Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
CA is at 69.1% of adults with one shot. If I were a betting man I’d take the over on 70% 😎

Is it upsetting to you to see the US get more people vaccinated? Will you be disappointed when the country hits 70% of adults with 1 shot? You seem angry and bitter every time anyone discusses any efforts being made to get more people vaccinated.

he’s just frustrated it’s this hard...

not an irrational stance

Figgy1

Premium Member
The evidence on lockdowns is inconclusive. For every legit study that shows correlation there is a legit study that shows the opposite. It will take years of analysis to figure out whether the lockdown experiment worked
IMHO if you have no exposure to people it would have been impossible to have contact with the virus. By no contact I mean nobody in your household had contact with other people

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The evidence on lockdowns is inconclusive. For every legit study that shows correlation there is a legit study that shows the opposite. It will take years of analysis to figure out whether the lockdown experiment worked

forget studies...

what passes the Common sense test?

1. trying to separate people and provide some level of minimal protection from an airborne virus?

2. not doing it and “trusting the people”?

Jrb1979

CA is at 69.1% of adults with one shot. If I were a betting man I’d take the over on 70% 😎

Is it upsetting to you to see the US get more people vaccinated? Will you be disappointed when the country hits 70% of adults with 1 shot? You seem angry and bitter every time anyone discusses any efforts being made to get more people vaccinated.
I will applaud them if they get to that level. I'm not bitter or angry about it. I just think it's absurd they have to stoop to those levels cause people are lazy.

BrianLo

You would have to dispute germ theory to dispute whether the concept of lockdowns or quarantine are ineffective. What you are alluding to is how effective it is when you have 50 states with 50-plans and no enforcement. Or unscientifically comparing one state to another in one given moment of time. Or whether the economic ramifications outweigh the public health benefits. Or whether people will naturally reduce their social contact voluntarily without policy.

But there is no debate that it "works". Of course it works. The US was not the only country who went through this - and time and time again the hypothesis was upheld.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That you have to Con people into getting a shot that takes 10 minutes...with prizes?
Maybe with a red suit and a white beard on?
More of a bribe than a con. As far as I know they plan to actually pay out the lottery winners.🤑🤑🤑

People should want the vaccine on its own. Some do and some don’t. Should we just ignore the people who haven‘t gotten it and not make any effort to bring them in? What does that accomplish other than a lower vaccination rate? Ironically, your favorite Governor in FL has taken that approach...seems you finally agree on something 🤪

Animal_Kingdom_09

1. I think the number of legitimate medical exclusions would be very small.
  2. Businesses already have to make reasonable (that's the key word) medical accommodations for employees, so why would this be any different or more difficult?

Employers do not decide if an exclusion is legit. That is for doctors.

While I do make reasonable accommodations under the ADA, why would I even want to deal with it at all when I can make the whole problem go away by not checking an employees vax status? It is far easier to adopt the CDC guidelines and let the employees decide where they fall on the CDC spectrum.

OSHA is actually the bigger problem if masks are your primary mitigation. I used employee separation and engineered solutions like walls in addition to masks, so I remain OSHA compliant even when the mask requirement is dropped.

The law isn't really set up for an epidemic. It is designed to prevent discrimination. COVID has been a bit like trying to put the proverbial square peg in a round whole.

Animal_Kingdom_09

The accommodation is they wear a mask. I’m not suggesting they require proof of vaccination to work just they require proof to show up at work without a mask. If you cannot get a vaccine for medical reasons then you would have to continue wearing a mask just like anyone else who isn’t vaccinated.

That will take litigation to sort out, and I do not want to be the test case for it.

I have reached the point where I believe that the burden is back on the employee, since in my part of the country you can literally walk into to Publix, CVS, Walgreen's, my doctor's office, and the county drive through sites and get vaccinated. If someone is not vaccinated by choice, nobody is obligated to wear a mask for them.

I would argue that the accommodation is for the employee who cannot be vaccinated (say, for allergies to the vaccine ingredients), and there are better ways to accommodate them than making everyone prove they are vaccinated to lose the masks.

Just my opinion, not legal advice.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
More of a bribe than a con. As far as I know they plan to actually pay out the lottery winners.🤑🤑🤑

People should want the vaccine on its own. Some do and some don’t. Should we just ignore the people who haven‘t gotten it and not make any effort to bring them in? What does that accomplish other than a lower vaccination rate? Ironically, your favorite Governor in FL has taken that approach...seems you finally agree on something 🤪

I’m no longer for giving people “the consideration of adulthood with the care of a toddler”...

so I do agree on this with Governor swollen tick.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That will take litigation to sort out, and I do not want to be the test case for it.

I have reached the point where I believe that the burden is back on the employee, since in my part of the country you can literally walk into to Publix, CVS, Walgreen's, my doctor's office, and the county drive through sites and get vaccinated. If someone is not vaccinated by choice, nobody is obligated to wear a mask for them.

I would argue that the accommodation is for the employee who cannot be vaccinated (say, for allergies to the vaccine ingredients), and there are better ways to accommodate them than making everyone prove they are vaccinated to lose the masks.

Just my opinion, not legal advice.
I’m no lawyer, but I don’t think there’s an issue with ADA.

The company I work for is a large Fortune 500 company with tons of lawyers and HR execs that would know a lot more than I do. The company implemented a policy that follows the CDC guidelines and allows fully vaccinated employees to not wear a mask at work. They are requiring proof of vaccination from anyone who wants to stop wearing a mask. The way it was explained in a Q&A with Managers is that this is purely voluntary. Nobody is required to get the vaccine and nobody is required to show proof of vaccination so you can opt to not show the proof and just continue to wear a mask. In the Q&A both the HIPAA and ADA questions came up and the head of HR confirmed that the policy is not in violation. We also have a large office in NJ and according to the Governor‘s order there it’s required that employers obtain proof of vaccination in order to allow employees to not wear a mask. So for that office at least it wouldn’t be legal to go purely on the honor system. NJ is requiring employers to go a step further.

One other question that came up is how other employees will know if someone who is not wearing a mask is properly following the policy. The answer was that when everyone provides proof of vaccination through the online system (upload a copy of your vaccination card) nobody outside of HR will have access to the data. Employees are expected to tell the truth and if they don’t it’s a violation of the code of ethics for the company and grounds for termination. They don’t want people or managers trying to police co-workers so if you have a reasonable suspicion that someone is not wearing a mask and lying about vaccination status you have to report through HR and they will investigate. This is similar to the drug and alcohol policy where reasonable suspicion is needed. The examples of reasonable suspicion given were if you had a conversation where the person said they were not getting vaccinated or they posted something along those lines on social media you should report it if they stop wearing a mask. They don’t want people going to HR with a list of everyone they see each day without a mask on and asking for verification they are vaccinated. HR would investigate and if the person has their vaccine card uploaded the investigation ends. If they don’t then disciplinary action is taken.

I think this is a very reasonable approach. People who are fully vaccinated pose a low risk to others so they don’t need to wear masks. The CDC agrees. If you don’t want to wear a mask you upload the card and you don’t have to. If you either aren’t vaccinated or you don’t want to share your vaccination status you don’t have to, but you continue to wear a mask.

lazyboy97o

I can't think of any logical way cases would have been lower without lockdown.
In theory people would have voluntarily dramatically reduced their contact with others. We did see some of this in early March 2020. Such action still would have brought the economy to a grinding halt but really doing it would have reduced spread.

Leaving people to decide for themselves is always my default preference. But if that is a good and valid position it shouldn’t require lying, misinformation and conspiracies to be the real meat of the argument.

CatesMom

Yep, I have never really felt cramped in any Urban area in Texas except maybe downtown Houston. Get out west of I35 and you can go for miles without seeing a soul.
My parents (who would live west of I35 if it continued that far south) got their shots as soon as possible. So did all of their contemporaries in small town, Texas. My sister and her husband were at the forefront of the next vaccine wave in Austin. Both sets of folks continued mitigation measures for a long time after that. (Not as many as we’ve maintained here in Northern Virginia, but hey, Don’t Mess With Texas).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
In theory people would have voluntarily dramatically reduced their contact with others. We did see some of this in early March 2020. Such action still would have brought the economy to a grinding halt but really doing it would have reduced spread.

Leaving people to decide for themselves is always my default preference. But if that is a good and valid position it shouldn’t require lying, misinformation and conspiracies to be the real meat of the argument.

Not sure if I buy the logic that people would have been significantly more compliant with mitigation if it was voluntary then if it was mandatory.

Jrb1979

... and not just talking about personal behavior. There are so many situations where companies are getting an economic benefit from packing as many people close together as possible.
They are already doing it now and last I looked it's not over yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom