Trouble in paradise officially?

DisneyHead123

@DisneyHead123 - 100k is certainly far more reasonable to look at in terms of teacher salaries, but... being the teacher that I am... I did a decent bit of research into teacher salary scales around the country today and found very few districts that had a six-figure salary at the top of their scale. Maybe 15-20 districts across the country (almost all in New York or California), but that's a pretty small percentage when there are over 100,000 school districts in the country. I accept with your premise, but teachers making over 100k are still pretty few and far between in the US.
Not to get too far off topic, but look in and around major cities - Chicago, Boston, DC, etc. Like I said in my comment, this is only true of teachers in wealthier areas, but not unheard of.

Goofyernmost

Pricing is based on supply and demand.

Prices go up as long as people are willing to pay and attendance doesn't decline.
Yes, but we are not always talking just about supply and demand. There is another thing called a mission statement that is a measure of what audience companies are looking to support. Attendance can go up and still block our a whole lot of people that once spent a lot, if not most, of their expendable income at WDW. You can have a mission that seeks to provide a quality product to people that aren't dripping in diamonds because that is what Walt's company wanted to do. Provide a place where parents and children can have fun together. Not just rich parents and children. Disney in their quest to see just how much they can get away with have cut out the people that Walt was trying to attract. The rich, however, can afford other options and will tire of Disney after awhile in my opinion and head back to the French Riviera in their yachts.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Yes, but we are not always talking just about supply and demand. There is another thing called a mission statement that is a measure of what audience companies are looking to support. Attendance can go up and still block our a whole lot of people that once spent a lot, if not most, of their expendable income at WDW. You can have a mission that seeks to provide a quality product to people that aren't dripping in diamonds because that is what Walt's company wanted to do. Provide a place where parents and children can have fun together. Not just rich parents and children. Disney in their quest to see just how much they can get away with have cut out the people that Walt was trying to attract. The rich, however, can afford other options and will tire of Disney after awhile in my opinion and head back to the French Riviera in their yachts.

It's a publically traded company, hasn't been Walt's for quite a while.

bjlc57

this is SO ANTI WALT DISNEY.. Walt said in the book BE LIKE WALT.. There will always be a 10 cent cup of coffee at Disneyland.. meaning it will be a place for the masses and not the ultra élite

Goofyernmost

It's a publically traded company, hasn't been Walt's for quite a while.
Really, I thought he was managing from afar. You missed the whole point of what I was saying. I am painfully aware that the only target is profit, but profit can happen in different ways. There is short term profit and long term profits. Their aim at the moment is to rake in as much as they can right now, which would seem logical for now, however, nothing last forever and in my mind, as what was in Walt's, I think, long range meant that you kept quality high and charges low to keep a non-fluctuating system that will last another 50 years. I honestly think that the way things are going right now, before the end of the next 50 years it will be sold off in parts and pieces and eventually become a ghost town just like the other parks and/or companies that we all thought would last forever. Oh, and you will not have to get excited about telling me "I told you so" because I will be long dead by then and no one will have a WDW to go too anymore.

Wendy Pleakley

This is just not how the company operates anymore. I mean, it's not that I disagree with Walt's approach but it has nothing to do with the present.

Wendy Pleakley

Really, I thought he was managing from afar. You missed the whole point of what I was saying. I am painfully aware that the only target is profit, but profit can happen in different ways. There is short term profit and long term profits. Their aim at the moment is to rake in as much as they can right now, which would seem logical for now, however, nothing last forever and in my mind, as what was in Walt's, I think, long range meant that you kept quality high and charges low to keep a non-fluctuating system that will last another 50 years. I honestly think that the way things are going right now, before the end of the next 50 years it will be sold off in parts and pieces and eventually become a ghost town just like the other parks and/or companies that we all thought would last forever. Oh, and you will not have to get excited about telling me "I told you so" because I will be long dead by then and no one will have a WDW to go too anymore.

We've been hearing this for as long as I can remember.

The prices are too high! Disney has gone too far this time! Eventually, it will bite them in the butt and no one will come!

Nothing that has happened in terms of guest response and/or backlash gives even the slightest indication this is the case.

GimpYancIent

The prices are too high! Disney has gone too far this time! Eventually, it will bite them in the butt and no one will come!

Nothing that has happened in terms of guest response and/or backlash gives even the slightest indication this is the case.
True, at least not yet. For now Disney is basking in its status as an ICON.

GaBoy

Attachments

• 267x367.jpeg
    267x367.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 33

Goofyernmost

This is just not how the company operates anymore. I mean, it's not that I disagree with Walt's approach but it has nothing to do with the present.
That is basically what I was saying, but it is not going to change. The higher ups have parachute agreements where they make more money if the place falls into shambles and they are asked to leave. There is no incentive for long range profits because at any given time, whom ever is in charge will be able to leave before it crumbles with enough money to keep his/her herd of race horses in imported oats and large brim sun bonnets.

Goofyernmost

There will be an end to it someplace. It may not be right now or even years from now but, at sometime the party will end because that is what always happens.

Agardini51

I remember reading posts on here in the last few years complaining about how packed the parks were and how it was lessening the magical experience. IF Disney were to lower the prices dramatically so more people could afford to come, the parks would be at capacity all the time and then there would be a lot of posts on here talking about how they can only manage half the rides because the wait times were so long.
Disney will keep upping the prices until people stop paying it. Until then, we are all just along for the ride.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Publically traded companies are driven by returns especially those who have institutional investors are their majority shareholders so, despite your wishes, their business strategy is not yours. Significant investment in new parks, attractions, and employee wages in this environment requires revenue increases.

eliza61nyc

I don't know Goofy. So the rich that are going to the french riviera on yachts aren't even on Disney's radar. There is a whole 'nother world of disposable income folks. like my young boss. she's a phd chemist that is easily pulling down 150K add onto her husbands salary and you've got a lot of cash, although she does complain about student loan payments. They have 3 young girls (all under the age of 7). they just purchase DVC resale. My brother rarely considers himself rich, lol but he had a little McDonald's empire that he sold when retired and with three granddaughters he routinely drops a bucket of dough on that ridiculously overpriced Tea with the fairy god mother at the grand Floridian. I know these are anecdotal but you get my drift. I chat on facebook with a dvc group and a disney group and a great majority young professionals who are dropping cash on their vacations with no regrets at all. and no I do not ask them how they are paying for their vacations nor do I care.

There is a whole lot of real estate between the uber rich and the middle class. Unfortunately or fortunately, the ole "what would walt do" is an antiquated business model.
I not sure what people here hope for, that they will be some kind of "reckoning"? that Disney will somehow see the error of their ways and revert back to the 1980's glory days?

for the last 10 years we've been singing the "Disney is doomed" song and I'd put good money on the bet that in 10 years from now, we'll be still seeing these same post

jt04

I don't know Goofy. So the rich that are going to the french riviera on yachts aren't even on Disney's radar. There is a whole 'nother world of disposable income folks. like my young boss. she's a phd chemist that is easily pulling down 150K add onto her husbands salary and you've got a lot of cash, although she does complain about student loan payments. They have 3 young girls (all under the age of 7). they just purchase DVC resale. My brother rarely considers himself rich, lol but he had a little McDonald's empire that he sold when retired and with three granddaughters he routinely drops a bucket of dough on that ridiculously overpriced Tea with the fairy god mother at the grand Floridian. I know these are anecdotal but you get my drift. I chat on facebook with a dvc group and a disney group and a great majority young professionals who are dropping cash on their vacations with no regrets at all. and no I do not ask them how they are paying for their vacations nor do I care.

There is a whole lot of real estate between the uber rich and the middle class. Unfortunately or fortunately, the ole "what would walt do" is an antiquated business model.
I not sure what people here hope for, that they will be some kind of "reckoning"? that Disney will somehow see the error of their ways and revert back to the 1980's glory days?

for the last 10 years we've been singing the "Disney is doomed" song and I'd put good money on the bet that in 10 years from now, we'll be still seeing these same post

Yep. People are essentially demanding they stop being the equivalent of a luxury cruise ship price wise, while complaining if they value engineer or cut any corners to reduce costs.

Zero logic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom