's just because I don't like them. While I don't like JC, I wouldn't be so strongly in favor of replacing it if not for the existence of Animal Kingdom and the fact it could open up a lot of land for new use.

GimpYancIent

Am I? I think JC is the only ride I've advocated demolishing and completely replacing because I think the land could be used more efficiently -- and it would also open up easier access to the expansion plot. It's also kind of redundant since Animal Kingdom exists.

There are other things I would happily see torn down and replaced (all of Toy Story Land, for one) but that's just because I don't like them. While I don't like JC, I wouldn't be so strongly in favor of replacing it if not for the existence of Animal Kingdom and the fact it could open up a lot of land for new use.
Just curious, maybe, you would like to see some king of in-park hotel there instead? Maybe a DVC property?

UNCgolf

Just curious, maybe, you would like to see some king of in-park hotel there instead? Maybe a DVC property?

Good god no.

How about a couple of E ticket attractions, or at least one D and one E, along with another restaurant?

They'd have to tear down Swiss Family too, though, which would be unfortunate.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Completely agree. Seems like something like a different time and place. More like a vignette meant to represent present day Florida or the Caribbean than anywhere that is supposed to be represented on the Jungle Cruise.

As you say, though, the skippers on the pole scene all looks good!
Exactly this! That's what's off. It's too modern. Definitely not in step with the rest of the jungle cruise scenes. Looks like a tiki bar theme for a backyard pool. The signage is severely anachronistic.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Consistent with Chapek's background in merchandising, anything remotely controversial is to be replaced by a charicature of a store. Hence, Pirate Red selling chickens, a pygmy fishing supplies stand, and Trader Sam's Gift Shop.

I fully expect Splash Mountain to be torn down and replaced by a P&tF restaurant.

Magic Feather

The only new scene that feels off to me is the pygmy beach replacement. I understand the "tacky gift shop" when it is a part of the return to civilization, but when you just made your way "deeper and deeper into the jungle," it feels a bit off. They really just needed to add the pirhanas here and call is a day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom