News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

J4546

MMRR was a complete replacement for another darkride ride, just like harry potter motorbike coaster was a replacement of the dual coaster that used to be there.

and also, like you said Universal uses a lot of screen based attractions that are way easier to build but also make me sick to my stomach so i cant ride them lol

ppete1975

You forgot Runaway Railway in 2020 for WDW.

But I would ask (this is something I truly don't know), how many were a reimagining rather than new at WDW vs Uni.

I know Frozen and Railway both were replacing / reimagining a ride that was already there.
thats what happens when you are going through 5 source materials while pretending to do your day job lol. So was hulk (and really wasnt even a reimagining)... i really wouldnt include mickey as a reimaging just like i wouldnt consider guardians a reimaging. Yes same building but new ride vehicle systems not reusing tracks really nothing but the building reused.

And lets be honest fallon and fast and furious are not anywhere near disney standards. If it wasnt for harry potter id say disney has beaten them in everything ride vs ride (minus of course roller coasters which disney isnt a roller coaster park. The fear is epic universe and universal adding tons of stuff constantly while disney builds huge projects (that recently havent even gotten that high of marks). And disney was stagnant for so long that they are soooo far behind, a pause isnt a great strategy.
now if they announced bald/villains mountain coming in 2024 along with some more smaller attractions at all 4 parks id say they were keeping up lol

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
yeah but theyre still spending multiple billions in paris and in usa right now, building so many things as we speak. theres like 20 major cool things happening right now and people are never satisfied lol.

Care to discuss the net new attractions from 2006-2014? Or the capacity of what is replacing existing attractions, like MMRR vs GMR? Celebrating the catch up for 10+ years of not spending/misguided spending isn’t impressive or worthy of praise. And as mentioned, we won’t even discuss where the funds have been directed, nor the amount of spending vs profits generated by P&R/PEP in the same time period.

Texas84

yeah but theyre still spending multiple billions in paris and in usa right now, building so many things as we speak. theres like 20 major cool things happening right now and people are never satisfied lol.
It's only on fan sites like this one.

ppete1975

Care to discuss the net new attractions from 2006-2014? Or the capacity of what is replacing existing attractions, like MMRR vs GMR? Celebrating the catch up for 10+ years of not spending/misguided spending isn’t impressive or worthy of praise. And as mentioned, we won’t even discuss where the funds have been directed, nor the amount of spending vs profits generated by P&R/PEP in the same time period.
and dont forget universal has singapore japan and california as well..

RSoxNo1

It’s called playing catch up. Without discussing budgets and allocations.

since 2014 disney 4parks
2014 was magic kingdoms last (seven dwarves)
2016 frozen ever after
2017 avatar
2017 avatar
2018 slinky dog
2018 alien
2019 lightning mcqueen
2019 star wars
2019 star wars
SINCE 2014 universal
2014 escape from gringotts
2014 hogwarts express
2016 kong
2016 hulk rebuild
2017 race through new york
2018 fast and furious
2019 motorbike adventure
2020 bourne
2021 JP

its the same.. and disney has 3 coming then they are done (for 4 parks) universal has a ton coming down the pipe line. And disney will have nothing till 2026=28ish based on their horrible build times. Universal even though there rides in general are screens and some have not lived up to the hype, build much quicker... when did the new jw roller coaster start... it seems like it was right before covid (could be wrong) Hopefully next year they announce alot and speed up their build time... but i have doubts.
From the beginning of the Iger administration there was a very big gap of major projects at WDW because Iger and Rasulo felt the theme park market had matured. New Fantasyland was done because Magic Kingdom needed a capacity boost, not an attendance boost. It took 5 years for a Central Florida response to Harry Potter.

flutas

thats what happens when you are going through 5 source materials while pretending to do your day job lol. So was hulk (and really wasnt even a reimagining)... i really wouldnt include mickey as a reimaging just like i wouldnt consider guardians a reimaging. Yes same building but new ride vehicle systems not reusing tracks really nothing but the building reused.

And lets be honest fallon and fast and furious are not anywhere near disney standards. If it wasnt for harry potter id say disney has beaten them in everything ride vs ride (minus of course roller coasters which disney isnt a roller coaster park. The fear is epic universe and universal adding tons of stuff constantly while disney builds huge projects (that recently havent even gotten that high of marks). And disney was stagnant for so long that they are soooo far behind, a pause isnt a great strategy.
now if they announced bald/villains mountain coming in 2024 along with some more smaller attractions at all 4 parks id say they were keeping up lol

Yeah I would consider railway as replacing rather than a reimagining.

My biggest question (again I don't know the answer off the top of my head) is did universal actually add more rides vs Disney. With Epic Universe coming down the pipeline I would guess that would put Uni far in front of Disney for new rides added.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
From the beginning of the Iger administration there was a very big gap of major projects at WDW because Iger and Rasulo felt the theme park market had matured. New Fantasyland was done because Magic Kingdom needed a capacity boost, not an attendance boost. It took 5 years for a Central Florida response to Harry Potter.
You mean they forgot Fastpass Plus was designed to remove the need to build capex projects?

The Aracuan Bird

And 7 years after NFL, Magic Kingdom (and Fantasyland) still need a capacity boost. The omnimover helps, and the coaster replaced a vacant spot that used to be a attraction, but they lost a dark ride for a meet and greet that takes even less guests, and I’d argue that the circus area had way more to do when it was ToonTown Fair.

Add a dark ride here, add a dark ride there, and then we can talk about improved capacity.

RSoxNo1

And 7 years after NFL, Magic Kingdom (and Fantasyland) still need a capacity boost. The omnimover helps, and the coaster replaced a vacant spot that used to be a attraction, but they lost a dark ride for a meet and greet that takes even less guests, and I’d argue that the circus area had way more to do when it was ToonTown Fair.

Add a dark ride here, add a dark ride there, and then we can talk about improved capacity.
I figured they're probably about 4-7K guests per hour short from a capacity standpoint. It's a big reason why I've long suggested the removal of Small World and the Speedway to better utilize that space (and yes, I recognize how efficient Small World is).

ppete1975

Yeah I would consider railway as replacing rather than a reimagining.

My biggest question (again I don't know the answer off the top of my head) is did universal actually add more rides vs Disney. With Epic Universe coming down the pipeline I would guess that would put Uni far in front of Disney for new rides added.
pretty close to a tie, though some of universals flopped, and prob wont last 5 more years (FF and fallon) and most are screen heavy... they are still new attractions. And disney has made a bad habit of removing rides and replacing instead of keeping rides and creating new

UNCgolf

I figured they're probably about 4-7K guests per hour short from a capacity standpoint. It's a big reason why I've long suggested the removal of Small World and the Speedway to better utilize that space (and yes, I recognize how efficient Small World is).

The Speedway desperately needs to go. They could build two high quality attractions on that footprint if they were efficient (not that they have been very efficient with space recently).

ppete1975

The Speedway desperately needs to go. They could build two high quality attractions on that footprint if they were efficient.
theres no reason to replace anything. And it eats a decent amount of guests. They need to use some of the empty spaces they have and lots that have never been used. Worst case push out the boundaries. Disney shouldnt even be thinking of replacing at this point unless its to plus a ride thats already there.

J4546

as much as i dislike the speedway in DL here in CA and want to see it replaced, I kinda like it in MK because with Tron and a (hopefully) Tron-esq retheming in the future, that area could be pretty cool.

ppete1975

why would you get rid of one of the most iconic famous efficient and loved attractions? And i know ive beaten a dead horse, but the speedway fills a purpose and after all of its cutting down its not that big of a space anymore. Sure make it electric and maybe reimagine the scenery, to me the scenery should be plussed alot.

UNCgolf

theres no reason to replace anything. And it eats a decent amount of guests. They need to use some of the empty spaces they have and lots that have never been used. Worst case push out the boundaries. Disney shouldnt even be thinking of replacing at this point unless its to plus a ride thats already there.

In most cases I'd completely agree with you but the Speedway is an ancient relic that actually makes the park worse (the sound, the smell, etc.) and kids can experience a better version of it in numerous other places. It brings essentially nothing to the park beyond capacity, and they could easily increase the capacity with two new attractions. Even just changing it to electric cars would help, but they could do something so much better with that space.

There is no additional land to build something in Tomorrowland (beyond the currently empty buildings which need to be filled, but they can't build any major attractions in those spaces like they could on the Speedway plot) now that TRON is going in.

ppete1975

as much as i dislike the speedway in DL here in CA and want to see it replaced, I kinda like it in MK because with Tron and a (hopefully) Tron-esq retheming in the future, that area could be pretty cool.
i was thinking of keeping it more of in the fantasy land type role and have the scenery like storybook canals (something i wish we had)

RSoxNo1

why would you get rid of one of the most iconic famous efficient and loved attractions? And i know ive beaten a dead horse, but the speedway fills a purpose and after all of its cutting down its not that big of a space anymore. Sure make it electric and maybe reimagine the scenery, to me the scenery should be plussed alot.
Revisiting things I've said before. I would move it's a small world to EPCOT and find a better spot for a Speedway style attraction. The move should have been integrating it into Toy Story Land on a layered attraction space, but that ship has sailed. I don't oppose the Speedway staying in MK, but I would like that entire area redone so that the footprint isn't exclusively the Speedway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom