News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

Skywise

Ooh, they should go with the 101 Dalmations theme I saw Freddy Chambers post about on Twitter!
NO!
Chapek was quoted today as saying "We always felt that Cruella Deville would've stayed on a tropical island and now we have seen that story brought to life in our new Polynesian retheming with Cruella Deville Suites. BTW, we also think she would've stayed on a Star Cruiser and we've rethemed one of the rooms on the Hyperion in Cruella Deville's Trademark style as well."

Stevek

The the design on the tshirt is pretty obviously derived from Oceanic Arts original work.

And as someone else said, it all depends on the contract, but I would be pretty surprised if Oceanic agreed to Disney creating merchandise (a shirt which is sold is not an ad) based off of their art and designs.

View attachment 559861
View attachment 559862View attachment 559863
It’s somewhat similar to these masks outside Enchanted Tiki room at Disneyland…yes, more different than the shirt but a similar style

1368D23C-A57C-4581-8402-66CA4DE0CB35.jpeg

TrojanUSC

The the design on the tshirt is pretty obviously derived from Oceanic Arts original work.

And as someone else said, it all depends on the contract, but I would be pretty surprised if Oceanic agreed to Disney creating merchandise (a shirt which is sold is not an ad) based off of their art and designs.

View attachment 559861
View attachment 559862View attachment 559863

I would be shocked if Disney didn't include a full buyout of worldwide rights for any designs created by OA, including for any merchandising, when they signed the contract. They would own the copyright for the design. It's just standard when you're dealing with Disney in any capacity.

FigmentFan82

I would be shocked if Disney didn't include a full buyout of worldwide rights for any designs created by OA, including for any merchandising, when they signed the contract. They would own the copyright for the design. It's just standard when you're dealing with Disney in any capacity.
You'd think, but big companies are still run by regular people who can make mistakes from time to time. When WB released the first trailer for Zack Snyder's Justice League, they had to pull it a few days later because they didn't fully secure the music rights to the song they used in it. They eventually fixed it and it was reposted, but these errors do happen in big companies

dsinclair

If that was the case then I don't think OA could currently be selling those designs.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Just an update on the long houses. Everything West of the GCH appears to be done and ready for occupancy. Construction walls are down and Furniture and curtains are in.

East of the GCH is another story. Rooms in Rarotonga look like they are still down to the studs. In Niue and Samoa they are doing a lot of finished carpentry. Hawaii looks to be the most done on the east side of the GCH.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Just an update on the long houses. Everything West of the GCH appears to be done and ready for occupancy. Construction walls are down and Furniture and curtains are in.

East of the GCH is another story. Rooms in Rarotonga look like they are still down to the studs. In Niue and Samoa they are doing a lot of finished carpentry. Hawaii looks to be the most done on the east side of the GCH.

They appeared to be pumping heavily out of ground outside building with old Lilo Playhouse, Snack Isle, Taratoga Terrace, etc. It was very loud and could be heard over at Moorea. Was told it would be a few hours but the area (walkway south of Tokelau is still blocked off from) is still blocked off tonight by security. Would have been a miserable room experience with that noise. I'm interested to see if they're going to do anything worthwhile with the space.

They're working on exterior east end of Hawaii with enough construction noise that we requested being moved from a construction fence like 20 feet away. We scoped the area and didn't enter the room but thought it was loud enough outside to be disruptive to toddler naps. It's unfortunate some of the rooms are still occupied this close to loud work but it's DVC and they're running like 100% without much flexibility

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
They appeared to be pumping heavily out of ground outside building with old Lilo Playhouse, Snack Isle, Taratoga Terrace, etc. It was very loud and could be heard over at Moorea. Was told it would be a few hours but the area (walkway south of Tokelau is still blocked off from) is still blocked off tonight by security. Would have been a miserable room experience with that noise. I'm interested to see if they're going to do anything worthwhile with the space.

They're working on exterior east end of Hawaii with enough construction noise that we requested being moved from a construction fence like 20 feet away. We scoped the area and didn't enter the room but thought it was loud enough outside to be disruptive to toddler naps. It's unfortunate some of the rooms are still occupied this close to loud work but it's DVC and they're running like 100% without much flexibility
I was just over there. They were running some fiber lines early this morning and appear to have struck something. They needed a vac truck to suck out the water. Still going on as of 1230 am.

Weather_Lady

It's so cool that we're to the point where you can see the changes from day to day.

FWIW, it looks like they just started applying the roofing material to the porte cochere roof section. Must be they're going to finish it completely before hoisting it into place. The corrugated metal is presumably just a base layer, since the concept art appears to show some sort of textured material like thatching going over the top, unless the design has changed in the interim.

This was posted today on Tikiman's Unofficial Polynesian Resort Pages on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/Tikimanpages, with photo credit to Jessica):

194823325_4640381996006438_6173338945903140791_n.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom