Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

havoc315

What does his take have to do with 2 year olds wearing a mask outside in Florida heat and humidity? Seems to be about indoor mask guidelines which haven't changed at Disney.

I've tried to be understanding but at this point... I think anyone who has a problem with no masks outside is just looking for a reason to complain.

The issue is indoors, not outdoors. WDW is still doing the right thing, for now. Many other places are not.

Wendy Pleakley

The issue is indoors, not outdoors. WDW is still doing the right thing, for now. Many other places are not.

I think that's where a lot of the initial concern came from, the CDC guidelines of vaccinated individuals not needing masks indoors. I'd be much more concerned about masks being optional in indoor shops and queues.

Outside, it's moderately concerning just because theme parks are busy and crowds can form at choke points without warning. For the most part, I imagine people can maintain distance most of the time and throw on a mask when needed.

The current policy is okay, but I still maintain that at this point, get a vaccine before visiting WDW.

corsairk09

Such a well-written post, which best articulates this seemingly “out of nowhere” policy change and why it concerns some of us.

While many people are “living their lives” and embraced the most recent policy update, many others have been keeping a watchful eye on things. Perhaps because there are children in the family that are too young to be vaccinated. Or perhaps (like me) they have medical concerns about the efficacy of the vaccine, and are only comfortable holding a job “in the public” because everyone is masked. Or maybe, they are a family that had planned their Disney trip, knowing that masks are worn by all so they needn’t worry about anything.

But this change, which came out of left field, has not allowed any of us to make plans in advance. Those with young kids have to decide when/where they can go in public. For the medically at-risk like me, the danger of working in public has now been increased tremendously.

*And please don’t tell me to stop working and/or find another job.

Those of us with concerns have not had sufficient time to plan. Had there been benchmarks or goal posts, then at the very least we could’ve seen what was approaching and had time to thoughtfully make a plan. And the businesses like Disney and so many others, wouldn’t have been thrust into a situation where they’ve had to change their operation overnight.
As much as I love what the CDC did… I think this is completely fair. The CDC had to know that eventually it would be announcing that masks were no longer needed. Why wasn’t there a better plan? Why wasn’t there better messaging? Why wasn’t there a benchmark for people so people could plan ahead while watching the benchmark approach? The fact that they did none of this makes it feel like this decision is coming out of left field.

GaBoy

As much as I love what the CDC did… I think this is completely fair. The CDC had to know that eventually it would be announcing that masks were no longer needed. Why wasn’t there a better plan? Why wasn’t there better messaging? Why wasn’t there a benchmark for people so people could plan ahead while watching the benchmark approach? The fact that they did none of this makes it feel like this decision is coming out of left field.
Lackluster jobs report? Maybe. I dont know. Has to be some pressure to move this machine along.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What does his take have to do with 2 year olds wearing a mask outside in Florida heat and humidity? Seems to be about indoor mask guidelines which haven't changed at Disney.

I've tried to be understanding but at this point... I think anyone who has a problem with no masks outside is just looking for a reason to complain.
Maybe because the tweet he posted wasn’t about Disney’s policy it was about the CDC guidelines. Disney’s policy change has nothing really to do with the new CDC guidelines. The CDC is saying fully vaccinated people don’t need to wear masks indoors or outdoors but unvaccinated people still need to wear masks. Disney is dropping masks for anyone outdoors even if they are unvaccinated. So it’s the CDC that has a problem with a straight up no masks outside policy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
All opinions and suggestions aside. This🐎 is out of the barn. And.... its all about getting those dollars back now. Work for a large corporation. It's all about the stockholders.
No business wants to be stuck policing the new CDC guidelines so they are just giving up. There’s no practical way to actually implement a policy where only vaccinated people can go unmasked.

Nickp1983

Maybe because the tweet he posted wasn’t about Disney’s policy it was about the CDC guidelines. Disney’s policy change has nothing really to do with the new CDC guidelines. The CDC is saying fully vaccinated people don’t need to wear masks indoors or outdoors but unvaccinated people still need to wear masks. Disney is dropping masks for anyone outdoors even if they are unvaccinated. So it’s the CDC that has a problem with a straight up no masks outside policy.
You'll have to excuse me for thinking posts on a disney forum would pertain to Disney. Good to know we're solving the world's problems here.
What's everyone's take on the pipeline hack? Should they get a subscription to Norton?

DisneyDebRob

THOUSANDS!
LOL. I'd love to know where they got THOUSANDS from. Is that an accurate number based on... SCIENCE... or are we reducing arguments to hyperbole because the science no longer agrees with them.

So many takes remind me of.
Agreed with who? Did you read the post or are you using “hyperbole” because it’s the new catch phrase word going around on some cable news shows.
You only have to take almost every poll taken over the last 2 weeks to see how people feel about loosening mitigation’s to much at once. Now expand that and yes, there are probably thousands in Disney thinking that. Again, I’m not saying it’s not science, I’m strictly speaking on how people feel. Takes time to change people’s habits, minds and alike after a year of this. Because you and many here believe it’s perfectly alright and you have no problems with it, doesn’t mean there that many that think the opposite. Right or wrong.
I think it’s great that we are at this point, my problem was the 12 hr period Disney put it in place. If you read what I typed you would have seen that.

Chi84

Premium Member
Do you believe Disney is putting people at risk of getting COVID by dropping mask requirements for people who are outside and not in queues?

DisneyDebRob

That's putting an awful lot of faith in those mitigation methods.
Personally, if I was at all afraid of covid - I would not go to a place as crowded as WDW gets, simply putting my trust in masks, and distancing.
I respect your opinion but as I said, it’s not all about you and me. Many families feel differently. With the low crowds and masking they may have felt it was ok.

Nickp1983

Agreed with who? Did you read the post or are you using “hyperbole” because it’s the new catch phrase word going around on some cable news shows.
You only have to take almost every poll taken over the last 2 weeks to see how people feel about loosening mitigation’s to much at once. Now expand that and yes, there are probably thousands in Disney thinking that. Again, I’m not saying it’s not science, I’m strictly speaking on how people feel. Takes time to change people’s habits, minds and alike after a year of this. Because you and many here believe it’s perfectly alright and you have no problems with it, doesn’t mean there that many that think the opposite. Right or wrong.
I think it’s great that we are at this point, my problem was the 12 hr period Disney put it in place. If you read what I typed you would have seen that.
Hyperbole has been around for years. So I apologize if you just learned about it from Rachel Meadows.
If you really think there are thousands of people freaking out about not masking their kids up outside... well. That's fine. I think that's a complete over statement and feel the majority are either fine with it, or thrilled they don't have to taste their sweat outside.

drizgirl

I'm not in either camp, except I think both Dr. Fauci and the CDC could have more consistent/clear in their messaging all along, including now.

Two weeks ago, the CDC director was on the air talking about the dangers of the new variants, and how we all needed to keep wearing masks. To me, it sounded too much like Chicken Little. The most recent announcement feels inconsistent.

In my view, public messaging needs to be clear, relatively simple, but ALSO- and this is the key part- the public needs to know the objective. Why is the public being asked to do something?

In my view, a better approach would have been to set a clear goal and clear benchmarks, and how close we were getting to those benchmarks. A better message, in my view, would have been two part. this is just a sample of the type of message they could have said, not actual specific numbers:

We will be able to begin relax the mask mandate - be degrees- when we reach two critical benchmarks:
A. 65% of the population is vaccinated (or some other number)
AND
B. We see national case numbers drop below 10 per 100,000 population. (or some other number).

Please do your part to help us get to these benchmarks, because we are in this together. We are all on the same team.

C. It also feels weird to me that this was relaxed less than a week after 12-15 year olds became eligible to be vaccinated. Relaxing the mask mandate sends a message that 12-15 year olds - as people- do not matter. To me, it would have been better to give that age group a minimum of 2 weeks to get shot #1/partial vaccination.

I think the message would have been all around much stronger if the CDC's message had been more inclusive. It was a missed opportunity, because the message could have been done in such a way that it would have encouraged 12-15 year old to be part of the solution! The message could have been something like WHEN we get 50% of teens vaccinated, then we'll reach our goal of having 65% of the population vaccinated. We are SO close! Help us reach our goal!

And just....well..12-15 years olds are VERY effective at persuaders. Every vaccinated teen has the ability to talk their parents into getting vaccinated. Eager to-be-vaccinated year-olds vs. scared-of-a-little-needle adults.

We could have had a positive message out of this as a way to incentivize reluctant adults.
Despite the fact that I'm happy about the change, I agree that it is more terrible and inconsistent messaging from the CDC. It makes no more sense than the Director's doom and gloom did a couple weeks ago. These wild swings do nothing to engender confidence in our decision makers.

I'd like to have even a reasonable theory about what brought this about in such an abrupt way this week.

DisneyDebRob

Hyperbole has been around for years. So I apologize if you just learned about it from Rachel Meadows.
If you really think there are thousands of people freaking out about not masking their kids up outside... well. That's fine. I think that's a complete over statement and feel the majority are either fine with it, or thrilled they don't have to taste their sweat outside.
I pulled the plug on my cable 4 years ago. Just had to google the Rachael person. Lol Never saw her nor do I get any cable but local networks. Good try though!
Edit-google says it Maddow by the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom