News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

SilentWindODoom

You have a very strange idea of what a box looks like :D

I was disappointed by the theming of Velocicoaster. I mean, I always found it a disappointment to wrap possibly the second most iconic building from the series in roller coaster track. When this was beginning, it felt like having a roller coaster have a portion run around the front of the Tower of Heaven in the China Pavilion through the gardens. It would look cool and probably be enjoyable on the ride to experience, but it's kinda killing the mood and immersion.

But it's been a year or so and I've gotten over that and looked forward to seeing how it looked given all the discussion and leadup. And now, having seen the finish space, it looks a little cheap. The queue looks cool but load looks like a sterile airport or train station. The other interior parts of the ride and a lot of the walls of the "raptor enclosure" someone gave them kudos for creating looks like a thin piece of corrugated steel. It reminds me of the shower stall my family talks about when they visited family in the Caribbean.

I was expecting the same level as Hagrids, but the interior of the enclosure is more akin to a mini-golf course with static statues and features sitting in a sea of stone and gravel. So, in the end, it looks like a concrete box with some figures, a little fence, and some black track. But none of that matters because the whole point is the thrilling feeling of it. It could have had no theming and run through the entire land with the same elements and it would succeed at what it wants to do and the people looking forward to it would get what they want.

It would. But not impossible compared to say a distribution centre or large manufacturing facility. They could even reinstate the original spike fall back scene being inside.

All hypothetical of course.

Aw, man. That would be incredible. If the ride took place in night with an atmosphere akin to E.T.? It would look twice as great as it is now and the thrills could be heightened by not knowing what's coming a la Space Mountain. The drop section could be less close and more open as it wouldn't be in its own building but in the overall building of the ride.

Dangit, that sounds cool.

sonoma15

I was disappointed by the theming of Velocicoaster. I mean, I always found it a disappointment to wrap possibly the second most iconic building from the series in roller coaster track. When this was beginning, it felt like having a roller coaster have a portion run around the front of the Tower of Heaven in the China Pavilion through the gardens. It would look cool and probably be enjoyable on the ride to experience, but it's kinda killing the mood and immersion.

But it's been a year or so and I've gotten over that and looked forward to seeing how it looked given all the discussion and leadup. And now, having seen the finish space, it looks a little cheap. The queue looks cool but load looks like a sterile airport or train station. The other interior parts of the ride and a lot of the walls of the "raptor enclosure" someone gave them kudos for creating looks like a thin piece of corrugated steel. It reminds me of the shower stall my family talks about when they visited family in the Caribbean.

I was expecting the same level as Hagrids, but the interior of the enclosure is more akin to a mini-golf course with static statues and features sitting in a sea of stone and gravel. So, in the end, it looks like a concrete box with some figures, a little fence, and some black track. But none of that matters because the whole point is the thrilling feeling of it. It could have had no theming and run through the entire land with the same elements and it would succeed at what it wants to do and the people looking forward to it would get what they want.

Aw, man. That would be incredible. If the ride took place in night with an atmosphere akin to E.T.? It would look twice as great as it is now and the thrills could be heightened by not knowing what's coming a la Space Mountain. The drop section could be less close and more open as it wouldn't be in its own building but in the overall building of the ride.

Dangit, that sounds cool.
1622138858958.png

the mini golf courses you go too sound crazy

also the hagrid building would have to be almost 3x the size of space mountain, yes it's possible, but it's slightly unrealistic and would require a much larger budget when it's simply just not worth it. If you ever have the chance to ride it at night I def recommend that though.

Last edited:

SilentWindODoom

View attachment 560337
the mini golf courses you go too sound crazy

also the hagrid building would have to be almost 3x the size of space mountain, yes it's possible, but it's slightly unrealistic and would require a much larger budget when it's simply just not worth it. If you ever have the chance to ride it at night I def recommend that though.

Actually, it's funny you say that given that I currently live in the mini-golf capital of the United States (outside of Myrtle Beach, SC) and we have plenty of elaborate courses that could fit that pic. Although I do really want to know where that's from? Is that a promotional shot from inside? It's a cool look.

It's a bit more sparse on the ride.

lkmLwtt.png

Hopefully the plants fill in more with time. It may just be juvenile plants.

As for the Hagrid's building, in thinking about this I couldn't help but wonder if it could be retrofitted. If you were to use a construction much like an opaque version of the Tron canopy or the dome over a football practice field that fits to the needed space rather than being a box. Although while it may be less materials and space, I don't know if the specialized construction would wind up taking more space. Either way, it wouldn't be possible now because the ride contains a lot of real plant life, and that would all have to be replaced if retrofitted with a building. Sadly more unfeasible than the whole Blue Sky idea to begin with.

sonoma15

Actually, it's funny you say that given that I currently live in the mini-golf capital of the United States (outside of Myrtle Beach, SC) and we have plenty of elaborate courses that could fit that pic. Although I do really want to know where that's from? Is that a promotional shot from inside? It's a cool look.

It's a bit more sparse on the ride.

lkmLwtt.png

Hopefully the plants fill in more with time. It may just be juvenile plants.

As for the Hagrid's building, in thinking about this I couldn't help but wonder if it could be retrofitted. If you were to use a construction much like an opaque version of the Tron canopy or the dome over a football practice field that fits to the needed space rather than being a box. Although while it may be less materials and space, I don't know if the specialized construction would wind up taking more space. Either way, it wouldn't be possible now because the ride contains a lot of real plant life, and that would all have to be replaced if retrofitted with a building. Sadly more unfeasible than the whole Blue Sky idea to begin with.
No, you can get that shot from the pathway that runs alongside the enclosure. You do have to kind of stick your camera through the bars though.

1622141354483.png

999th Happy Haunt

Well not really...
It is a better fit than MILF, and stylistically it looks right, but it does not fit the vernacular or scale of the park...and they are making no changes to the existing structures to visually marry it into Tomorrowland...I mean it's like dumping a an attraction set in New Orleans right in the middle of Frontierla...... Hey!
There’s already architectural inconsistencies within MK, like Pirates being right next to Jungle Cruise, and even the Speedway right next to Space Mountain, we just accept these because it’s always been that way.

999th Happy Haunt

i mean I guess if you consider rock n rollercoaster an e-ticket you’d count tron.

I don’t consider space mountain Florida an e-ticket either. California yes, but not Florida.

But that’s me.
Not to sound snarky or anything, but what are some attractions you would consider an e-ticket? It’s always interesting to hear stuff like this because there’s no official definition of the ticket classes since Disney no longer uses them.

James Alucobond

If they hide it well (which remains to be seen) what does it matter that it's there? The Haunted Mansion has a large non-descript show building, you just can't see it.
While I agree that a wait-and-see approach is in order from inside the park, I think it's always going to be more of an issue here because it does damage to views of the park from outside of it (e.g. from the Contemporary), and it seems unlikely they'll resolve that.

TrainsOfDisney

Not to sound snarky or anything, but what are some attractions you would consider an e-ticket? It’s always interesting to hear stuff like this because there’s no official definition of the ticket classes since Disney no longer uses them.
Splash, Mansion, Pirates, Indiana Jones, Tower (Florida) & Radiator Springs Racers for sure.

Bocabear

Tron’s going to be substantially more thrilling and larger scale than mine train. Space Mountain’s certainly an e-ticket, so Tron is too.
But about the same length ride as Mine Train...with no animatronics...
Constructions not done, of course the final project will look better. I think people are also underestimating how much the canopy will distract from whatever is visible of the show building. Much like how the facades in Fantasyland distract from the grey show buildings.
But the canopy frame is already finished and in place...you can clearly still see the big box... You can see it in Shanghai too...they even put a large "TRON" sign on the side of the building because it is so visible.

TrainsOfDisney

Yeah, these are definitely the cream of the crop of attractions. You don't consider ROTR or FOP E-Tickets?
Yes and no. The entire experience of rise, as I experienced it, is an e ticket. But the ride itself is a bit of a let down if you take it apart and dissect it. I think Indiana Jones and Splash are better. Comparing trowbridge to trowbridge I think spider-man is better too.

FOP is not an e for me. But Everest probably is. Some people would think the opposite and I totally understand that. (But again Everest as it opened with working yeti, fog effects, etc.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom