Just curious about this picture. Why does it look like there is a tarp over the Main Street railroad?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I am guessing some renovations perhaps? Just never seen it like that. This is a recent picture, from today I think.

1621297742543.png

UNCgolf

That's what a telephoto lens does. It pulls what would normally be the background closer and compresses the foreground.

They're great for taking photos of something far away and making it look close (wildlife photos are an excellent example, as you can stay pretty far away but take a photo that looks like you were just a couple of feet from the animal), but create a pretty weird optical illusion when there's a bunch of other objects closer to you in the foreground.

Pepper's Ghost

That's what a telephoto lens does. It pulls what would normally be the background closer and compresses the foreground.

They're great for taking photos of something far away and making it look close (wildlife photos are an excellent example, as you can stay pretty far away but take a photo that looks like you were just a couple of feet from the animal), but create a pretty weird optical illusion when there's a bunch of other objects closer to you in the foreground.
Exactly. Very cool effect, and excellent for the purpose you mention of taking close photos of far away things. It just really distorts what things look like when you have those objects in the foreground. It's almost like it 2-dimensionalizes a 3-dimensional scene.

Parker in NYC

It's just so cool!

UNCgolf

It's just so cool!

Tilt shift photography is also super cool.

Which makes me wonder if there are any tilt shift photos of Disney World. I bet they're out there somewhere. They make real life locations look like miniature models.

EDIT: I guess Disney themselves made tilt shift videos of the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT back in 2009. https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2009/10/a-model-day-at-the-park/

They're neat, but I'd like to see more tilt shift photos of WDW locations as opposed to video. I think they work better as still aerial shots and not from close to ground level.

Ayla

Tilt shift photography is also super cool.

Which makes me wonder if there are any tilt shift photos of Disney World. I bet they're out there somewhere. They make real life locations look like miniature models.

EDIT: I guess Disney themselves made tilt shift videos of the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT back in 2009. https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2009/10/a-model-day-at-the-park/

They're neat, but I'd like to see more tilt shift photos of WDW locations as opposed to video. I think they work better as still aerial shots and not from close to ground level.
I miss so many things shown in that video. 😥

Thank you for sharing the link.

Phil12

Exactly. Very cool effect, and excellent for the purpose you mention of taking close photos of far away things. It just really distorts what things look like when you have those objects in the foreground. It's almost like it 2-dimensionalizes a 3-dimensional scene.
Many folks attempt to assert that the Chinese Theater at DHS is a large and impressive structure. But as you can see, with a normal lens, it's really not very impressive from a distance:

1621391258520.png

However, some folks prefer to insist that the Chinese Theater is indeed a large and impressive structure. They post photos of the structure taken with a telephoto lens. This gives the illusion that the structure is larger and more significant:
1621391344584.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom