2006 Barbossa? or 1967 Captain?

Pepper's Ghost

I prefer the original Captain, but still don’t mind Jack and Barbossa being in the ride. I’m happy of all the characters in those movies they could have shoehorned into the ride, they stuck with those two. Barbossa was my favorite part of those movies.
Have to agree with all of this. My only fear is that Disney starts mining the more recent terrible sequels for other characters. I'm okay with Barbossa and Capt'n Jack, maybe even a tasteful addition of Davy Jones, but any extension beyond that, and they'll lose me too.

Oh yeah, and bring back the original Red, the other "wenches", and the auction scene. Modern wokeness doesn't change the horrific realism of history. Not that the ride is a history lesson, but you don't see televisions in any of the scenes, or planes flying overhead in any of the pirate scenes... because it just wasn't the way it was back then.

Btw, please don't read my wokeness comment as me disparaging the appropriate recent correcting of a society that has mistreated so many based on sex, race, religion, etc. I fully support it, but I don't support the rewriting of history and pretending it didn't happen. Rewriting/erasing history dooms us to repeat it.

APirateoftheCaribbean

Original Poster
I dont mind barbosa but overall I prefer the original ride. Theming it to the movies will make it age, the original was timeless
Agreed. One day, which will be a sad day for many people, the POTC franchise will be forgotten. It's very likely then, Disney will have no other choice but revert to its original state.

ppete1975

1621022221982.png

Max Duane

Have to agree with all of this. My only fear is that Disney starts mining the more recent terrible sequels for other characters. I'm okay with Barbossa and Capt'n Jack, maybe even a tasteful addition of Davy Jones, but any extension beyond that, and they'll lose me too.

Oh yeah, and bring back the original Red, the other "wenches", and the auction scene. Modern wokeness doesn't change the horrific realism of history. Not that the ride is a history lesson, but you don't see televisions in any of the scenes, or planes flying overhead in any of the pirate scenes... because it just wasn't the way it was back then.

Btw, please don't read my wokeness comment as me disparaging the appropriate recent correcting of a society that has mistreated so many based on sex, race, religion, etc. I fully support it, but I don't support the rewriting of history and pretending it didn't happen. Rewriting/erasing history dooms us to repeat it.
I totally agree with you. I usually swing left politically, but share a similar outlook on history as you do. I don’t get angry or upset by any of the changes made to attractions- many of them are justified, and I’m all for evolution within the parks. I suppose if the ride was at any other park without “Disney” in the name, things would be different. I wish people on the internet weren’t so quick to claim “racist” or “misogynist” without even knowing the person’s full outlook or who may be on the other end of the screen.

Pepper's Ghost

I totally agree with you. I usually swing left politically, but share a similar outlook on history as you do. I don’t get angry or upset by any of the changes made to attractions- many of them are justified, and I’m all for evolution within the parks. I suppose if the ride was at any other park without “Disney” in the name, things would be different. I wish people on the internet weren’t so quick to claim “racist” or “misogynist” without even knowing the person’s full outlook or who may be on the other end of the screen.
I'm in agreement. Not to discuss specifics, my beliefs put me truly in the middle as an Independent, but this is one item really irritates me. I feel that trying to erase or misrepresent the awful history and mistakes of the past is a disservice to those who've fought so hard to correct those injustices. The injustices of the present need to be corrected as well, but we should never whitewash them in the future and pretend they didn't happen. I don't feel that the PoTC ride ever treated the auction scene as a celebration of what used to be. It was just representing them as they were.

Max Duane

I'm in agreement. Not to discuss specifics, my beliefs put me truly in the middle as an Independent, but this is one item really irritates me. I feel that trying to erase or misrepresent the awful history and mistakes of the past is a disservice to those who've fought so hard to correct those injustices. The injustices of the present need to be corrected as well, but we should never whitewash them in the future and pretend they didn't happen. I don't feel that the PoTC ride ever treated the auction scene as a celebration of what used to be. It was just representing them as they were.
This is why I love this blog and the majority of its community. Sure you get trolls and angry posters here and then who just argue for the sake of arguing, but it’s nice to have users you can actually discuss controversial topics about the parks with in a friendly manner that doesn’t resort to negativity or name calling.
Your explanation is worded better than mine and gets the point across.

Raineman

I only rode the original PoTC once, 31 years ago, so "my" version that I have been on dozens of times is the one with the movie characters, so it is the only one I know. I would love to see the differences, so I'll be eagerly waiting for @marni1971 's new video.

NickMaio

Nicely put - - - -
I prefer the original ride.
I like the additions of POC movies, but I would have prefered to find them instead of having the characters front and center.

Weather_Lady

The incorporation of "newer" characters, especially the popular Jack Sparrow, doesn't bother me. What does bother me is that some parts of the attraction now don't make sense, as a story, because of the way they were shoehorned in. (E.g., we suddenly have Carlos the Magistrate and his wife-with-the-cornball-Spanish-accent trying to protect Jack Sparrow even to the point of death, when the whole point of the ride is that all pirates are the "bad guys," such that there's no reason they should want to protect one. The Imagineers could simply have replaced the former captain with Barbossa in the scene and used the same dialogue (seeking treasure, not the whereabouts of a rival pirate), and it would have been subtle and still worked with the pre-existing plot: instead, they seem to have wanted to jam in the IP as obviously and hamfistedly as possible.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom