News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Incomudro

Not disagreeing however the old Magic Kingdom Skyway gave a lot more 'backstage' and 'ugly views' away and that was designed when Walt was around. Not only was 20,000 Leagues show building blatantly exposed, but also the show buildings of It's a small world and the Haunted Mansion. Add to that the not so attractive roofs of many buildings. Even today the Haunted Mansion show building can be seen slightly from the queue and quite easily from the upper deck of the river boat.

I'm not denying that if Disney wanted to spend more money hiding the Tron show building, that they could have perhaps done a better job of doing so. I guess they figure out the costs completely hiding it compared to not and then make a decision based on the numbers. They probably then think is it worth spending $5 million more (a complete guess) to hide the building to appease those people who want everything perfect or not? They also probably weigh up is the few seconds the average guest will spend thinking about it worth the extra money? The reality is that they've already spent a huge amount of money theming the attraction already, that should be done with every attraction and that goes without saying. There is a point however where rightly or wrongly they decide that x million more just isn't worth it.

Similarly it's probably like how Walt was ok with the Skyway showing some pretty 'magic killing' sights because the cost of theming the show buildings from that viewpoint would have been so expensive. It could have been done, but it wasn't and more than certainly that was because of the cost. As a kid on the Skyway I loved it as it gave me an insight into the workings of the park but I remember my dad complaining about it bitterly. Similarly to those who have nervous breakdowns when they see a McDonalds or Starbucks logo in the Magic Kingdom saying "Walt would never had allowed that" without realising that there were advertising logos in Disneylands Magic Kingdom when it opened.

I'd prefer the Tron building better hidden than how we've been told it will be. However there has to be a point between what we want and what's financially viable. We can debate whether that amount is fair or not, however how many on here know those exact figures? Personally I love the curved canopy that we're told cost a huge amount to build due to it's shape etc. If they'd spent less on that they could probably have a plainer, simpler canopy covering all angles but it probably wouldn't have looked as impressive from inside Tomorrowland. If I were to choose one of those two options, then I'd take the trade off and take the one being built.
As to the Tron building, I've asked before - "What is there to hide?"
We hide the box that the Expedition Everest train uses, because it's supposed to be in nature, and going into the mountains of the Himalaya's.
But - serious question: What are the Tron lightcycles going into?
A computer?
What's wrong with a box for this ride?

mergatroid

We hide the box that the Expedition Everest train uses, because it's supposed to be in nature, and going into the mountains of the Himalaya's.
A computer?
I suppose personally I'd have preferred the canopy structure to cover all the building from the guests perspective. The only real reason being aesthetically it would look neater? Again I have no idea what the cost of that would have been though? I'm pretty sure it would have been estimated and a decision made based on that estimation?

The story is you're going into the 'world' within a computer game.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I really don't want to risk sounding like a Disney shill, but it's become exhausting listening to how ungrateful people have been when reacting to a new E-Ticket attraction in a section of Magic Kingdom that could really use something new. It's not replacing anything, it's a proven popular attraction, it's unique in terms of the ride cars, and it fits in perfectly with the area of the park it's in despite being an IP based attraction.
Ungrateful? As if WDW is giving us something for free or something?

It's not like it's a five-minute-long dark ride based on some beloved Disney character, or a 20-minute-long edutainment masterpiece on how mankind will overcome some life-threatening challenge...

We will pay for the privilege of riding this attraction, both at the gate and in the time we will invest in trying to get on it.

G00fyDad

angry looney tunes GIF

lazyboy97o

A computer?
How does warehouse equal computer? Space Mountain isn’t about going into a mountain, but it has a facility that is part of and enhances the larger environment.

Incomudro

How does warehouse equal computer? Space Mountain isn’t about going into a mountain, but it has a facility that is part of and enhances the larger environment.
So, it does take place in a computer?
If so, yes - I think a partially exposed warehouse works just fine, especially since that warehouse is really only seen from the queue of one ride - (a kiddie ride at that) and we're not 100% sure if that view will be further obstructed.

lazyboy97o

So, it does take place in a computer?
If so, yes - I think a partially exposed warehouse works just fine, especially since that warehouse is really only seen from the queue of one ride - (a kiddie ride at that) and we're not 100% sure if that view will be further obstructed.
Works for what? How does a warehouse improve the visual of the park? It’s seen from more than that one spot.

TrainsOfDisney

I actually remember Expedition Everest being hugely criticised on this forum because the show building is there for all to see as you circle around the back of the parking lot.
At opening, Everest looked bad from the parking lot and also from the road leading to AKL - which is also the road used by Disney Resort Bus lines to get to DAK.

I’m sure they could have saved money by not painting and theming the back of tower, but at the time, they thought about the views from the friendship boats and parking lot as well as the view from within the park.

mergatroid

At opening, Everest looked bad from the parking lot and also from the road leading to AKL - which is also the road used by Disney Resort Bus lines to get to DAK.

I’m sure they could have saved money by not painting and theming the back of tower, but at the time, they thought about the views from the friendship boats and parking lot as well as the view from within the park.
Friendship boats going to the AK, I wasn't aware any boats went there? Weren't the complaint about the buses from DAK that they saw the back of Pandora and not Everest?

TrainsOfDisney

Friendship boats going to the AK, I wasn't aware any boats went there? Weren't the complaint about the buses from DAK that they saw the back of Pandora and not Everest?
Umm... you’ll have to read the entire post. I was talking about the view of tower from the friendship boats.

The back of pandora is still visible from the Disney Resort bus lines at the entrance.

The view of Everest was from the overpass.

mergatroid

Umm... you’ll have to read the entire post. I was talking about the view of tower from the friendship boats.

The back of pandora is still visible from the Disney Resort bus lines at the entrance.

The view of Everest was from the overpass.
Apologies, I thought there were no boats going to the AK

sedati

Of all the things you can see from the Speedway, the warehouse might be the only thing consistent with its (ugly and modern) theme.

M:SpilotISTC12

Wait are we really arguing about the show building? Why debate so much when we all know that management doesn't care about sight lines? With the way they care about sight lines and "hiding the magic", I'm surprised they didn't put the canopy side on the outside edge of the park and the show building side closest to Tommorowland.

JoeCamel

Wait are we really arguing about the show building? Why debate so much when we all know that management doesn't care about sight lines? With the way they care about sight lines and "hiding the magic", I'm surprised they didn't put the canopy side on the outside edge of the park and the show building side closest to Tommorowland.
Plans for the structure were already drawn before it came to WDW

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom