News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

Stevek

What do you mean by available? For when?

They have been accepting bookings for a few months now. And you can book from mid July onwards I believe, the 19th perhaps?
I’ve looked at several random time periods and nada. We are going 11/30-12/8 and nada as well.

Mark48

SEA ????? Any truth to the scuttlebutt that Trader Sam is getting the boot at the Poly ? Society of Explorers and Adventurers ( Hopefully that's in the right order ) to be the new overlay ? Next thing will be the large tiki's inside Boutiki the way this is going. Pretty soon Tonga Toast will be under attack.

Bocabear

"The other site" is claiming that they could be a copyright infringement of Oceanic Arts whose work was used in some of the original Poly hotel designs. Could make sense... could be BS.
Oceanic Arts is a decor supplier, I doubt that a T-shirt using an image of some of their decor that they sold to a restaurant to decorate would have any copywrite bearings whatsoever...

Skywise

SEA ????? Any truth to the scuttlebutt that Trader Sam is getting the boot at the Poly ? Society of Explorers and Adventurers ( Hopefully that's in the right order ) to be the new overlay ? Next thing will be the large tiki's inside Boutiki the way this is going. Pretty soon Tonga Toast will be under attack.
I don't think so - they just reopened Trader Sams at Disneyland and that would be on the chopping block as well if they were dumping the theme. Also they would've probably removed the Trader Sams sign along with the others if that were the case.

That said - I could see them whacking the zombie drinks and voodoo priestess animatronic.

Bocabear

Just curious what makes you doubt that. It's common for art to be sold/rented with a limited license that prevents copying.
Oceanic Arts makes Tiki light fixtures, carvings etc. They supplied several restaurants all over the country and I never recall seeing a warning not to photograph the decor....because it might cause copyright infringement... That is like a furniture store selling you a sofa and if you take a photograph of a model and sell it, they sue you because she was sitting on the sofa... That would never happen either.
Now, if Oceanic Arts created the Trader Sam character under a limited license, then yes...
But I believe Disney owns Trader Sam

Weather_Lady

Oceanic Arts makes Tiki light fixtures, carvings etc. They supplied several restaurants all over the country and I never recall seeing a warning not to photograph the decor....because it might cause copyright infringement... That is like a furniture store selling you a sofa and if you take a photograph of a model and sell it, they sue you because she was sitting on the sofa... That would never happen either.
Now, if Oceanic Arts created the Trader Sam character under a limited license, then yes...
But I believe Disney owns Trader Sam
I didn't think the issue was third parties casually photographing the decor. I thought the issue (supposedly) was that a licensed tiki mask design created by Oceanic Arts had been copied onto a t-shirt by a licensee (Disney) who intended to sell it for their own financial gain, presumably in violation of an applicable licensing agreement that governed the permissible uses of the design. While I have no idea if that's the "real" reason the shirts in question were destroyed, this type of thing happens -- and results in cease-and-desist letters, and failing that, litigation, with destruction of the infringing merchandise being ordered or agreed-to -- pretty frequently.

Last edited:

Bocabear

I didn't think the issue was third parties casually photographing the decor. I thought the issue (supposedly) was that a licensed tiki mask design created by Oceanic Arts had been copied onto a t-shirt by a licensee (Disney) who intended to sell it for their own financial gain, presumably in violation of an applicable licensing agreement that governed the permissible uses of the design. While I have no idea if that's the "real" reason the shirts in question were destroyed, this type of thing happens -- and results in cease-and-desist letters, and failing that, litigation, with destruction of the infringing merchandise being ordered or agreed-to -- pretty frequently.
ok you win.
But I have a feeling that when you purchase something like a piece of craft work that you purchase to decorate and embellish a space, if you create an ad for that space, the guy who crafted the decor can't sue you... Trader Sam's was all fairly generic carvings except for the custom pieces that Disney would have designed for fabrication...

flutas

ok you win.
But I have a feeling that when you purchase something like a piece of craft work that you purchase to decorate and embellish a space, if you create an ad for that space, the guy who crafted the decor can't sue you... Trader Sam's was all fairly generic carvings except for the custom pieces that Disney would have designed for fabrication...
All depends on the contract.

But in this case it's not a photograph of a decor piece. It's an entirely
"original" work, cloned after a copyrighted item.

Just like how I can't legally draw Mickey Mouse on a t-shirt and sell it without fear of getting stomped on by the Mouse.

Weather_Lady

FWIW, the "site that cannot be named" has posted a new slideshow of today's progress on the Polynesian monorail station. To sum up:

- The porte cochere roof framework now appears totally complete, with additional pieces having been added to each end since last we saw it. Hopefully it gets hoisted into place soon.

- Rounded trim-like pieces have been added to each side of each concrete supporting pillar for the 2 porte cochere bases.

- The walkway/bridge from the station into the GCH, and the front of the station, have both been partially primed in pink, with a couple of the concrete walkway/bridge support pillars now sporting brown paint over the primer.

- Scaffolding has been extended and now extends to each end of the entire section of roof trusses over the station, and workers appear focused on installing square wooden pieces at the top of each concrete pillar.

dsinclair

The the design on the tshirt is pretty obviously derived from Oceanic Arts original work.

And as someone else said, it all depends on the contract, but I would be pretty surprised if Oceanic agreed to Disney creating merchandise (a shirt which is sold is not an ad) based off of their art and designs.

samsshirt.PNG

mask.PNG
paddle.PNG

FigmentFan82

The the design on the tshirt is pretty obviously derived from Oceanic Arts original work.

And as someone else said, it all depends on the contract, but I would be pretty surprised if Oceanic agreed to Disney creating merchandise (a shirt which is sold is not an ad) based off of their art and designs.

View attachment 559861
View attachment 559862View attachment 559863
oof, oh yes that does appear to be ripped off. glad I've already got one of those t's

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Bocabear

That's assuming it's really original and not copied from some other source.
Exactly... I know that similar mask design has been used many places even back to the original Jungle Cruise....Purportedly all those pieces were built in house by the imagineering department... So it is possible that it is a more common design that Oceanic Arts originally was doing a riff on...and this is a riff of that.
And if the photos above are the actual pieces in question, all they really have to do is change the illustration a tiny bit from the object to make it different....which it appears they already have...
It also seems strange that they would sell a copywritten design to a theme park for decor and not expect it to end up having the motif reused...
It is not like that is a well known character well associated with Oceanic Arts only...like Mickey Mouse to Disney....

lazyboy97o

Exactly... I know that similar mask design has been used many places even back to the original Jungle Cruise....Purportedly all those pieces were built in house by the imagineering department... So it is possible that it is a more common design that Oceanic Arts originally was doing a riff on...and this is a riff of that.
And if the photos above are the actual pieces in question, all they really have to do is change the illustration a tiny bit from the object to make it different....which it appears they already have...
It also seems strange that they would sell a copywritten design to a theme park for decor and not expect it to end up having the motif reused...
It is not like that is a well known character well associated with Oceanic Arts only...like Mickey Mouse to Disney....
I’m not sure where you got the idea that everything is designed in house. Buying props is nothing new. And selling a prop to a theme park does not give them rights to reproduce the design on other works. The argument that the work is not as well know is just garbage that only further enables large companies in their theft of work from smaller designers.

Communicora

Premium Member

View attachment 559861
View attachment 559862View attachment 559863
So a t-shirt design has been pulled and now people think the entire bar is being rethemed?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom